Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

complaint about LCBO employee (split from Rogue thread)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

complaint about LCBO employee (split from Rogue thread)

Post by mgmoney »

Friday --brock and kingston rd store in pickering...
Me: you guys have any Rogue in the back
LCBO moob: Yeah but its not out yet
Me: Yeah i know can you go in the back and get me some
Moob: No our beer guy isnt here so I cant put it out
Me: What do you mean? Just please go get some bottles , there is a product code and price they will scan it for me at the front
Moob: No i cant do that, our beer guy isnt here
Me: Are your parents related? (as I walk out)

true story...but yeah LCBO rules!!!!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mgmoney wrote:Friday --brock and kingston rd store in pickering...
Me: What do you mean? Just please go get some bottles , there is a product code and price they will scan it for me at the front

I call bullshit on that story.

Did you ask to speak to a manager? Assistant? No one would tell you they couldn't sell a product because a beer guy wasn't in. And even if they did, all you'd need to do is speak to a manager and the employee would be reprimanded immediately and you'd get your beer.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

SteelbackGuy wrote:

Did you ask to speak to a manager? Assistant? No one would tell you they couldn't sell a product because a beer guy wasn't in. And even if they did, all you'd need to do is speak to a manager and the employee would be reprimanded immediately and you'd get your beer.
I call bullshit on your calling of bullshit.

Last week I was at the Market LCBO. Online inventory was showing stock for 4 Rogue beers. I was interested in 2 of the 4. As none were yet on the shelf, I asked for help. I told the employee which two I was interested in. The employee went into the back, and emerged with two bottles of one of the beers I was not interested in. I re-iterated which two I WAS interested in. He went back again, and again returned with another Rogue beer that I wasn't interested in. I said "thanks, but this still isn't what I'm after... I'm interested in the two you haven't brought out yet. Are they back there?" ... and this was his response. "Yes, I saw them back there as well, but I'm not going to bring them out now, I'm too busy."

So, maybe he was too busy, maybe he was frustrated with himself for being retarded and not bringing the two I wanted the first time, after I was very clear about which ones I wanted. I dunno, at that point I wasn't going to argue anymore, and I went home with some Double Dead Guy instead, which I originally wasn't interested in. I've had terrible, TERRIBLE service over and over and over again at the Market store, from all sorts of employees.

I know you're a pro Len, but this shit happens. A lot.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

That's a really annoying experience. And Len, while it's true that some LCBO employees are exemplary (like the woman at the Front/Jarvis store who did the opposite for me and was incredibly helpful and polite getting the Rogue from the back for me), but this kind of stuff definitely happens too. For what it's worth though, the beer guy (and the manager) at that Brock Road location are very good. Too bad you didn't encounter one of them instead of whoever this CSR is.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

this really did happen, what have i got to gain by making this up? Anyway I was frustrated because this also happened with Crazy Canuck at this location so instead of asking for the manager I just left before making a scene...i shouldnt have to ask for a manager every time I want service, isn't that what a CSR is a customer service rep? I am in customer service and if i did what this moob did I probably wouldnt have a job, if i get complaints escalated to my manager Im in a shit load of trouble...yet these guys have no concerns in the world it seems...i dont want to paint all LCBO employees in the same light, but I am finding it harder and harder to deal with this beauracrcy...if you work at a place you should be educated as to what you are selling...this would not be accepted in any other store or business..yet we cower down to LCBO employees all the time...

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

On a related note...

Went to a location in Ottawa last week looking for DDG as it was showing in stock. The only employee I could find in the aisles first thought I was talking about a wine. None on shelves. He told me it was impossible that they had any out back, that he was just back there, blah blah. Sure, I could have made a scene, called him a liar, asked for a manager, etc, but I shouldn't have to. It's possible they didn't have it as well, and he was right. Making a scene and asking for a manager would have just made me out to be a douche anyway.

I also couldn't really wait around for a manager as my 5 year old was doing the "I will crap my pants soon dance" and the LCBO employee kindly told me he couldn't use their washroom for "insurance reasons" and pointed me to a Loblaws a block away.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

biegaman wrote:
That's a really annoying experience. And Len, while it's true that some LCBO employees are exemplary (like the woman at the Front/Jarvis store who did the opposite for me and was incredibly helpful and polite getting the Rogue from the back for me), but this kind of stuff definitely happens too. For what it's worth though, the beer guy (and the manager) at that Brock Road location are very good. Too bad you didn't encounter one of them instead of whoever this CSR is.
I find it is random whether an LCBO employee is good or not. It is based on the individual's work ethic, there doesn't seem to be an incentive to be a good employee if they aren't motivated to do customer service themselves. When I went to get Rogue products from the St Lawrence Market store, the women was beyond helpful/pleasant in finding the products for me in the back (could have been same employee that you encountered). This doesn't always happen though.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

JesseMcG wrote: Last week I was at the Market LCBO. Online inventory was showing stock for 4 Rogue beers. I was interested in 2 of the 4. As none were yet on the shelf, I asked for help. I told the employee which two I was interested in. The employee went into the back, and emerged with two bottles of one of the beers I was not interested in. I re-iterated which two I WAS interested in. He went back again, and again returned with another Rogue beer that I wasn't interested in. I said "thanks, but this still isn't what I'm after... I'm interested in the two you haven't brought out yet. Are they back there?" ... and this was his response. "Yes, I saw them back there as well, but I'm not going to bring them out now, I'm too busy."

So, maybe he was too busy, maybe he was frustrated with himself for being retarded and not bringing the two I wanted the first time, after I was very clear about which ones I wanted. I dunno, at that point I wasn't going to argue anymore, and I went home with some Double Dead Guy instead, which I originally wasn't interested in. I've had terrible, TERRIBLE service over and over and over again at the Market store, from all sorts of employees.

