Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

OCB Discovery Pack #11

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

probstk

Post by probstk »

icemachine wrote:
PeenSteen wrote: I have heard OCB radio ads on The Edge in the morning

On a side note, this discovery pack is garbage
These discovery packs are aimed at getting people interested in craft beer, not at the consumers who are already afficionados
I would agree. As a beer geek, I would prefer the packs contained beers that aren't widely distributed, as mentioned by Kel. Oh well.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

probstk wrote:I would agree. As a beer geek, I would prefer the packs contained beers that aren't widely distributed, as mentioned by Kel. Oh well.
Two packs are needed then. Keep the Discovery Pack for the newbies and have an OCB Showcase/Special pack for us.
lister

probstk

Post by probstk »

lister wrote:
probstk wrote:I would agree. As a beer geek, I would prefer the packs contained beers that aren't widely distributed, as mentioned by Kel. Oh well.
Two packs are needed then. Keep the Discovery Pack for the newbies and have an OCB Showcase/Special pack for us.
Good idea!

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

lister wrote:
That is a pretty good idea. Although with complaints about the packs being boring it makes me wonder, what would other Bar Towlers suggest as non-boring options for these packs? Keep in mind the proucts have to be something that would appeal to someone who is "discovering" craft beer, it would also have to be a product that a given brewer can make a lot of. It would also have to be a product where if a customer tries it and likes it they can buy more of; no point in putting a one-off like a Beau's Wild Oats beer in those things, because if someone tries it and likes it they might never be able to buy it again.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Kel Varnsen wrote:what exactly does the OCB do.....

........its really hard to tell isnt it

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Kel Varnsen wrote:That is a pretty good idea. Although with complaints about the packs being boring it makes me wonder, what would other Bar Towlers suggest as non-boring options for these packs? Keep in mind the proucts have to be something that would appeal to someone who is "discovering" craft beer, it would also have to be a product that a given brewer can make a lot of. It would also have to be a product where if a customer tries it and likes it they can buy more of; no point in putting a one-off like a Beau's Wild Oats beer in those things, because if someone tries it and likes it they might never be able to buy it again.
I disagree. The Showcase pack should be used to show off what the brewers can do. I would do a region-themed pack for the other parts of the province that doesn't really get particular beers other than the flagship ones. For example an Eastern Ontario pack (Beau's, Church Key, Kichesippi) with seasonals or one-offs for Southern Ontario. Or maybe a one brewery focused pack for other parts of the province like Grand River.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Though it could be argued that why would the OCB even bother with an advanced pack for us when we're already the converted. The cost may not be justified.
lister

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

icemachine wrote:
PeenSteen wrote: I have heard OCB radio ads on The Edge in the morning

On a side note, this discovery pack is garbage
These discovery packs are aimed at getting people interested in craft beer, not at the consumers who are already afficionados
I totally get that and that is the point of the "Discovery Pack" idea. I just think this one is not one of the better ones. I have bought some past discovery packs because I liked at least 3-4 options included. Aside from the F&M offering here everything included is mediocre to poor IMO.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

So...

...what do you guys think? What would be your ideal discovery pack, based on what's already bottled and something that might appeal to both newbies and the converted?

Hows about this one?

GLB DPA
King Vienna
First Draft Campus Ale
Headstock IPA (soon, I guess)
Wellington Iron Duke
Netherworld
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

phat matt

Post by phat matt »

Didnt mind this pack. The nicklebrook, F&M, and Camerons dark are ones I havent had. the black creek was exceptional. dead elephant and paddys was decent.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Nothing in there for me, but maybe something to convert some of the macro drinkers.