Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Central City Red Racer

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Can you tell me if 534 Bayfield Street (Bayfield & Hanmer) in Barrie was on the list? I'm thinking of phoning in to complain if it was, because I'm pretty damned sure it never made it up here.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

I remember seeing some Red Racer in stock at a Barrie location when I looked it up yesterday before my girlfriend had another site visit up there. They were only at 23 in stock and I can't imagine it would have lasted long. Don't recall which LCBO it was.

Still hoping to hear back about the case I requested. I really don't want to have to drive up to Queen's Quay, but I really don't want to miss out on this beer as I have yet to try it.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

mintjellie wrote:Can you tell me if 534 Bayfield Street (Bayfield & Hanmer) in Barrie was on the list? I'm thinking of phoning in to complain if it was, because I'm pretty damned sure it never made it up here.
They had nearly a full case at the Caplan location last night.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

RayOhm

Post by RayOhm »

Ukie wrote:It would appear there are some new locations that have red racer in stock, unless these are special orders or in store transfers:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=256594

If you are road tripping dont forget to phone ahead and ask, shelf or held.
Thanks for that, I've giving up looking. Hopefully it doesnt sell out in Guelph before I can make it there on Friday.
I don’t care what the U.N. says, I don’t recognize countries that don’t produce beer.

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I work very close to the Summerhill LCBO, so I could pick a few cans up and hold them for people to pick up from me somewhere in Toronto. Last time I checked there were still a bunch of cans there.

Paul at the Buddha

Post by Paul at the Buddha »

[quote] privately owned stores where the owner of the store is the last decision maker on what he stocks is what the "privatization lobby" supports. [quote]

Dare to dream. Stores where the manager could have last word on the stock would be amazing.

I just want 10 cases of Red Racer to get transferred to the Durham Warehouse so they can move up to Store #50 and I can buy them, sell them and drink them.

The LCBO isn't broken, it just doesn't have enough Beer lobby to steer it in the right direction.
Paul is the purchaser for the Laughing Buddha and Townehouse Tavern in Sudbury. A great combination of live independent music, good food and interesting beers. 2 bars, 440 seats, 15 taps, 120 bottles, 40 Whiskies and the best patio around.

EricM

Post by EricM »

A couple of cases at the local LC? I'll have to give it a go!

bujubanton

Post by bujubanton »

I bought a bunch at queens quay store...told the clerk how good it was and why I was buying a bunch...he gave me a glazed eye look. he could not be more bored.
maybe I should have told him I was buying kegs of Corona....

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

there's tons of it at cooper st/queens quay. missed it the last time around, so i grabbed a bunch... should last a couple weeks anyway...

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

PeenSteen wrote: So I wrote the category manager last week asking why they even bother sending out these lists if they send it all to Cooper St. ... So I have yet to receive a response but when I do I will post that info here. Its extremely frustrating because the LCBO clearly only values a handful of stores and doesn't give a shit about the rest of them.
I would be very interested in that. I can understand they're a very conservative company* and send to places with a track record of selling specialty beers, eg) Masonville in London is high-traffic and affulent, and you wouldn't send Olah Dub to a ghetto store. However, this whole Red Racer situation makes no sense.

*It can certainly be argued they should be less conservative, I'm talking about how things are not how they should be.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Got my case. Absolutely great stuff.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ErkLR wrote:However, this whole Red Racer situation makes no sense.
I do think Red Racer would sell well in many locations, and the coolness of a great canned IPA works on many levels including the LC's green agenda... maybe the 'BO just testing the waters this time and wants to eventually sell it province wide. Worked for French Rabbit in those Tetra packs, and people didn't even drink that.
In Beerum Veritas

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

I think the way it was snapped up at pretty much every location means you're absolutely correct that it would sell well. I really don't get why that one store still has >1000 units, that will take weeks to sell, when they could ship it out to other locations and have it nearly all sold by now.

SMC

Post by SMC »

Well it finally made it to the small village of Mississauga. Miraculously the 24 listed on Saturday at Dundas & Mavis survived the weekend, perhaps they had just been put on the shelf. I picked up 8 this afternoon.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

SMC wrote:Well it finally made it to the small village of Mississauga. Miraculously the 24 listed on Saturday at Dundas & Mavis survived the weekend, perhaps they had just been put on the shelf. I picked up 8 this afternoon.
Its about time! I might stop by to see if there are any left tomorrow...