I had a similar experience, although the employee's were at least civil and friendly enough. They did seem busy. I didn't push it because I knew I'd be coming back and figured I could do worse than getting a bottle of Brutal IPA by 'mistake'.

IMHO I think it has to do more with the fact that most Lickbow employee's know dick-all about beer, and more importantly don't give two shits. I get the impression one Rogue bomber is the same as another to some. I can understand if it's not your thing, and it's hard to keep up with all the new beers coming in all the time (there's just so many, it's like, geez come on...:P), though I still think there should be some effort made to be at least somewhat knowledgable about what you're selling. Mind you, I've never really had a horrible experience at any of the Lickbow's in Kitcherloo. There was just one time when a middle-aged female employee made some comment to another while getting something for me from the back, something vaguely condescending about 'those beer clubs'. I chose to ignore it and move on since she got what I asked for and was still fairly friendly.

Streets

Post by Streets »

kwjd wrote:I find it is random whether an LCBO employee is good or not.
And even when they seem to be good, the result is usually still disappointing.

After being told that all the Rogue stock at Dundurn was 'spoken for', the CSR kindly took my contact information and said they'd let me know if there was any possibilty of me getting my hands on some Brutal IPA. Well I guess whoever the beer was 'spoken for' by didn't end up purchasing all of it, and 11 bottles made it to the shelf the next day. Of course I didn't get any notification from the kind CSR, and only found out that stock became available because a friend happened to stop in and saw it on the shelf...

Dundurn also had 4 DDG listed on Saturday and those were also 'spoken for', however today I notice they list 3 in stock, so I guess whoever reserved the 4 bottles only ended up grabbing 1? I was going to call over there today and see what the deal is, but it's probably not worth the hassle.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JesseMcG wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:

I call bullshit on your calling of bullshit.

Last week I was at the Market LCBO. Online inventory was showing stock for 4 Rogue beers. I was interested in 2 of the 4. As none were yet on the shelf, I asked for help. I told the employee which two I was interested in. The employee went into the back, and emerged with two bottles of one of the beers I was not interested in. I re-iterated which two I WAS interested in. He went back again, and again returned with another Rogue beer that I wasn't interested in. I said "thanks, but this still isn't what I'm after... I'm interested in the two you haven't brought out yet. Are they back there?" ... and this was his response. "Yes, I saw them back there as well, but I'm not going to bring them out now, I'm too busy."

Why haven't you gone to management?
Then I'll call bullshit, on your calling bullshit on me calling bullshit.

I simply can't buy these stories. How can an employee say "Yeah, we've got it, but I'm too busy to get it for you"?

It would never ever happen in any store I've worked in, and I've worked in 4. No one would say that. No one would behave in the ways that are talked about on this forum. It is reprehensible.

Perhaps the stories are all true, and they seem to come from the GTA. Perhaps there is a special type of LCBO employee in the GTA. But I wouldn't know about them.

But perhaps I should take a lesson from the pages of these employees. After all, I am painted with the same brush on this forum (not by yourself, Jesse, but by most here). Perhaps I'll just start offering the status quo like all the rest. After all, it is what YOU ALL EXPECT, so I may as well meet expectations. Say goodbye to extra efforts to bring Londoners the extras when I can. Perhaps I shall focus on filling the beer fridge with Max Ice. After all, it is what you expect from a moron like myself..........no?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
How can an employee say "Yeah, we've got it, but I'm too busy to get it for you"?
Three simple words. Unionized government employee.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
How can an employee say "Yeah, we've got it, but I'm too busy to get it for you"?
Three simple words. Unionized government employee.
Fair enough I suppose, but I don't think anyone is sitting down and saying.....

"Yeah, I want to offer the worst service possible and annoy the customers as much as I can, because i belong to a union."

Christ, 3/4 of the employees hate "the union" because they absolutely blue balled us in the last agreement.

But this is interesting. I'm gonna ignore all my instincts and behave like a typical LCBO employee. No extra help for customers on my own time while I am sitting at home, no special beers organized by myself while I am on my own time, and no phone calls to those that I consider valuable customers anymore. Cause I typically call them FROM HOME on my own time. Cause you know, all of us LCBO employees are horrible.

In fact, find another LCBO employee that calls customers on their own time during weekends and time off, just to kept them in the know about beers. You may have a hard time finding that.

Bit I am chastised here and treated like I organized 9/11. Fair enough. I'm done with looking out for everyone else. Get your own beer.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

You remind me of Dante Hicks.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Steelback, I gently suggest might be missing the point. Nobody is complaining about good employees. And people are talking about examples of clearly ineffective service that some have noted to be a predictable pattern. Again not to detract well-deserved recognition of exceptional
& super-helpful people.

It's not our job, either to run around figuring out the store protocol for getting around unhelpful staff. Stop displacing responsibility. In retail, the 'front-line' person who has chosen to deal with the customer has to do it well, OR have to seek a qualified co-worker. If the person doesn't help you or blows you off, the store fails. Period. I'm sorry that's just how retail works, and it's usually a good rationale to review and fire people.

Finally, Steelback is right that it's clever to keep your cool and press for other store help - you'll get the beer - unfortunately, again in retail the typical customer threshold for disappointment is very low, so that is a silly requirement of people. You can never re-train the public to take crappy service in stride - not if it's the LCBO, or any other large important business.

[And sorry to drift off topic, but the Rogue release is a good example of the subject tangent.]
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:You remind me of Dante Hicks.

I'll take that as a compliment, sir. Thank you. Love that character!
Now, I wish I could just close up shop when I felt like it. That would be amazing.