Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Liberty Ale

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

Can't wait to get home tonight, have 6 bottles chilling in the fridge.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

it's delicious.

it won't last long in my fridge!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Bringing a 6 pack to my superbowl party sunday night.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

sprague11 wrote:Bringing a 6 pack to my superbowl party sunday night.
hopefully just for yourself.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Just noticed this was back yesterday. Picked up a 6 pack at the Liberty Village LCBO.

This is a delicious ale and is nice change-up from the IPA onslaught I've subjected myself to lately.

That's not to say I won't be picking up mad bottles of Double Hop Head!
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

Anyone know if/when there is more on the way?

TJ

Post by TJ »

Baulz wrote:Anyone know if/when there is more on the way?
Seems to be back:

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/i ... ber=270454

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

This old school SMaSH is nothing but 2-row and cascade (47 IBU?). It would've been a real eye opener in '75, but I'm surprised it still gets so much love?

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/liberty_ale

Simple pleasures?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Derek wrote: This old school SMaSH is nothing but 2-row and cascade (47 IBU?). It would've been a real eye opener in '75, but I'm surprised it still gets so much love?

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beer/liberty_ale

Simple pleasures?
It's a flawlessly brewed, near-perfect example of the style, with impressive depth for such a basic recipe. Looking back on my review, I got perfume, clementine, and minty hops on the nose with white grapefruit, blood orange, tangerine zest, and a leafy-citric bitterness in the flavour. That's a lot more complex than your typical Ontario pale, save for Crazy Canuck. I've got a sixer chilling at home right now and I can't wait to crack into it tonight! :D
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

Picked up 12 today, loving every sip. Liberty is/was one of my regular purchases at the LCBO and I'm so glad to see it back and in six packs to boot!
We can get drunker than this!!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

cratez wrote: It's a flawlessly brewed, near-perfect example of the style, with impressive depth for such a basic recipe.
I'm really glad this bit of history hasn't been ignored, but I'm just surprised it gets so much love (it's not nearly as bold as today's IPAs).

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Derek wrote: I'm just surprised it gets so much love (it's not nearly as bold as today's IPAs).
I guess it depends on whether you perceive it as an APA (like BA & RB) or IPA (like the brewer and BJCP). At 5.9% ABV and 47 IBUs, it's still within the upper limits of APA style guidelines (6.2% ABV / 45 IBUs), but it could also be considered a light IPA (5.5% / 40 IBUs are minimum parameters). I personally think of it as a big American pale with tons of hop character but less bitterness and a more balanced malt profile - doughy, biscuity, cracker-like - than most IPAs. But that's because both styles have evolved and, like you've pointed out, a bold decades-old IPA recipe resembles today's bright and complex APAs.

One thing I've noticed is that Anchor's beers have ridiculously long best before dates, which leads me to believe that they're flash pasteurized.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It definitely bridges the 2 styles today.

I like how well it's attenuated. It has a really nice dry finish, which I believe an IPA should have. A session IPA perhaps?

Anchor does filter & pasteurize their bottled products.

I swung by the brewery last summer and I was actually surprised it wasn't nearly as big as I thought it would be. Same as Rogue. Maybe the fact that the LCBO has carried their stuff has distorted my view. They're certainly large by Canadian standards, but there's much bigger breweries in the US.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Maybe we could eventually see the delicious Anchor Porter at some point.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

sprague11 wrote:Maybe we could eventually see the delicious Anchor Porter at some point.
I had an Anchor Porter 2 days ago in Amsterdam. After I'd ordered it I noticed the pub also served something called Anchor Humming Ale, which I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit I'd never heard of before, despite being a fan of all Anchor beers for some years. I didn't have time to have another (I was just passing through) so I'm kicking myself for not reading the menu more carefully. So we've had Steam and Liberty for ages and Porter is somewhat known so I'm now curious about this Humming Ale and why we haven't (I assume) seen it here before?