Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Hallowe'en Beers 2011

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Interesting range of opinions on Ghosttown. Emphatic drainpour for me. Medicinal and unpleasant. Ugh!

wilco

Post by wilco »

Most of my Ghosttown also went down the drain. To me the anise and herbs were too forward and needed to be in better balance with the roasted notes. I could see myself enjoying this if the recipe was tweaked

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I was neither here nor there with it. I agree that the anise was a little too forward. Wife loved it though and insisted I buy more.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

This discussion clearly belongs in the "Beer Reviews" thread, but, whatever.

You guys need to give the Ghosttown another chance. You cannot take two sips of a beer such as this and then pour it.

There are no off flavours. It is not a mistake. This is the way it i supposed to taste, and if you give it a chance, you may grow to like it.

I wasn't a fan at first either. I bought three bottles, and after the first, I was disappointed. After the second, I was confused, and after the third, I was intrigued. I bought three more, and now I'm hooked.

If Stone made this one, people would be tripping over themselves to say how unique and wonderful it is.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The_Jester wrote:This discussion clearly belongs in the "Beer Reviews" thread, but, whatever.

You guys need to give the Ghosttown another chance. You cannot take two sips of a beer such as this and then pour it.

There are no off flavours. It is not a mistake. This is the way it i supposed to taste, and if you give it a chance, you may grow to like it.

I wasn't a fan at first either. I bought three bottles, and after the first, I was disappointed. After the second, I was confused, and after the third, I was intrigued. I bought three more, and now I'm hooked.

If Stone made this one, people would be tripping over themselves to say how unique and wonderful it is.

I could get behind these thoughts.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Wray77

Post by Wray77 »

The_Jester wrote:This discussion clearly belongs in the "Beer Reviews" thread, but, whatever.
Thanks forum cop!
The_Jester wrote:You guys need to give the Ghosttown another chance. You cannot take two sips of a beer such as this and then pour it.
Definitely not with the limited selection we have in this province.
The_Jester wrote:If Stone made this one, people would be tripping over themselves to say how unique and wonderful it is.
You have so much faith in your fellow bar towlers. But if Stone did make this beer, they would probably do a better job :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wray77 wrote:
Thanks forum cop!
Your welcome (Good Cop here.) There's nothing wrong with suggesting a discussion is off-thread - GregClow doesn't get paid to manage this junk and remind us every five seconds.

But it is inevitable we discuss the beers released IN the LC Release threads. Certainly how desirable or questionable the selections may be, case in point the BDM sambuca freakshow.
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I never liked the taste of absinthe, but it works pretty well in this beer. Perhaps because the stout base is so excellent. If nothing else, I think I found a way to cut the absinthe I brought back from Prague! This should be one freaky Halloween.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Jester were you just trolling with that post? Surely no one would actually suggest the things you do in their proper frame of mind.

Some of us either don't have the money, or aren't idiotic enough in our purchasing habits to keep buying a fairly expensive beer we apparently might learn to like. Especially when there's Celebrator to be had, or so many other, better beers that we already like. I think Harvey's is soul-crushingly mediocre and over priced, should I keep buying a burger from them everyday so I can learn to love that too? Or any other consumer good? Jeezus H.

If Stone brewed it I'd still hate it. Shitty beer is shitty beer, and I think most on this board can recognize that. The weird thing is, I actually love anise flavour. But it still tastes to me like a really sub-par stout with nauseatingly over-done absinthe flavouring. BDM seem like one of the lousiest things going on in Montreal right now, and I'd really appreciate it if the Lickbow stopped bringing their products in. I'd rather drink Trafalgar than BDM. Sheesh. If the beer is how it is meant to be, than WOW BDM is even worse than I thought.

Rant over, no personal attack. It's just....you're ruining one of my nicknames, The Jester. Come on.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

JesseM wrote:Jester were you just trolling with that post? Surely no one would actually suggest the things you do in their proper frame of mind....
And that, folks, is how you define irony.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

The_Jester wrote:
JesseM wrote:Jester were you just trolling with that post? Surely no one would actually suggest the things you do in their proper frame of mind....
And that, folks, is how you define irony.
You got the joke! Yes! Usually people don't and just get all offended. Kudos.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JesseM wrote: I'd rather drink Trafalgar than BDM. Sheesh. If the beer is how it is meant to be, than WOW BDM is even worse than I thought.
Wow I'm glad it's not my favorite beer. I'd be so hurt. :cry:

And Shintriad, be careful if that Czech Absinthe is made with wormwood root (instead of leaf), most countries can't even sell that kind anymore. Wormwood root has the psychoactive toxin Thujone which I think made people lose their minds back in the good ole days. This does not affect Czech people in any way.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I can see where some people would love it and others absolutely hate it. I wouldn't put BDM in the trafalgar category - the 2 beers of theirs that we got are love em or hate em beers with very little room in-between.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I happen to like the Ghosttown a LOT. Its a tasty beer, in the same powerful sense as this year's McAuslan Impy Stout, which is all about whack-you-in-the-face flavours.

The anise is strong just like hops is strong in west coast IPAs. If you dont like hops, doesnt mean Pliny is shite beer, and if you dont like anise that much, doesnt mean Ghosttown sucks donkey balls.

BDM have few flavourful beers, and Ghosttown is a rocket for me.

You cant argue taste, but you can sure judge it on the internets ;)

This is a classic example of a like-it or hate-it beer. Polar opposite opinions, so lets not even try to get a consensus here.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

iguenard wrote:I happen to like the Ghosttown a LOT. Its a tasty beer, in the same powerful sense as this year's McAuslan Impy Stout, which is all about whack-you-in-the-face flavours.

The anise is strong just like hops is strong in west coast IPAs. If you dont like hops, doesnt mean Pliny is shite beer, and if you dont like anise that much, doesnt mean Ghosttown sucks donkey balls.

BDM have few flavourful beers, and Ghosttown is a rocket for me.

You cant argue taste, but you can sure judge it on the internets ;)

This is a classic example of a like-it or hate-it beer. Polar opposite opinions, so lets not even try to get a consensus here.
I agree completely. While I don't like absinthe or anise flavour, and hence expected the worst going into the beer, I was impressed a) by just how flavourful it was, and b) just how well those flavours were integrated into one another (the anise-y absinthe flavour with the coffee, chocolate, roast of the stout). That's not an easy balance to strike; I think BDM did a great job with it. Even for someone who dislikes the flavours on their own, I certainly appreciated it but, more than that, actually enjoyed it! It was kind of like a (more medicinal) chocolate peppermint patty. Not to mention it was one of the most distinctive beers I've tried in a years. It's not often anymore that I can of beers that they're unique and new to me. And of the few that are, it's less often that I think they really work.