Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Anniversary beers?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Great Lakes Anniversary beers?

Post by JeffPorter »

Is this still happening at the LCBO?

Are they still starting with the porter? Any idea when it'll hit the shelves...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

From their latest newsletter (sent Mar. 4):

"We continue to brew unique limited release batches as part of our TANK 10 Series. Our first release was Pompous Ass English Pale Ale. If you missed it, there's still time to pass by the brewery retail store and pick some up. Next up is a Robust Porter which will also be the first release for our Anniversary series soon to hit LCBO shelves. If you enjoyed our last Porter from a few weeks back you'll be sure to enjoy our amped up version that is currently aging in Tank 10."

BrausBackinTown

Post by BrausBackinTown »

anybody heard any updates on when the robust porter is arriving at the lcbo?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Robust porter is bottled. They are waiting for labels to arrive. Probably a couple of weeks away.

BrausBackinTown

thanks!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Also, I heard that this is likely the only one of the anniversary beers that will make it to the LCBO. The rest of them will be retail store only. Apparently Harry Porter is one of them.

BrausBackinTown

TheSevenDuffs wrote:Also, I heard that this is likely the only one of the anniversary beers that will make it to the LCBO. The rest of them will be retail store only. Apparently Harry Porter is one of them.
really? was there a problem?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

BrausBackinTown wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:Also, I heard that this is likely the only one of the anniversary beers that will make it to the LCBO. The rest of them will be retail store only. Apparently Harry Porter is one of them.
really? was there a problem?
Don't know the specifics. Was told that by a GL employee so the info could be incorrect.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Their blog update says hopefully next week (which is what they said last week) for the Porter in the store, and shortly after that in the LCBO.

I can see why they'd only go with the one beer at this point - it's been five months to get that first beer out, and it hasn't even landed yet. I imagine they'll want to see that beer for a few months at least.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Went down today - still waiting for the labels. The bottles are also to be wax dipped and, if I'm not mistaken, they're 750ml bottles.

Also, they said the price would be 9.95.

On the plus side, tons of Bourbon Vanilla Harry Porter in the fridge, and it's nice to see that you no longer have to put down a large deposit for those project x bottles.

BrausBackinTown

hmmm, the OCB website now says the anniversary beers will be for sale "exclusively at the brewery." I could have sworn it said "and lcbo" before. Am I being paranoid here and reading too much into this? hope not...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

BrausBackinTown wrote:hmmm, the OCB website now says the anniversary beers will be for sale "exclusively at the brewery." I could have sworn it said "and lcbo" before. Am I being paranoid here and reading too much into this? hope not...
From what I understand the Porter will still be at the BO.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Directly from their blog, posted this afternoon:
"It’s finally here!! Great Lakes Brewery 25th Anniversary Robust Porter is now in the brewery retail store! The Robust Porter will be hitting the LCBO shelves this week so make sure you grab some for the weekend!"
They also posted on their FB that they've got lots of Vanilla Bean Porter in the retail store fridges as well. And the Robust Porter is on Drinkvine already.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Its listed on lc website aswell. $9.95 750ml

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Saw it at Summerhill on Tuesday. In my opinion this beer calls for some bottle aging to bring the sweetness into balance, but it's nice.
In Beerum Veritas