Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn 2011 Specialty Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Good list!

I'm really glad to see the 1845 back. It was available the first season I got into beer and I loved it.

Greg, thanks for killing the off topic posts.

I'll get the drinkvine release up soon.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

DaPan

Post by DaPan »

Not a superb list really. A bit disappointing that 35% of the list consists of UK brew and only one on the list represents Canada west of Ontario! Haven't we shown enough enthusiasm for the west coast offerings to get more of Cascadia at the LCBO? Phillips, Howe Sound, Tree, hello? Hell, I'd take some U.S.A. west coast treats too, if it meant fresh, hoppy wonderful brews stocking the shelves.

Also hard to believe, not one Ontario Micro on the list. Have had the DVT, it's a really drinkable triple. Load up if you like the style.

Will enjoy the Garrison and Celebrator, though.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

DaPan wrote: A bit disappointing that 35% of the list consists of UK brew and only one on the list represents Canada west of Ontario! Haven't we shown enough enthusiasm for the west coast offerings to get more of Cascadia at the LCBO? Phillips, Howe Sound, Tree, hello?
Have you ever tried contacting those breweries and asking them if they have any plans to expand into Ontario? I follow Phillips on Facebook, and it sounds like they keep themselves pretty busy supplying beer to BC. I grew up in Victoria and last time I was home I stopped in at the Phillips brewery and the place is pretty small. The beer I drank when I lived there was from the Vancouver Island Brewery, and while they make some awesome beer too I know for a fact that they have no in expanding far enough where I will ever see their beers in the LCBO.

DaPan

Post by DaPan »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
DaPan wrote: A bit disappointing that 35% of the list consists of UK brew and only one on the list represents Canada west of Ontario! Haven't we shown enough enthusiasm for the west coast offerings to get more of Cascadia at the LCBO? Phillips, Howe Sound, Tree, hello?
Have you ever tried contacting those breweries and asking them if they have any plans to expand into Ontario? I follow Phillips on Facebook, and it sounds like they keep themselves pretty busy supplying beer to BC. I grew up in Victoria and last time I was home I stopped in at the Phillips brewery and the place is pretty small. The beer I drank when I lived there was from the Vancouver Island Brewery, and while they make some awesome beer too I know for a fact that they have no in expanding far enough where I will ever see their beers in the LCBO.
Point taken on Phillips, but we do know Tree and Mt. Begbie have shown a keen interest in penetrating the LCBO.

probstk

Post by probstk »

GregClow wrote:The following beers are planned to be included in the LCBO's Autumn 2011 Specialty Beer Release, which is scheduled for release on September 12, 2011:

Item # / Product Name / Alc./ Vol. / Size (mL) / Retail
237693 / Cannery Maple Stout / 5.5 / 650 / $5.80
254656 / Ayinger Celebrator / 7.2 / 330 / $3.45
173658 / Garrison Imperial I.P.A. / 7 / 500 / $4.25
234047 / Bacchus Flemish Old Brown / 4.5 / 375 / $4.50
236091 / Celt Bronze Crafted Ale / 4.5 / 500 / $3.65
233486 / Marston's Pedgree V.S.O.P. / 6.7 / 500 / $3.50
233494 / Wychwood Goliath / 4.2 / 500 / $3.50
236992 / Renaissance Stonecutter Scotch Ale / 7 / 500 / $4.60
173534 / Southern Tier Choklat / 11 / 650 / $9.85
504670 / Fuller's 1845 Bottle Conditioned Ale / 6.3 / 500 / $3.50
125153 / Affligem Dubbel / 6.8 / 330 / $2.75
239475 / Charlevoix Dominus Vobiscum Triple / 9 / 500 / $5.95
244376 / Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique 2011 / 10 / 750 / $9.95
237875 / Box Steam Funnel Blower / 4.5 / 500 / $3.55

As always, all information is subject to change.
Some lovely new stuff and some welcome encore presentations!

probstk

Post by probstk »

Ralphus wrote:Good list!

I'm really glad to see the 1845 back. It was available the first season I got into beer and I loved it.

Greg, thanks for killing the off topic posts.

I'll get the drinkvine release up soon.
Thanks, Ralphus. drinkvine is a great tool for tracking beer in Onterrible!

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

You know, it's not a bad release. There are a couple I'm pretty curious about. I think the Box Steam Funnel Blower might be a bit of a dark horse, plus I enjoyed the Celt offering from the summer release. Stonecutter will probably be really good.

The Canadian offerings are all solid and there are four of them. The only one I'm not interested in trying is the Marston's Pedigree V.S.O.P because I don't really like oaked english styles.

I'm also a little surprised Trafalgar was left out of the release for the first time in recent memory. Maybe they'll have something in the Halloween release. Possibly not.
saintjohnswort.ca

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

saints_gambit wrote: I'm also a little surprised Trafalgar was left out of the release for the first time in recent memory. Maybe they'll have something in the Halloween release. Possibly not.
I'm starting to wonder if Trafalgar is having some problems as of late, as it seems downright strange that one of their sours is not a part of this release.

Of course I can be optimistic and hope that maybe they are finally doing something about their infection problems.

probstk

Post by probstk »

Kish84 wrote:WOW!!! No Trafalgar!! When's the last time that happened?
Saints be praised.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote: I'm also a little surprised Trafalgar was left out of the release for the first time in recent memory. Maybe they'll have something in the Halloween release. Possibly not.

Leave it... leave it...
oh hell, maybe this year they will have a Necrotizing Fascilitis Leg Beer or Dead Neighbor Putrefying Flesh Smell Beer, just because the Malted Corpse name went over so well years ago. I mean 'Malted Corpse' is not even a play on words, it's just completely inane.
In Beerum Veritas

probstk

Post by probstk »

Belgian wrote:

Leave it... leave it...
oh hell, maybe this year they will have a Necrotizing Fascilitis Leg Beer or Dead Neighbor Putrefying Flesh Smell Beer, just because the Malted Corpse name went over so well years ago. I mean 'Malted Corpse' is not even a play on words, it's just completely inane.
Leprosy Lager? Dry-Hopped Dried Out Skeleton? Barfy Blech Brew? The possibilities are endless...much like death. :D

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

probstk wrote:Leprosy Lager? Dry-Hopped Dried Out Skeleton? Barfy Blech Brew? The possibilities are endless...much like death. :D
Leprosy Lager is an awesome name for a beer btw.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

sprague11 wrote:
probstk wrote:Leprosy Lager? Dry-Hopped Dried Out Skeleton? Barfy Blech Brew? The possibilities are endless...much like death. :D
Leprosy Lager is an awesome name for a beer btw.
yeah, but it'd cost ya an arm and a leg.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

probstk wrote: Barfy Blech Brew?
I have yet to try the Lactese Falcon. Any fans here?
In Beerum Veritas

probstk

Post by probstk »

Belgian wrote:
probstk wrote: Barfy Blech Brew?
I have yet to try the Lactese Falcon. Any fans here?
I finally worked up the courage and drank a bottle that was several years' old. It was surprisingly good.