Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring 2012 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Andrenaline wrote: Anybody seen this on the shelves yet?
it's at 401 & Weston.

Andrenaline

Post by Andrenaline »

kafercrazy wrote:
it's at 401 & Weston.
Good stuff... I've got to touch base with my local LCBO to see if they can score a case. Being from Thunder Bay, many of the seasonal stuff doesn't make it up here.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

kafercrazy wrote:
it's at 401 & Weston.
How convenient right by one of my jobsites. I guess I'll have to bring the guys coffee at lunch :P There will be six less bottles shortly lol. Cheers!

BrausBackinTown

Post by BrausBackinTown »

the skj is also showing up at summerhill (a few bottles anyway.) has anyone seen it or lupulus anywhere that's not yet listed on drinkvine?

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Just picked up three bottles from Weston/401. Didn't think they'd go for a green bottle with the Lupulus... The only other quad or belgian strong I've had from a green bottle is the Achel Extra it wasn't affected by the "Green Bottle Syndrome". Has anyone had this in the past, does it tend to skunk like many other green bottles beers?

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

TheBeeraholic wrote:Just picked up three bottles from Weston/401. Didn't think they'd go for a green bottle with the Lupulus... The only other quad or belgian strong I've had from a green bottle is the Achel Extra it wasn't affected by the "Green Bottle Syndrome". Has anyone had this in the past, does it tend to skunk like many other green bottles beers?
It will skunk if it is exposed to UV rays. I keep mine in a wine cellar with a UV-protected door, and never got a skunked Lupulus.

I DID get a skunked Lupulus from someone else though, who had left a carton opened, and was exposed to sunlight for a day. One day is all it takes, probably even less. Basically, if you want to drink it fresh, keep it in a fridge or a cellar, and if you want to age it, put it either in a Champagne/Whiskey tube, or cellar it behind UV protection.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

iguenard wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote:Just picked up three bottles from Weston/401. Didn't think they'd go for a green bottle with the Lupulus... The only other quad or belgian strong I've had from a green bottle is the Achel Extra it wasn't affected by the "Green Bottle Syndrome". Has anyone had this in the past, does it tend to skunk like many other green bottles beers?
It will skunk if it is exposed to UV rays. I keep mine in a wine cellar with a UV-protected door, and never got a skunked Lupulus.

I DID get a skunked Lupulus from someone else though, who had left a carton opened, and was exposed to sunlight for a day. One day is all it takes, probably even less. Basically, if you want to drink it fresh, keep it in a fridge or a cellar, and if you want to age it, put it either in a Champagne/Whiskey tube, or cellar it behind UV protection.
Plan to drink one fresh and sit on half a case. Will be put in a closed box and into the cold cellar with the others. Thanks.

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

TheBeeraholic wrote:Plan to drink one fresh and sit on half a case. Will be put in a closed box and into the cold cellar with the others. Thanks.
BA does not recommend aging. fwiw

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

kafercrazy wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote:Plan to drink one fresh and sit on half a case. Will be put in a closed box and into the cold cellar with the others. Thanks.
do not age Lupulus. drink what you by within 6 months

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

matt7215 wrote:
kafercrazy wrote:
do not age Lupulus. drink what you by within 6 months
Was under the impression this was a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, not an IPA. Should have looked that up before buying six. My stupidity. I'd never heard of this one before this thread started. Oh well, looks like I've got some good drinking ahead of me lol.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Thing is most of Lupulus's greatness comes from the hop, which gradually leaves after 6 months or so..

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I had a year old lupulus a while ago, and can't say I liked it that much...drink up now...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

aser

Post by aser »

I bought 4 at Chinatown LCBO, there were 2 left on the shelf.

I"ve kept lupulus before in the fridge for 6 months, still pretty damn good. Not much degradation as long as you keep it in the fridge.

As to storing it in a shelf, no.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

iguenard wrote:Thing is most of Lupulus's greatness comes from the hop, which gradually leaves after 6 months or so..
Agreed. And gotta keep them hops cold!! I for some reason was under the impression this was a quad. Not sure why.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

aser wrote:I bought 4 at Chinatown LCBO, there were 2 left on the shelf.

I"ve kept lupulus before in the fridge for 6 months, still pretty damn good. Not much degradation as long as you keep it in the fridge.

As to storing it in a shelf, no.
I wonder if you were that dude buying those in Chi-town right after I took 2!

And thx for the storage note, into the fridge they go. I want a hop beast not another dull BSA.
In Beerum Veritas