Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

complaints about LCBO (split from Autumn '11 release thread)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

sprague11 wrote: But just so I don't sound like I'm giving the LCBO too much credit: WHY OH WHY ISN'T (insert your favourite here) ON THE LIST! LCBO SUX!!!!
If you're happy to settle for table scraps, don't let me rain on your parade. I just find it hard to get excited about releases that a) come in such limited quantities that I either miss them entirely or only manage to snag a few bottles; b) often don't show up in my city and are heavily concentrated in Toronto; and c) are thoroughly boring in comparison to the beers that are available one hour away from me (in Port Huron).
aser wrote: I think people will gladly swallow their pride once they taste the Celebrator for the first time. We definitely lucked out on this one, this is top notch shit.
LOL. This beer was stocked at every single one of the last five U.S. bottle shops that I visited in the previous few months, and each time I passed it up for more interesting stuff (from my perspective, anyway). It's a standard offering in places with private liquor stores, and the civilized alcohol laws that allow for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be grabbing the handful of beers that I mentioned before if the Comrades trickle them down to London, but otherwise I'll continue to rely on local beer bars and U.S. hauls to satisfy my beer needs.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

not to centre anyone out, and I know, I'm new here, but why all the cynicism?

If you live in a part of the province that may not get as many bottles, ask for transfers...if they tell you they can't do it, then call them liars!

What's the problem here people?

The third sour in row. Two Quebec beers that a year ago just came into the province. And the best rated doppelbock. Not to mention some others coming in the next few months (Garrison, DDC).

What. More. Do. You. Want.

At Volo tonight I was talking to a gentleman who has spent the past while forging a relationship with the wine buyer at his local LC. He is able to get any release he wants.

Rather than moaning about " _____ doesn't get here" do something about it. I'm still working on getting smashbomb here in Brampton, but I think I will...

They're not perfect, but can anyone deny that the LCBO has really stepped up their game in the past year?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez wrote:
If you're happy to settle for table scraps, don't let me rain on your parade.
Just curious, what wouldn't constitute "table scraps"? Rochefort 10 on sale for $3.00/bottle with thousands of bottles from here to Thunder Bay?

If you have such contempt for beers like this, perhaps you should think...

Maybe you don't like beer...

Maybe you'd prefer wine or spirits where a season vintages release will set you back $60/bottle.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

JeffPorter wrote:What. More. Do. You. Want.
It's like the LCBO isn't even trying. I mean, would it kill them to at least look into Dark Lord? Sheesh. And what does a guy have to do in this province to get some mini-kegs of Orval? God damnit. And seriously, is Pliny the Elder and or Younger that fucking hard to import in massive quantities? Jesus Christ in a chicken basket.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Jeff,

Welcome to the site. I can tell you that while we do have a few people on the forum here that practice due diligence and have common sense, I will also say that your points will mostly fall on deaf ears.

The Bartowel has been, and will continue to be a place, less and less, where Ontario beer is the main issue, where Ontario beer is praised/critiqued, where we discuss how our scene can be improved by our own beer, but more and more where folks continue to state that we live in a communist province, with essentially nothing good to say.

It's been going on for the better part of ten years.

I'm pretty much done with it at this point. I reached my breaking point a few days ago. I am less and less interested in our "beer scene". Not the Ontario beer scene......no, I love that. I love what folks like Milos and Adil and Ralph and George are doing. THEY LOVE ONTARIO BEER.Beer brewed in this province for people in this province. No,I am talking about "our" beer scene here, where the only good beer is an ultra hopped mega IIPA or Sour Ale with 30% ABV and one off availability.

I'm done with it. I'm done with advocating on here for what most members do not believe.

I love Bartowel....at least I did. I don't really anymore. Sorry Cass, Greg. You guys are awesome. But I just can't participate here like I used to. Too much negativity.

I'll stop by from time to time........but for the most part I am done. Done with the "scene". Done with trying to educate. Done with trying to further things the way I see them, cause the way I see things is the opposite of everyone else here. I'm done with the negativity. I can't fill my life with this hostility. I am happy with what we have here and if I am the bad guy for being that way so be it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sorry, didn't mean to start nonsense...

I tried to delete my rather "dickish" post to cratez, but don't seem to be able to. As I said in my previous post, I didn't want to centre anyone out.

So might I just say publicly, that cratez I apologize and hope that my last post didn't sound like a personal attack. While it was meant in humour I realize that it came across very sarcastic and I should have been more careful with both my words and tone.

I'm shocked by the cynicism of some folks, but that certainly shouldn't take away everyone's entitlement to their own opinions.

I do hope that everyone here gets to try the beers they want, though...they seem pretty awesome...

aser

Post by aser »

cratez wrote:
sprague11 wrote: But just so I don't sound like I'm giving the LCBO too much credit: WHY OH WHY ISN'T (insert your favourite here) ON THE LIST! LCBO SUX!!!!
If you're happy to settle for table scraps, don't let me rain on your parade. I just find it hard to get excited about releases that a) come in such limited quantities that I either miss them entirely or only manage to snag a few bottles; b) often don't show up in my city and are heavily concentrated in Toronto; and c) are thoroughly boring in comparison to the beers that are available one hour away from me (in Port Huron).
aser wrote: I think people will gladly swallow their pride once they taste the Celebrator for the first time. We definitely lucked out on this one, this is top notch shit.
LOL. This beer was stocked at every single one of the last five U.S. bottle shops that I visited in the previous few months, and each time I passed it up for more interesting stuff (from my perspective, anyway). It's a standard offering in places with private liquor stores, and the civilized alcohol laws that allow for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be grabbing the handful of beers that I mentioned before if the Comrades trickle them down to London, but otherwise I'll continue to rely on local beer bars and U.S. hauls to satisfy my beer needs.
you sound like you need to drink more of your "U.S haul" beers.

Folks getting mad asshurt up here over beer. Just enjoy it for what it is, don't get all "comic book store guy mylar pouch" about it.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

JeffPorter wrote:sorry, didn't mean to start nonsense...

I tried to delete my rather "dickish" post to cratez, but don't seem to be able to. As I said in my previous post, I didn't want to centre anyone out.

So might I just say publicly, that cratez I apologize and hope that my last post didn't sound like a personal attack. While it was meant in humour I realize that it came across very sarcastic and I should have been more careful with both my words and tone.

I'm shocked by the cynicism of some folks, but that certainly shouldn't take away everyone's entitlement to their own opinions.

I do hope that everyone here gets to try the beers they want, though...they seem pretty awesome...

Jeff, you don't get it. I'm dead serious. Just hang around here for a while. You'll see.

And don't worry about Cratez. Hes got thick skin and hes a great guy. One who will often make the most sense in this shit storm of nonsense.

We all have different opinions and I respect that, but what I said earlier, was not in jest. I was serious.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!