Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beau's Home Delivery shut down by AGCO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

saints_gambit wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Cass wrote:
Mr Crack will get to the bottom of this!
I just hope he doesn't arse it up.
I expect him to do a half-assed job

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sprague11 wrote:
saints_gambit wrote:
matt7215 wrote: Mr Crack will get to the bottom of this!
I just hope he doesn't arse it up.
I expect him to do a half-assed job
Well he was born in the Crack house.

And raised by plumbers.
In Beerum Veritas

zane9

Post by zane9 »

The Ottawa Citizen reports that the prohibition against Beau's home delivery has been lifted.

Steve Beauchesne hopes to resume deliveries by Monday.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

zane9 wrote:The Ottawa Citizen reports that the prohibition against Beau's home delivery has been lifted.

Good news!
so here is my question (admittedly without knowing all the facts), does this mean I can sign up to Beaus Greener Futures project and get bottles delivered to Waterloo? Or does a homeless guy need to deliver it? :wink:
http://www.beaus.ca/beer/greener_futures

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

NRman wrote:
zane9 wrote:The Ottawa Citizen reports that the prohibition against Beau's home delivery has been lifted.

Good news!
so here is my question (admittedly without knowing all the facts), does this mean I can sign up to Beaus Greener Futures project and get bottles delivered to Waterloo? Or does a homeless guy need to deliver it? :wink:
Pretty sure they're only delivering in the Ottawa area for the time being.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

velovampire wrote:
NRman wrote:

Good news!
Pretty sure they're only delivering in the Ottawa area for the time being.
understood, but they deliver to some bars here in Waterloo and I am wondering if there is now a legal reason why this "exemption" cannot be extended to include delivery to Waterloo?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

NRman wrote:
understood, but they deliver to some bars here in Waterloo and I am wondering if there is now a legal reason why this "exemption" cannot be extended to include delivery to Waterloo?
The Delivery license is held by the charity "Operation Come Home" not Beau's
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Cagiva650

Post by Cagiva650 »

So does this mean we won't find out who made the complaint? I would still like to know.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Cagiva650 wrote:

So does this mean we won't find out who made the complaint? I would still like to know.
With the rule being reversed and the law being changed for all brewers I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing other breweries try the same thing. I mean especially with the charity angle Beau's got a ton of coverage over this. They were on the CTV local news at least 4 times since the whole thing blew up. That must have led to a ton of extra orders once the service got back up and running. I could totally see another brewery like one of the ones on the outskirts of Toronto or in the towns ouside of Toronto starting to do this as well. I wonder if any of them have anything like this in the works?

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I really wonderif this Beau's thing will actually be commercially viable. $15 is a huge premium to pay to get beer. The folks that run Beau's are much better at selling beer than I am, so I won't question too loudly, but I remain skeptical that this will stand the test of time.

And even if it works for them, the circumstances for them in Ottawa are very different than anywhere else. They have a combination of a very large market that is incredibly underserved. No disrespect to k or to Broadhead, but they just aren't in the same quality+variety league as Beau's, as far as I can tell. Even the LCBO sends us product last when at all. :(

Would people in Toronto pay a premium to get better access to Flying Monkeys with all the options around the city? I guess there the issue is less about any single brewery, and more about how big a hassle it is to just get to any one of them. For someone on the east side of the city even getting to Amsterdam is probably more challenging than it is for me to get to Beau's from Ottawa.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if the Beau's thing even works long/medium term.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

rejtable wrote:$15 is a huge premium to pay to get beer.
When you consider your time & mileage, it's not really that huge.

It could definitely work around any college or university, where many students often don't have the means to go pickup a large case (could be cheaper than a cab there & back, and a heck of a lot cheaper than drinking at the pub).

They've got a lot of press, but some cheap advertising in school papers & student radio might pay off.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

If I still lived in Ottawa, $15 would totally be worth it. It would allow me to get some Beau's seasonals without the drive to Vankleek hill, or possibly missing out on stock at the LCBO.

.... Now only if they serviced the Timmins area. ;-)
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

rejtable wrote:I really wonderif this Beau's thing will actually be commercially viable. $15 is a huge premium to pay to get beer. The folks that run Beau's are much better at selling beer than I am, so I won't question too loudly, but I remain skeptical that this will stand the test of time.

And even if it works for them, the circumstances for them in Ottawa are very different than anywhere else. They have a combination of a very large market that is incredibly underserved. No disrespect to k or to Broadhead, but they just aren't in the same quality+variety league as Beau's, as far as I can tell. Even the LCBO sends us product last when at all. :(

Would people in Toronto pay a premium to get better access to Flying Monkeys with all the options around the city? I guess there the issue is less about any single brewery, and more about how big a hassle it is to just get to any one of them. For someone on the east side of the city even getting to Amsterdam is probably more challenging than it is for me to get to Beau's from Ottawa.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see if the Beau's thing even works long/medium term.
It is important to remember that of that 15 bucks, something like $8.25 is a charitable donation to Operation Come Home. If another brewery wanted to start something like this as a commercial venture, or just set it at a more competetive price point, a delivery service for around $6.75 isn't that unreasonable.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

Kel Varnsen wrote:It is important to remember that of that 15 bucks, something like $8.25 is a charitable donation to Operation Come Home. If another brewery wanted to start something like this as a commercial venture, or just set it at a more competetive price point, a delivery service for around $6.75 isn't that unreasonable.
All $15 goes to operation come home. As you mentioned, $8.75 is a charitable donation and the other $6.75 is used by OCH to cover operating costs.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

In Toronto I'd use such a service for certain breweries and certain beers of theirs. They would be beers that aren't available at the LCBO or TBS and I'd have to drive out to the brewery at a certain time of year to get them. Two examples: Church Key Cranberry Maple Wheat, Purple Loosestrife Mead and Grand River Bumbleberry. I know two of the three aren't made anymore, just providing examples. In that case paying $15 for delivery of a few cases would be totally worth it for my time, gas and general dislike of driving distances.
lister