Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

General LCBO Debate & Discussion Thread

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Thanks fellas.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

A great day for yours truly at the LCBO as my local store in Belleville has just received Nickel Brook Cuvee Reserve 2017, New Holland Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout, and last, but certainly not least, Boulevard Brewing Bourbon Barrel Quad 2016. I'm very excited about the Boulevard offering, as several years back I had a bottle of The Sixth Glass Quad and absolutely loved it, considering it one of the best quads I've ever had.

Color me pleased!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

That Quad was stellar last year. One of my favourite beers of the year. Hope you find this year's version to your liking!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Boned on the Pappy sweepstakes again. Sigh.
lister

portwood

Post by portwood »

lister wrote:Boned on the Pappy sweepstakes again. Sigh.
you should be happy ... pappy ain't what it used to be

$480 is alot of money for liquefied wood (which is what 23 year old straight Bourbon tastes like)

...and I bet you'd enjoy 10 bottles of (overpriced) Bellwoods Skeleton Key's* more than a single bottle of current 15yo Buffalo Trace pappy

* or even more bottles of a myriad of other recently available barrel aged stouts
@markhamwhisky

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Anyone know anything about the Omnipollo Zodiak IPA canning dates? It says 6/25/2018 on the bottom, so obviously they are best before... but I'm wondering if anyone knows how far out the cans are dated from the canning day. Six months? I haven't had it yet because it hasn't been around my hood and I didn't seek it out, so it was a nice surprise... and if it's six months... then still pretty damn fresh!

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Blasphomet wrote:Anyone know anything about the Omnipollo Zodiak IPA canning dates? It says 6/25/2018 on the bottom, so obviously they are best before... but I'm wondering if anyone knows how far out the cans are dated from the canning day. Six months? I haven't had it yet because it hasn't been around my hood and I didn't seek it out, so it was a nice surprise... and if it's six months... then still pretty damn fresh!
Can't say I do but it's contract-brewed here in Toronto, so it definitely shouldn't be too old. I've bought it a few times now at various LCBOs and it's always been fresh and tasty.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

all the homers that use Boozewatch.ca have probably noticed it's been down for a week. I contacted the owner and he was kind enough to renew the domain 8)

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

So with the PCs and Doug Ford soon to be in power in Ontario and supposedly a willingness to make further changes to how booze is done here, what agenda should bars, breweries/wineries/cideries and the general public be asking of the soon-to-be new administration? (Got to get something good out of a bad situation.)

- bars doing takeaway bottles and growlers?
- Ontario breweries (OCB and otherwise) having their own stores across the province, not just on-premise?
- drop the ridiculous restrictions the LCBO has on them as demanded by the Beer Store?
- change the hours grocery stores and soon corner stores can sell alcohol, no longer matching the LCBO and Beer Store?
- open up the importation of alcohol more? More draft beer agents? Easier time bringing in imports? Not just for stores but private citizens?
- allow for drinking in parks (but up the fines, etc for drunken disturbance)?

I'm sure there's more...
lister

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

#4. Ran into this yesterday in fact.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

My guess is Doug does nothing once he sees how big of cash cow it really is....

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Masterplan wrote:My guess is Doug does nothing once he sees how big of cash cow it really is....
Couldn't disagree more. Conservatives love dismantling profitable public corporations and then selling off the parts. They would much rather see that cash cow being milked by their friends and cronies in the private sector.

Doug himself may not be especially interested in the details of the situation (beyond his campaign to bring back buck-a-beer), but the PCs definitely are.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

darmokandjalad wrote:Conservatives love dismantling profitable public corporations and then selling off the parts. They would much rather see that cash cow being milked by their friends and cronies in the private sector.
hmmm. 91 years since a Conservative government started the LCBO and 11 Conservative Premiers before Doug Ford all point to you being incorrect.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:Conservatives love dismantling profitable public corporations and then selling off the parts. They would much rather see that cash cow being milked by their friends and cronies in the private sector.
hmmm. 91 years since a Conservative government started the LCBO and 11 Conservative Premiers before Doug Ford all point to you being incorrect.
If you're seriously suggesting that the PCs will keep their hands off the LCBO explicitly because it was originally a brainchild of the conservative movement a century ago then... well, thank you for saving me the time that I would have otherwise wasted attempting to have an intelligent discussion with you.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Cite the evidence that "privatize the LCBO" was part of the new government's platform. I'm sure you will find it was not.