Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beau's Home Delivery shut down by AGCO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Queef

Post by Queef »

JerCraigs wrote:
GregClow wrote: So while there are undoubtedly several shitty aspects to the story - the fact that the AGCO initially approved it and then reneged; the fact that some other shitheel brewery complained; and the fact that a worthy charity is suffering because of it - I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this ends up leading to the alcohol delivery legislation being changed to be more in line with the special events permits.

The big question is how long it takes for that to happen.
Pretty much. It will be interesting to see what if any fireworks result in the process.
Yeah, the charity PR aspect of this is pretty huge. I don't think that is what Beaus was going for, as they have used Operation Come Home in some aspect (bottle returns I think), for years now, but it could certainly help be the main factor in getting this legislation changed.
The "talk" over this from both media, politicians to even hearing immediately from big guys like molsons already, is a pretty HUGE thing, and can only be a good thing long term I think.
If I had to pick someone that was gonna go head to head with the "system" in my lifetime, it would have been Beaus.
it's beer o'clock.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

HogsBack Brewing has released a statement confirming that they were not the brewery who lodged the complaint:

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

GregClow wrote:HogsBack Brewing has released a statement confirming that they were not the brewery who lodged the complaint:
Hilaridad.

We all know it was Leland Palmer anyway.
saintjohnswort.ca

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

If the powers-that-be try to enforce a 3-tier system (TBS listing fee on top of the delivery service), Beau's out to just make the delivery guys nominal employees (part-time, minimal 'salary', no benefits).

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Bytowner wrote:Just sent my own email off to Naqvi, they replied pretty quickly promising a reply. Minority and suddenly they're answering emails. :o
Better than I got. I sent an e-mail this morning and still nothing.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

This has picked up quite a bit of steam in the media across Canada, the National Post seems to have the most heavy handed title

State-licenced oligopoly shuts down beer-delivery service helping the homeless
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Post from Steve on FB:
Just to keep everyone in the loop, this morning I spoke with Grant Crack, our MPP. He's been in touch with Premier McGuinty on our issue and after talking with Mr. Crack, I'm hopeful that we'll get this resolved. Not sure of timelines or process or any other details, other than they are looking into it.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

phirleh wrote:This has picked up quite a bit of steam in the media across Canada, the National Post seems to have the most heavy handed title
That's just shocking!... ahem

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cass wrote:
this morning I spoke with our MPP Mr. Crack
Mr Crack will get to the bottom of this!

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

matt7215 wrote:
Cass wrote:
Cheeky!
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

matt7215 wrote:
Cass wrote:
I just hope he doesn't arse it up.
saintjohnswort.ca

notdan

Post by notdan »

saints_gambit wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Cass wrote:
I'm expecting him to shit the bed.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

notdan wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:
matt7215 wrote: Mr Crack will get to the bottom of this!
I'm expecting him to shit the bed.

My understanding is that he's a pretty stern fellow, who takes his seat in the legislature very seriously.

It might take a while to hear anything from him, though, as he's pretty behind in his work.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Queef

Post by Queef »

velovampire wrote:More from the Citizen: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/McGui ... story.html
If this gets turned around and changed that quick, thats amazing, and opens up a huge segment of variety for Ontario.
it's beer o'clock.