Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Central City Red Racer

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's $13.50 a 6-pack here:
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/456517

So an extra $3.50 to ship it across Canada and put it through the LCBO system isn't that bad.

Then again, Hophead is $12.10 here:
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/692103

And only $13.50 at the LCBO:
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=256586

As an aside, I've definitely been buying more beer now that I'm in BC. It seems to be better value... but I should really homebrew more!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

phat matt wrote:I remember getting reamed out for saying getting gas (in Buffalo) saved money. I agree though. Going to the states is the best thing a beer geek can do.
Well only if you like beer without borders and without some phony regulator standing in your way saying 'no you can't have that.'

But I like Elmwood in general. The entire trip uses about a half tank of gas, and if I buy a full tank at 25% less than usual I believe that doubles the savings (effectively half the trip is free.)

It all depends if it's worth your time.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Belgian wrote:
phat matt wrote: The entire trip uses about a half tank of gas, and if I buy a full tank at 25% less than usual I believe that doubles the savings (effectively half the trip is free.)

It all depends if it's worth your time.
That's always how I look at it. Not to mention the other benefits such as grocery items I can buy that are duty-free and cost half of what they would in Canada.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Very true. It irks me that buying one or two things make for a net savings after fuel costs. Buffalo's SO much cheaper than here.

The reason could be a combo of real differences in costs getting products to Ontario (whether we're talking Red Racer or your groceries) and I also think there's a general lack of respect for the Ontario consumer's sense of value. Rip-off prices are somehow more 'OK' here, all across the board.

Might be hard (laughable?) to sell Red Racer for $18 a six pack in Buffalo. Still, it drink good & I save time buying it.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

got to take into account the depreciation on the vehicle too.. and I have to pay a bridge toll every time I go into the states and back. It adds up.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

spinrsx wrote:got to take into account the depreciation on the vehicle too..
Sure vehicle costs in total might be about double what the gas cost alone is. Over greater distance there's mileage depreciation (only matters for resale or lease returns) plus in theory higher upkeep costs for wear and tear (though in practice highway driving is much lower wear than city mileage.)

There's also fixed costs of owning a car whether you drive it or not (licensing, insurance, routine maintenance). Might as well go have some fun.
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Seems like the Hamilton stores received a re-stock of the Red Racer, I noticed a different date on the bottom. The previous batch had a BB of 05/01/2012 whereas this new lot has a bottling date of H2411, August 24, 2011.

Not that mine will last till May.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

is the LC making an attempt to keep this stuff on the shelf??

it's seems there's quite a bit available again...

Streets

Post by Streets »

Ukie wrote:The previous batch had a BB of 05/01/2012 whereas this new lot has a bottling date of H2411, August 24, 2011.

This is a Canadian brewery, so is it possible that actually means 5th January 2012? I just grabbed a 'few' more at Centre Mall on Monday so I'll have to take a look to see if mine have different dates.

Also, does anyone know how long the Best Before window is for Red Racer? If it's ~5months then that would put this batch's BB at around January as well.

Not that they'll last till January :).

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Streets wrote:
Ukie wrote:The previous batch had a BB of 05/01/2012 whereas this new lot has a bottling date of H2411, August 24, 2011.

This is a Canadian brewery, so is it possible that actually means 5th January 2012? I just grabbed a 'few' more at Centre Mall on Monday so I'll have to take a look to see if mine have different dates.

Also, does anyone know how long the Best Before window is for Red Racer? If it's ~5months then that would put this batch's BB at around January as well.

Not that they'll last till January :).

Actually being a Canadian brewery I thought the format was month/day/year meaning the last batch was May 1 2012? Yes, no , maybe so?

Anyways they switched from a BB to a code, expecting an email.

Streets, 48 came in at Eastgate.