Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn 2011 Specialty Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

IPASlav wrote:I like it! I've never tried Celebrator so I'm looking forward to it...Will bebuying lots of the bacchus...

Folks - we just got two sours in back to back releases! First a Gueze, now a flanders brown!!!

If I'm not mistaken, Garrison is releasing an Oktoberfest, and Beau's is releasing their Night Marzen...
3 realeases in a row, you forgot panil

aser

Post by aser »

yes lcbo sucks blah blah blah.....

I think people will gladly swallow their pride once they taste the celebrator for the first time. We def lucked out on this one, this is top notch shit.

thank you lcbo.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I'd say that's a pretty solid release overall. A few I don't personally care for, but a couple new things, and a good number of solid brews!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JerCraigs wrote:I'd say that's a pretty solid release overall. A few I don't personally care for, but a couple new things, and a good number of solid brews!
+1, + HST
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

JeffPorter wrote: (btw - was finally able to shed that stupid "IPASlav name" - thanks to a admin...)

Makes me sound like a slavic IPA!
Slavic IPA: tastes like wool, dirt and hardship and you still have to stand in line for hours to get one.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

After tonight I'll stop being a dick...I promise!

oh, btw, at volo tonight I got some clarification on that Corne du Diable pack...it looks like its only going to be 4 pks...which seems to make more sense if the price is just over $11

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

boney wrote:
Slavic IPA: tastes like wool, dirt and hardship and you still have to stand in line for hours to get one.
Fuller's Peirogi IPA. Also, Amenesty International has to monitor the fairness of your purchase...

(btw...have tasted wool many times...knitting...)

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I have split several posts in this thread had veered into general complaints about the LCBO into a separate thread, which I have subsequently frozen.

If you want to debate/complaint/bitch/whatever about the LCBO, there is a thread dedicated to that topic, which I've just made sticky so it's more obvious:

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=6771

Please keep this thread ON TOPIC, discussing the beers in the release and their availability (or lack thereof), WITHOUT going into more general LCBO bashing. Posts of that nature will be deleted.

Sorry to be a hardass, just trying to keep the informational threads like this one free of noise.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

The Celebrator and 1845 are world-class. They really show that a HUGE brewer can still make a product that's second to none.

The 3M Porter is phenomenal. I'm a bit surprised that the price point isn't a bit better with the LCBO's buying power, but it's certainly worth it.

Hopefully they're all late and I can pick some up around Christmas holidays. :D

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Am I wrong or was the 1845 release a few years ago?

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

JeffPorter wrote:Am I wrong or was the 1845 release a few years ago?
It was included with the autumn ales releases in: 2004, 2007 & 2008.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Will pick up in abundance:

Ayinger Celebrator
Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique
Charlevoix Dominus Vobiscum Triple

Will reexamine:

Garrison Imperial I.P.A.
Southern Tier Choklat

And look forward to trying:

Cannery Maple Stout
Bacchus Flemish Old Brown
Renaissance Stonecutter Scotch Ale
Fuller's 1845 Bottle Conditioned Ale
Box Steam Funnel Blower
Affligem Dubbel

Overall not a bad list at all.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Haha wouldn't it be funny if Social Responsibility removed the plastic goat because it would appeal to children or would pose a choking hazard.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Cale wrote:Haha wouldn't it be funny if Social Responsibility removed the plastic goat because it would appeal to children or would pose a choking hazard.

The Goat will be fine...we have plastic bulls on our Sangre de Toro.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I really look forward to these Autumn releases beers every Christmas.

Celebrator's return is surprising, as the top-rated Doppel in ze Welt. It was around here simultaneous with Weltenburger long ago, maybe just over two bucks and the 500ml Welty was slightly more . Note that Hirsch Doppel is gone (for now, but we can still hope for their mediocre lagers in mix-packs around Xmas.)

Also encouraging to see more Quebec brewers infiltrating our Ontario system, to gradually shift many drinkers (brewers?) from their parochial tastes toward a broader spectrum of beer styles. Shibby shibui!!!!!
In Beerum Veritas