Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Garrison Brewery feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Stroonze

LCBO Garrison Brewery feature

Post by Stroonze »

Just received this from Garrison. Something to look forward to.

We are sending five winter seasonals to Ontario this winter. They are as follows: Spruce Beer, PiLs, Winter Warmer, Black IPA and Grand Baltic Porter. Find out more about them here: http://garrisonbrewing.com/specialty.html If you want to find out which beers are available where, simply visit the LCBO website and do a product search. They are not in the system yet, but will be in a few months’ time.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Cheers,

Meg

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Awesome, I've tried all except the Pils. The spruce beer is quite interesting, and delicious!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Next brewery in feature in February I guess?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

I had the Grand Baltic Porter last week, and this year it's very very sweet and bordering on a barley wine.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

sweet

maple99

Post by maple99 »

I definitely want to try spruce beer, as this was an epic fail in my ill-fated home brewing experiment. Think floor cleaner.
And based on their web site, it is actually a beer with spruce in it, not a Quebec style spruce beer, which is actually pop, basically 7Up mixed with floor cleaner. :wink:

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

maple99 wrote: not a Quebec style spruce beer, which is actually pop, basically 7Up mixed with floor cleaner. :wink:
I remember Expo 67 and drinking that at my cousins in St. Leonard, that stuff was nasty, I cant believe they still make it.

I would say more like 7 Up and Buckleys, which is OK if you are sick.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I remember hearing about this months ago...

I was kind of hoping the baltic porter and the ol fog burner would both be on the list, but it's still pretty exciting. Two great Baltics sitting on our shelves...pretty great!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I like spruce beer. It does taste like conifer trees, and as such it has a terpene quality to it as well (as you would find in terpentine.) How can you hop heads with your pine-tree-resin fetish be such wusses? :) These are all-natural flavors.

I drank a lot of it in Oka, summer of '85.
In Beerum Veritas

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

I make spruce tree tea every spring when the new shoots come out. When the new needles are soft and still delicate the flavour is mild and lemony.

I've never tried spruce beer but I am certainly keen to check it out!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Well done Garrison!
Yards in Philadelphia makes a great Spruce beer.
I am sad there are only 3 more in my cellar.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/450/26892

Lamber

Post by Lamber »

Can't wait for this! The only one of these beers I've tried is the Black IPA. Hopefully they show up in Aurora.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This is definitely happening, glad it's after this all these insane new beers at the LCBO!

Will have more details in a bit. Will be a great release.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

any idea when this might be starting? I'd like to try me some spruce moose beer...

And then get some Baltic Porter...Nom!!! We're getting some awesome beers up in here...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

February