Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn 2011 Specialty Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Kel Varnsen wrote:I follow Phillips on Facebook, and it sounds like they keep themselves pretty busy supplying beer to BC. I grew up in Victoria and last time I was home I stopped in at the Phillips brewery and the place is pretty small.
When was the last time you were out? They openned a new brewery on Government street in 2008. It looks larger than many of the Ontario Craft Brewers... though they are supplying most of the province through BCLiquor (and private stores).

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Derek wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:I follow Phillips on Facebook, and it sounds like they keep themselves pretty busy supplying beer to BC. I grew up in Victoria and last time I was home I stopped in at the Phillips brewery and the place is pretty small.
When was the last time you were out? They openned a new brewery on Government street in 2008. It looks larger than many of the Ontario Craft Brewers... though they are supplying most of the province through BCLiquor (and private stores).
It was this past winter. I was there this past February and went to the Government Street Location. It looked about the same size as your average OCB brewery, although I think VI down the street looked bigger. Either way it didn't look like they would be big enough to supply BC as well as Ontario.

Rosko

Post by Rosko »

Dare I say it - this is a tremendous list. 1845 is just about my all-time favorite (a list that includes no more than 20!)

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

mmmmmmm saving up to buy a case of Ayinger 8)
Aventinus rules!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

The series of posts about Belmont Stn and Portland OR have been split into their own thread in the Local Beer Guides forum.

Please try to keep discussion in this thread on-topic to the release, the beers in it, and the stores that are stocking them once they are available.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

who do you guys think will be the sleeper hit of this release?

SMC

Post by SMC »

matt7215 wrote:who do you guys think will be the sleeper hit of this release?
Probably the Box Steam Funnel Blower. This province is a sucker of British beer, although I find anything that isn't Fullers to be water.
Edit: Should point out that I hope the Funnel Blower is good, the water comment is what I think of the regular lineup.

I also expect the Wychwood Goliath will sell quite a lot. Hobgoblin is one of the few micros I've seen people buying, and they were always buying a lot at once. Plus both are the same price.

The Cannery Maple Stout should also do well considering the price and how few (good) stouts we have, but who knows how much damage the Trafalgar Maple Bock did.

It would be easier to say what will be the sleepers, that is inventory still around in February.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

matt7215 wrote:who do you guys think will be the sleeper hit of this release?
Based on the reaction of most of us at the media tasting last week, it might well be the Renaissance Stonecutter Scotch Ale.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

maybe some of these will come in early.. I see that the Celt is listed on the lcbo webpage now..

CELT BRONZE CRAFTED ALE
LCBO 236091 | 500 mL bottle

Price: $ 3.45

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Garrison has started to show stock. :D

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

My local LCBO had tage for 4 or 5 of these on the shelves last Friday, which is typcially a sign that the items will show up in a week or less.

The ones I recall were: Choklat, Garrison Imperial IPA, Bacchus Flimish & Goliath. There was also a sign for Smashed Pumkin already, which I assume is part of the Halloween release...

SMC

Post by SMC »

Kish84 wrote:WOW!!! No Trafalgar!!
Maybe not. I've just been to the Dundas & Mavis store and they had a pile of this:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... mber=54106

I doubt it's old stock considering the distribution and numbers.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:My local LCBO had tage for 4 or 5 of these on the shelves last Friday, which is typcially a sign that the items will show up in a week or less.

The ones I recall were: Choklat, Garrison Imperial IPA, Bacchus Flimish & Goliath. There was also a sign for Smashed Pumkin already, which I assume is part of the Halloween release...
Unless they were in and gone.

Are you speaking of the Dundas & Mavis Store?

Because on todays site they show inventory on Sunday as Bacchus 7, Goliath 1, Fuller's 1845 3.

Dont you hate when that happens?

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

SMC wrote:
Kish84 wrote:WOW!!! No Trafalgar!!
Maybe not. I've just been to the Dundas & Mavis store and they had a pile of this:

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... mber=54106

I doubt it's old stock considering the distribution and numbers.
I doubt anyone expected Trafalgar to be off the shelves entirely, but what's important is that they didn't take up a slot in the official seasonal release.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Ukie wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:My local LCBO had tage for 4 or 5 of these on the shelves last Friday, which is typcially a sign that the items will show up in a week or less.

Unless they were in and gone.

Are you speaking of the Dundas & Mavis Store?

Because on todays site they show inventory on Sunday as Bacchus 7, Goliath 1, Fuller's 1845 3.

Dont you hate when that happens?
Yep, Dundad & Mavis. I talked to the guy and he told me they were coming in soon (on Friday). Looks like some came and went already...