Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Central City Red Racer

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Torontoblue wrote:
It's not really in the interest of the LCBO & especially the agent to get a listing straight away...there are performance ratios to adhere to and if you fail the product gets de-listed, and the agent loses out financially and good luck getting that listing status back.
Once again an example of a broken retail model.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
It's not really in the interest of the LCBO & especially the agent to get a listing straight away...there are performance ratios to adhere to and if you fail the product gets de-listed, and the agent loses out financially and good luck getting that listing status back.
Why?

You appear to know so much but actually contribute so little..................except bitterness and no understanding..............!!

In Alberta we have a very free retail model..............but still products come and go..........some never to be seen again.............and for no apparent reason.....they just...vanish. We have stores that bring beers in, but unless you pay a fee and become a member of their beer club, you don't get to see these beers (they may come in a 6 or 12 months later). What is so different? You're either at the hands of the agent or the hands of the Liquor Control.

I guess I see both sides of the fence as I work for an agency and deal with the AGLC, BCLDB, SLGA, MLCC & used to deal with the LCBO.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Torontoblue wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
Why?

You appear to know so much but actually contribute so little..................except bitterness and no understanding..............!!
There is no argument in the world that should be able to make any sensible person understand that a government retail monopoly isn't broken. It is a disservice at best to the customers and entrepreneurs of this province, and a crime at worst.

Competition breeds better service, better products and better overall customer experience. The LCBO's retail arm is a lumbering relic that has no purpose in 2011 and does nothing to justify its existence. The only two sides to this fence are "right" and "wrong"; and supporting the existence of the LCBO's retail arm is wrong.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Torontoblue wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote: Once again an example of a broken retail model.
Why?

There is no argument in the world that should be able to make any sensible person understand that a government retail monopoly isn't broken. It is a disservice at best to the customers and entrepreneurs of this province, and a crime at worst.

Competition breeds better service, better products and better overall customer experience.
And on the other hand, you have big private corporations running the other side of the alcohol service in Ontario...so, what is the answer? There is always going to be something (AGLC & Connect in Alberta) governing competition, products, cost etc etc, and then you're still dependent on the agent factor who brings product in. This is then governed by their cost factor etc etc.

As mentioned previously, Alberta has a very free, open alcohol system yet the vast majority of stores still stock the big boys stuff. In Edmonton, granted not the beer mecca of the World, we have roughly 6 stores out of a few hundred who cater to good beer, and even then the selection, pricing & quality vary a great deal. You slam the LCBO, but what they do give is good pricing and more often than not, good fresh product.

You may think the grass is greener..it's not, it's just a different shade.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Sanchex wrote:the reports of red racer being virtually sold out are greatly exaggerated. i was just at queens quay lcbo and they have atleast 50 cases stacked up right by the door and another 9 in the cooler. get it while you can.
Good eye!

2529 cans to be exact!

Time for some store transfers to be done, 9:30 am approaches:

"Gentlemen, start your engines"

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

What the hell is Keep6 playing at with 99% of the product being placed downtown?
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Torontoblue wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
Why?

:D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

icemachine wrote:What the hell is Keep6 playing at with 99% of the product being placed downtown?
It is possibly being shipped out to other stores over the coming days. That seemed to happen with the LCBO inventory on the first batch of Red Racer too.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

So it's in Sault Ste. Marie now. Also been in Thunder Bay for a while. But not anywhere south of Toronto.

Makes sense to me.......

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

icemachine wrote:What the hell is Keep6 playing at with 99% of the product being placed downtown?
I'm pretty sure they don't decide where the LCBO sells it. If I was an evil minded businessman(oh wait, I am), and I'm sure Thomas isn't, I would keep it all in the boonies so people downtown would have to come to the bar to get it.

Streets

Post by Streets »

Ukie wrote: Good eye!

2529 cans to be exact!

Let me know if you can find a store to do it for you Ukie. After waiting a month and a half for my local store to transfer some product in I was told that "We don't do store transfers, even on full cases, since we wouldn't make any money on it due to shipping costs."

I know Len said this is BS, but I really find it hard to call the manager on a 50 year old cashier who is telling me outright that this is the way it is...

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Streets wrote:
Ukie wrote: Good eye!

2529 cans to be exact!

Let me know if you can find a store to do it for you Ukie. After waiting a month and a half for my local store to transfer some product in I was told that "We don't do store transfers, even on full cases, since we wouldn't make any money on it due to shipping costs."

I know Len said this is BS, but I really find it hard to call the manager on a 50 year old cashier who is telling me outright that this is the way it is...
It's BS. You ask to speak to the manager or call the info line.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

FYI to anyone else in Ottawa who hasn't found Red Racer yet. There were 6 cans remaining at the Innes & Tenth Line LCBO after I purchased mine around 1pm today.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:
Ale's What Cures Ya wrote:If we had a proper retail model this shit wouldn't happen.
... I think it's more the reality of scarcity economics at play here.
Always true. Doesn't matter if it's a wax-dipped Bourbon Imperial Stout or a straightforward IPA, in Ontario this new beer still has the 'Halo Effect.'

I think Racer's quite good, but is it really top-shelf as something like Tröeggs Nugget Nectar? Hmm... I'd happily settle for Mad Tom which in fact is on my list today.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

JesseM wrote:So it's in Sault Ste. Marie now. Also been in Thunder Bay for a while. But not anywhere south of Toronto.

Makes sense to me.......
Blame my brother for the Soo getting a bunch - he ordered a couple cases worth. Gives me something to drink when I head up north