Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

And one final thought for Greg who split this discussion into its own thread...

I completely agree with your decision to correct the thread drift. It's important to keep things on topic and I regret my part in hijacking the other discussion.

BUT...

It is a condescending and petty thread title. You seem to overlook the fact that as Bartowel grows and adds new members these sorts of topics are as new to newbies as they were to you first go around. Most new posters aren't digging through the archives to read threads from yesteryear on any given topic. While topics discussing the pros and cons of the LCBO might seem like beating the proverbial dead horse I'd urge you to resist scoffing at such discussion. Those of us who have been around a while have to fight the urge to be holier than thou...and I say that as much to myself as I say it to you Greg. I'm guilty of late being a little less than tolerant, especially with newer posters, and I'm trying to fix that.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Completely agree Jon about repeating information once in a while. Maybe people who are tired of others airing their concerns with the system are the ones that should chill. It's their curmudgeonly bitching that doesn't make sense to new members, to lurkers, and to those surfing the web & taking in the situation with fresh eyes. Those newer people are some of the more valuable, interesting participants on Bar Towel, and who benefit, so why not fan the fire a little bit?

Anyone can make just as good a point in a way that is classy.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Jon Walker wrote:It is a condescending and petty thread title.
Fair enough. Someone suggest an alternative one and I'll change it.

(Seriously. Not trying to be snarky - I'd like to change it, just drawing a blank on something suitable.)

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Id say offical LCBO hate thread. That way there would be no need for anything else. Just throw any bitching in there.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I went with "Debating & Hating the LCBO", which I think is a fair description.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

phat matt wrote:Id say offical LCBO hate thread. That way there would be no need for anything else. Just throw any bitching in there.
I agree.

While we're at it, let's do the official "Ontario is a Communist state according to ME, cause I can't get the beer I want" thread, the official "I should just move to Soviet Russia, cause Ontario is exactly the same in every way", thread.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

SteelbackGuy wrote: While we're at it, let's do the official "Ontario is a Communist state according to ME, cause I can't get the beer I want" thread, the official "I should just move to Soviet Russia, cause Ontario is exactly the same in every way", thread.
That's great. And so everyone's happy let's split off the discussion of 'nobody should ever discuss anything that might be seen as negative or critical, because it makes me grumpy.'

;)
In Beerum Veritas

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

SteelbackGuy wrote:"I should just move to Soviet Russia, cause Ontario is exactly the same in every way", thread.
After moving to Russia, Olga wistfully yearned for the hoppy goodness of Ontario beers.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

phirleh wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:"I should just move to Soviet Russia, cause Ontario is exactly the same in every way", thread.
After moving to Russia, Olga wistfully yearned for the hoppy goodness of Ontario beers.
Hey at least Olga can drink beer in public! I guess that's why Russia is such an apocalyptic nightmare of a country, free-range alcohol. Why don't they think of the children!*

*Because the kids are already drunk too.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

JesseM wrote:I guess that's why Russia is such an apocalyptic nightmare of a country, free-range alcohol.
I think this is what will happen in Ontario with the pending regulation loosening.
Beer tent, shmeer tent :wink:
Last edited by phirleh on Fri May 27, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

One last one...
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: While we're at it, let's do the official "Ontario is a Communist state according to ME, cause I can't get the beer I want" thread, the official "I should just move to Soviet Russia, cause Ontario is exactly the same in every way", thread.
That's great. And so everyone's happy let's split off the discussion of 'nobody should ever discuss anything that might be seen as negative or critical, because it makes me grumpy.'

;)
You're smarter than that, Jonas.
You know damn well what I'm talking about, and I'd expect someone of your intelligence to actually get it.

Everyone is allowed to complain and make completely ignorant comments comparing Ontario to actual communist states in Europe, but as soon as I make a crack about how silly those people are (and they are silly), I'm the bad guy, am I?

Interesting, and I suppose, not completely surprising.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Brewbert

Post by Brewbert »

Back on topic?

I'm one of those people who drives to buffalo once a month to get some beer. I've never been caught (knock on wood) so I never have to pay duty taxes or any of that nonsense.

The beer you can get down there is just -so- much better, for the most part, but that aside the prices, espeically two weeks ago when I went one dollar canadian was like 1.09 us or something awesome like that, are so amazing.

I saw a 24 pack of Molson Canadian (yuck, I know) for 15.99! 15.99!!! What.. the FUCK? We pay over double that for our own god damn beer. This system is broken, I'm almost considering quitting alcohol forever out of spite, so i don't pay our government 40% tax when I want a freakin 6 pack.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Brewbert wrote:Back on topic?

I saw a 24 pack of Molson Canadian (yuck, I know) for 15.99! 15.99!!! What.. the FUCK? We pay over double that for our own god damn beer. This system is broken, I'm almost considering quitting alcohol forever out of spite, so i don't pay our government 40% tax when I want a freakin 6 pack.
just a funny anecdotal aside to this. 3 of us did a premiere gourmet run, bought about 6 beers each. for the same price of those 18 beers we could have bought about 80 keystone (or some other garbage beer) in the states.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/999 ... study-says
It’s easier for minors to illegally buy a six-pack of beer at an LCBO or The Beer Store outlet in Ontario than it is for them to buy a pack of cigarettes from a chain convenience store, according to a research company’s “secret shopper” survey.
I guess this takes away "social responsibility" arguments, eh?