Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring 2012 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:Lupulus (and I had no idea) is one of the top Belgian Strongs in the world, and also the #1 highest-rated Charlevoix products. I really only care if it's drinkable and has a nice hop character.

I still have a Hibernus from about 2010, still have to try that one also!
Lupulus is pretty awesome, but the bottle I aged for a year (dumb!) wasn't that great. Get it while it's fresh!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

aser

Post by aser »

lupulus is the truth, best lcbo release ever, I'm serious.

BrausBackinTown

Post by BrausBackinTown »

the panil has arrived! grabbed a few last night.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

BrausBackinTown wrote:the panil has arrived! grabbed a few last night.
THANKS! Going to grab some after work!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

What does the abv on the bottle say?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

BrausBackinTown

i think it said 8%, why?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

BrausBackinTown wrote:i think it said 8%, why?
Just because the LCBO site has it listed as 9.6% - I thought that was odd...But then again, they also had listed a Unearthyl IPA... :roll:

BrausBackinTown

yeah, it was 8, with no of the other ugly corrective stickers they often put on top.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

guys, school me on what a "sour" is please.

sour = gueuze?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

kafercrazy wrote:guys, school me on what a "sour" is please.

sour = gueuze?
nope sour = sour

there are several styles of sour beer, here is a link to the 2008 bjcp sour ale style guidlines:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style17.php

the panil that is in the LCBO would fall into 17B Flanders Red Ale, so no its not a gueuze

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

matt7215 wrote:
there are several styles of sour beer, here is a link to the 2008 bjcp sour ale style guidlines:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style17.php
cool, thanks.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sour = *Nom Nom Nom*!

Man, it's unlikely there'll be any up here...that'd be great to start March Break with!

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Not in the system yet, but I cracked the first box of Panil myself at Manulife. Glad to see this one back.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

matt7215 wrote:the panil that is in the LCBO would fall into 17B Flanders Red Ale, so no its not a gueuze
Gueuze means a blend (of old/newer lambics) and Lambic is from the region (Lembeek) where 'open air' wild fermentation is still used. It's a pretty cool ancient technique to still be in use!

Oh and there's Panil at Spadina-College LCBO.
In Beerum Veritas

Andrenaline

Post by Andrenaline »

Looks like Lupulus is showing up in the system on-line, but there's nothing listed for sites/store inventory. Anybody seen this on the shelves yet?