Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Central City Red Racer

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote: These are at least 473 mls, right?
This seems like a rhetorical question. When has Red Racer ever come in a 473ml can?
xocoatl wrote: $2.95 seems reasonable.
Especially for a world class IPA.
SteelbackGuy wrote: You're right. Hmm, it is a great beer, but I'd likely just stick with Crazy Canuck at $2.50 for a local pale in a 473 ml format.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Canuck is an APA and Red Racer is a stronger and hoppier IPA. I've already gone through two cases of Canuck and I'll be buying the same amount of Red Racer (if availability permits). Both beers are well worth the money. If you're more concerned with flavour than price, you don't have to choose between the two.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: These are at least 473 mls, right?
This seems like a rhetorical question. When has Red Racer ever come in a 473ml can?
xocoatl wrote: $2.95 seems reasonable.
Especially for a world class IPA.
SteelbackGuy wrote: You're right. Hmm, it is a great beer, but I'd likely just stick with Crazy Canuck at $2.50 for a local pale in a 473 ml format.
You're comparing apples to oranges. Canuck is an APA and Red Racer is a stronger and hoppier IPA. I've already gone through two cases of Canuck and I'll be buying the same amount of Red Racer (if availability permits). Both beers are well worth the money. If you're more concerned with flavour than price, you don't have to choose between the two.
I'm not sure where this particular attack is coming from Mikey, but I must say I am at least somewhat surprised.I was being genuine with my commentary and questions. I was stating opinions as I see them. We all have different thoughts on these matters.

I don't know about the variance in the distribution of formats for the Red Racer. I never claimed to know that. I simply asked the question. I was hoping that they were 473 mls.Can't a guy hope? I don't know if they have ever come in that format, because I have almost zero experience with the beer. My personal experience is limited to one order which we were all in on. So how am I to become an expert on formats based on that? I am not. They could come in several formats. I wouldn't know, and can only ask as to which ones are available.

Secondly, the apples and oranges argument, while certainly having some validity, really doesn't fly here at all, because I was not comparing styles to other styles. I was comparing price points to products to others at which I hold a certain value. We all do that. And our opinions cannot be wrong because they are OUR OWN. My personal opinion is one that I would rather pay $XX for something local and fairly tasty, as opposed to paying $XXXX for something that may or may not be local, and while certainly more flavourful, may or may not be worth the price point given other recent additions like Smash bomb and Mad Tom.

Again, it is a thought process, and one which I have no objections posting about on here. We all have our own, and I hope we share them.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Red Racer only comes in the standard can size, no larger format available. The price of imports only matters if you feel the value of the beer isn't worth the price being charged. As has been mentioned, 6 packs of Red Racer sell here in B.C. for just under $15 which is $2.50 a can. The price you are paying is a fairly modest increase (IMHO) considering the shipping involved.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Smashbomb is great, Mad Tom is good too. I prefer the bomb though. But they don't come close to Red Racer for me. I will be buying as much as I can afford and enjoying every single one of them. Yes it's not exactly local but it's still Canadian and one of the best Canadian beers out there IMO.
We can get drunker than this!!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

It's definitely going to be $2.95 a can. I have the product number, but not to hand, can post later today if someone hasn't already.

Happy to pay $2.95 and I'm pleasantly surprised by all the hopped-up beers that are popping up this season. Nice to have a bit more choice.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

I was told Central City Red Racer IPA #256594 355 ml can.

Beyond that nothing, no firm price, no firm date, only listed as new in the system and thats it.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Ukie wrote:I was told Central City Red Racer IPA #256594 355 ml can.

Beyond that nothing, no firm price, no firm date, only listed as new in the system and thats it.
The agent (i.e. K6 - the former HMH) had a list of their upcoming seasonals at the LCBO (including more stuff from Charlevoix) and the Red Racer was on there, priced at $2.95.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Gedge wrote:

The agent (i.e. K6 - the former HMH) had a list of their upcoming seasonals at the LCBO (including more stuff from Charlevoix) and the Red Racer was on there, priced at $2.95.
link?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
Gedge wrote:

link?
Maybe it was at session or something?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

matt7215 wrote:
Gedge wrote:

link?
It was a printed list that was handed to me by one of the reps (Tomas) on the patio. The "coming soon" stuff included the Dominus Vobiscum Triple, The DV Lupulus, DDC Peche Mortel and Corne du Diable, and the Trois Mosquetaires Porter Baltique. These are spread out across fall/winter/next spring (for the Lupulus, which was not on the list but mentioned by Tomas). I'll check the list again when I get home as I'm going from memory here (or I'll just scan the bloody thing).

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote: I'm not sure where this particular attack is coming from Mikey, but I must say I am at least somewhat surprised.
LOL. Len - it's not an attack. Like you said, we have different opinions on this beer.

It seemed like you were trying to make the general point that Crazy Canuck is also a hoppy US-style ale that comes in a can, and it's cheaper and 'more local' than Red Racer, so you (and perhaps others) are better off going with the Canuck. I completely disagree with this sentiment.

