Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Hallowe'en Beers 2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

Garthicus wrote:
Cale wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: Man, I'm really sorry to hear that...still gonna give it a whirl...I have to re-acquaint myself with Highballer again, but it's interesting that the pumpkin ale with the best body is the lowest abv...

Still, I will, I'm sure buy plenty of the highballer!
I'm assuming he meant the distribution.
Correct ! :D
Disaster... averted!

vincho

Post by vincho »

Highballer is in the LCBO inventory, retailed for 3.60 for a 500ml bottle!

Apparently I got the last bottle of ST Pumking at the Yonge/Bloor LCBO. When asked whether they were getting more, they said it'd be a week at least and that a new pumpkin beer was also coming in (Hint Hint). Next week is gunna be awesome!

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I picked up all 4 pumpkin ales in one fell swoop last night.

With GR Highballer also joining the fray, that's 5 pumpkin beers available at the LC at once...isn't that getting a little carried away?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

SMC

Post by SMC »

cannondale wrote:isn't that getting a little carried away?
Well I'm not going to complain about there being better selection at the LCBO.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

SMC wrote:
cannondale wrote:isn't that getting a little carried away?
Well I'm not going to complain about there being better selection at the LCBO.
You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone on this site who would.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cannondale wrote:isn't that
getting a little carried away?
No.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

ritzkiss wrote:That Ghosttown stout sounds...interesting.

I had this a few weeks ago. A co-worker brought me back a bottle from Montreal. The review is still in the vault to be uploaded but an interesting beer to say the least. Only beer i've ever had that's brewed with absynthe. Wasn't that bad a stout either. Cheers!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
Only beer i've ever had that's brewed with absynthe. Wasn't that bad a stout either. Cheers!
On sweet side was it not?(Tap at BDM brew pub.)

I'll probably buy a few, just for the heck.
In Beerum Veritas

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

TheBeeraholic wrote:

I had this a few weeks ago. A co-worker brought me back a bottle from Montreal. The review is still in the vault to be uploaded but an interesting beer to say the least. Only beer i've ever had that's brewed with absynthe. Wasn't that bad a stout either. Cheers!
Just watched some of your beer reviews, and have to say I'm quite shocked that Rogue Orange Honey and Sublime 67 end up with the same score....I guess taste like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Wray77 wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote:

Just watched some of your beer reviews, and have to say I'm quite shocked that Rogue Orange Honey and Sublime 67 end up with the same score....I guess taste like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I sometimes tend to grade based on style.. I found Rogue's Somer Honey to be very pedestrian to other wheat beers I was drinking over the summer. The Sublime again was rated based upon style. One of the better Molson products to be introduced and as I am no fan of Molson Canadian or Coors yes I was impressed with their 67 as it was no where near as sweet as Miller Chill or the ever so sweet Bud Lite Lime. As a beer in general sure it's a maybe medicore at best.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

TheBeeraholic wrote: I was impressed with their 67 as it was no where near as sweet as Miller Chill or the ever so sweet Bud Lite Lime. As a beer in general sure it's a maybe medicore at best.
If your intent is to rate based on style, then comparing Molson 67 to Miller Chill and Bud Light Lime is not appropriate. Both of those beers have lime added to them and Miller Chill also has salt added. To compare Molson 67 to those two and then give it a higher rating based on lack of sweetness is ridiculous.

Molson 67 is a low calorie beer. If you want to rate is based on style, compare it to Coors Light, Miller Light, Blue Light, etc.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote: I was impressed with their 67 as it was no where near as sweet as Miller Chill or the ever so sweet Bud Lite Lime. As a beer in general sure it's a maybe medicore at best.
If your intent is to rate based on style, then comparing Molson 67 to Miller Chill and Bud Light Lime is not appropriate. Both of those beers have lime added to them and Miller Chill also has salt added. To compare Molson 67 to those two and then give it a higher rating based on lack of sweetness is ridiculous.

Molson 67 is a low calorie beer. If you want to rate is based on style, compare it to Coors Light, Miller Light, Blue Light, etc.
They were talking about the Sublime 67.

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

TheBeeraholic wrote: I found Rogue's Somer Honey to be very pedestrian to other wheat beers I was drinking over the summer.
Unfortunately I buy the majority of my beer at the LCBO, where I believe 95% of their beer selection is more pedestrian than Rogue. So I have to settle.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Cale wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

They were talking about the Sublime 67.
My bad. I would never even buy that beer to try so I have no clue how similar that one is to the others...

heebes

Post by heebes »

vincho wrote:Highballer is in the LCBO inventory, retailed for 3.60 for a 500ml bottle!
hey matt - any chance you could try to get some Highballer into LCBO Store # 168:
RIDDELL & CENTENNIAL,

the pumpkins seem to do well here and the store is also good at carrying Ontario offerings. no worries if not though, i will travel to find some if i have to.