Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

If it's not LCBO are you likely to buy it?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Where would you USUALLY buy beer in Ontario?

LCBO
69%
TBS and LCBO
15%
I'm a freak that mostly shops at TBS
2%
I live close enough to the USA or Quebec to mostly shop those places
15%

Total votes: 54

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

If it's not LCBO are you likely to buy it?

Post by Belgian »

It's just that I'm chronically lazy about looking for beers at TBS aka "The bottle-return service". Yet some good stuff may be arriving there soon!

I guess if some good Ontario brewers (or importers) have some good stuff coming to TBS they should shout it loud here on BT?

Also add your comments what's great at TBS right now.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

What about your local brewer? Leave some more money in their pockets!

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

I will only go to TBS if I know there is something there I may like, I will never go in and browse their selection. And of course to return my bottles.

Belgian wrote: Also add your comments what's great at TBS right now.
Right now Mad Tom. And Unibroue beers seem to be popping up at Beer Stores around me.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:What about your local brewer? Leave some more money in their pockets!
Goes without saying for Great Lakes, Black Oak and Amstderdam. Those depend on store hours & beer availability & how much driving I have time for.
RayOhm wrote:
Belgian wrote:Also add your comments what's great at TBS right now.
Right now Mad Tom. And Unibroue beers seem to be popping up at Beer Stores around me.
This one inspired the thread.
In Beerum Veritas

Streets

Post by Streets »

Belgian wrote: Also add your comments what's great at TBS right now.
Chill wasn't bad this month.

notdan

Post by notdan »

I mainly go to TBS to return bottles, but occasionally pick up a six pack of Trois Pistoles. Will also buy a case of something good once in a while... bought a case of Hoptical there when it first came out. Might try to buy a case of Mad Tom if I can find it here in Ottawa.

I'd say I spend about equal amounts of money at the LCBO and in Gatineau when I'm living in Ottawa, but I'll likely be focusing on Ontario beers this summer before I move to Montreal in the fall.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

LCBO and Buffalo/Michigan runs for me.

The only time I go to TBS is if they have something interesting that the LCBO doesn't have and/or to return bottles. I went there a month or so ago to grab a 6er of Maudite and that is the only time I have been there in the past 2 or 3 years.

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

My purchases are either LCBO or out of province, eg. Buffalo, Michigan or anywhere else I travel. I always bring home (at least) a case :)

Been to TBS for bottle return and any exclusives, like Paddock Wood and will for Mad Tom (only realized it was at TBS today)!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

mad tom is the first thing ive paid for at tbs in some time, mostly i use tbs for turning empties in LFDM 6ers

i used to but true north stuff from a self serve tbs in mississauga but i havnt done that in 2 years

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I haven't stepped foot inside a TBS in a year maybe. I don't even go to return empties because it will cost more in TTC tokens than I get from the bottles I can carry and it isn't worth my time of a 20+min walk each way carrying empties. I have 5 LCBO's within 1km of my place, so I get majority of my beer there.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

LCBO.

TBS for empties and perhaps once a year beer purchase usually up north where for the neighbouring stores, TBS is better.
lister

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

Not only do the LCBOs in my area have a better selection of beer than the Beer Store, I also like the idea of being able to check to see if the beer I'm buying is coming off of a dusty shelf. I've purchased Unibroue and Wellington products from the beer store that were probably on the shelves for a year.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Before the Mad Tom, the last time i've shopped in a beerstore for myself was to get some dusty Trois Pistol. More recently tho I went in to get a 24 of tankhouse for a friend, and I realized it was such a long time since i'd been in a walk-in store cause i was shocked to see their (be it small) selection of ontario brews not in the LC, ie Big Rock. Now i'll go for mad tom, but mainly to return my lcbo bottles. And of course when i can I like to pick up straight from the brewer.

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

I have to confess it's been a long time since I've been in TBS...last year, perhaps, and that was to grab some Black Oak PA. I'm also the lazy sod that throws his empties into the blue box. Years ago I took a few cases of Tankhouse back to TBS to return, and the returnee came down with a case of "Do we take this"-itis.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

TBS is a filthy pit reserved for Bud & bottle collectors. I keep my distance :)