I'll venture a guess that most beer nerds don't feel they have to choose between the two, when they can happily purchase both, and support two great crafters. It also seemed like you were indirectly complaining about the smaller can size and more expensive price of Red Racer, which completely overlooks the fact that it's a world class IPA, selling at a reasonable price, and unlike the Canuck, it's being shipped halfway across the country. So $2.95 a can ain't bad at all, and it's certainly not high enough for me to overlook the Racer in favour of the local option (like you were suggesting). Lastly, even if we choose to perceive these beers as 'two hoppy Canadian ales,' rather than a 5% APA (apple) and 6.5% IPA (orange), the Racer is the far superior beer IMHO. Canuck is a very good pale, but Red Racer can stand up to the best US-style IPAs out there (again, my opinion).
SteelbackGuy wrote: I don't know about the variance in...formats for the Red Racer...because I have almost zero experience with the beer. They could come in several formats. I wouldn't know, and can only ask (about) which ones are available.

Well you were part of that private order that we did with HMH, in which all of us purchased two 6 packs of the 355ml cans. And it was at Gambrinus in the same format for quite some time. I'm not aware of Red Racer ever being available in any packaged format other than the 355ml can, and Jon Walker's comments confirm this. But it's entirely possible that you didn't know about the single format, in which case I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. ;)
SteelbackGuy wrote: My personal opinion is...that I would rather pay $XX for something local and fairly tasty, as opposed to paying $XXXX for something that...may not be local, and while certainly more flavourful, may not be worth the price point given other recent additions like Smash Bomb and Mad Tom.
Fair enough. However, $0.45 more per can for the Racer does not equate to double the price of the Canuck. Also, out of the local examples that you've mentioned, only Smash Bomb compares to RR in terms of flavour (for me at least). We'll have to agree to disagree Leon - and please DO NOT take it personally. :lol:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

cratez wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: I'm not sure where this particular attack is coming from Mikey, but I must say I am at least somewhat surprised.
LOL. Len - it's not an attack. Like you said, we have different opinions on this beer.

It seemed like you were trying to make the general point that Crazy Canuck is also a hoppy US-style ale that comes in a can, and it's cheaper and 'more local' than Red Racer, so you (and perhaps others) are better off going with the Canuck. I completely disagree with this sentiment.

I'll venture a guess that most beer nerds don't feel they have to choose between the two, when they can happily purchase both, and support two great crafters. It also seemed like you were indirectly complaining about the smaller can size and more expensive price of Red Racer, which completely overlooks the fact that it's a world class IPA, selling at a reasonable price, and unlike the Canuck, it's being shipped halfway across the country. So $2.95 a can ain't bad at all, and it's certainly not high enough for me to overlook the Racer in favour of the local option (like you were suggesting). Lastly, even if we choose to perceive these beers as 'two hoppy Canadian ales,' rather than a 5% APA (apple) and 6.5% IPA (orange), the Racer is the far superior beer IMHO. Canuck is a very good pale, but Red Racer can stand up to the best US-style IPAs out there (again, my opinion).
SteelbackGuy wrote: I don't know about the variance in...formats for the Red Racer...because I have almost zero experience with the beer. They could come in several formats. I wouldn't know, and can only ask (about) which ones are available.

Well you were part of that private order that we did with HMH, in which all of us purchased two 6 packs of the 355ml cans. And it was at Gambrinus in the same format for quite some time. I'm not aware of Red Racer ever being available in any packaged format other than the 355ml can, and Jon Walker's comments confirm this. But it's entirely possible that you didn't know about the single format, in which case I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. ;)
SteelbackGuy wrote: My personal opinion is...that I would rather pay $XX for something local and fairly tasty, as opposed to paying $XXXX for something that...may not be local, and while certainly more flavourful, may not be worth the price point given other recent additions like Smash Bomb and Mad Tom.
Fair enough. However, $0.45 more per can for the Racer does not equate to double the price of the Canuck. Also, out of the local examples that you've mentioned, only Smash Bomb compares to RR in terms of flavour (for me at least). We'll have to agree to disagree Leon - and please DO NOT take it personally. :lol:
Ohh I don't take it personally at all.

I genuinely did not know that Red Raced only came in the 355s.
The LCBO loves bringing in beers in the 473 ml format so that is what I was hoping for. Plus, how many single serving 355 ml cans do you see at the LCBO? Probably none or very few. So again, I was being hopeful that it was coming in a larger format.

I'm ok with it and I will buy it for sure. For every 5 or 6 Crazy Canucks I buy, I may pick up a Red Racer. Just a personal preference. And I like Avocados as well.

Let's go for an Urban WHeat befoere its all gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

OK, looking at the list now. Says for summer 2011 there's (the already available) DDC Rosee d'Hibiscus, Charlevoix DV Blanche and the pending Red Racer ($2.95).

"Coming Fall 2011": DDC Peche Mortel, DDC Corne du Diable, Les Trois Mosquetaires G.C. Porter Baltique, Charlevoix DV Triple.

Tomas mentioned the DV Lupulus. I thought he said next spring, but seeing as I've misremembered that there were no winter items on the list perhaps we'll see it sooner.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Gedge wrote:OK, looking at the list now. Says for summer 2011 there's (the already available) DDC Rosee d'Hibiscus, Charlevoix DV Blanche and the pending Red Racer ($2.95).

"Coming Fall 2011": DDC Peche Mortel, DDC Corne du Diable, Les Trois Mosquetaires G.C. Porter Baltique, Charlevoix DV Triple.

Tomas mentioned the DV Lupulus. I thought he said next spring, but seeing as I've misremembered that there were no winter items on the list perhaps we'll see it sooner.
looking forward to more beers from Quebec!! :D

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

keep6imports just tweeted that Red Racer will be in the LC as of next week!