Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2012 summer release speculation

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

And while you're done after two servings of some 10% ABV, 100 IBU full-bodied monster of a DIPA, I'll be drinking my flavourful, fruity, candy-like weissbier with it's velvet soft mouthfeel all night long. :D :wink:

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I think I'd rather taste 2 awesome, interesting, new beers rather than drink 4 different similar-tasting wheat beers.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

I am looking forward to trying some of these, definitely some really good stuff here. I do think that some of these should be available year round rather than make a release of this stuff. So while I don't think this is a "meh" selection of beers I do feel like it is a "meh" release.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

andrewrg wrote:I think I'd rather taste 2 awesome, interesting, new beers rather than drink 4 different similar-tasting wheat beers.
exactly.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

And yet if just 2 each of a style was to be released you'd all be bitchin' and moanin' that there was no choice!

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Some days1 or 2 beers are all I want and a high IBU?ABV monster is nice. But other days when you're sitting around watching a couple ball games call for something a little more sessionable.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

So...now that we're done speculating about summer, how's about the fall...

Whadya think? A return of LTM PB?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JeffPorter wrote:So...now that we're done speculating about summer, how's about the fall...
How's about you start a new thread for that? :wink:

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Communist Liquor stores!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

GregClow wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:So...now that we're done speculating about summer, how's about the fall...
How's about you start a new thread for that? :wink:
:lol:

Think I've done enough speculating for the day... :roll:

Although, I think I understanding now how gas prices jump for no reason...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

OMG, there are no triple barrel aged, wild, dry hopped collaboration ales made with water collected from the original iceberg that sunk the Titanic in this release! :)

Lets just say that it's a better than average release organized by an improving but less than perfect institution and leave it at that.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

andrewrg wrote:I think I'd rather taste 2 awesome, interesting, new beers rather than drink 4 different similar-tasting wheat beers.
Depends on the situation. I like trying new beers and ordering variety at a bar as well, but don't you ever feel like sitting down and sessioning something you know you like?

Besides, why don't you think there can be as big a difference between two weissbiers as what there is between two DIPA's?

Seriously - sit down and compare Paulaner to Schneider, side by side. Two completely different beers.

You can say the same thing about Weihenstephaner and Erdinger. Not very similar at all.

I just don't think it's fair to say a release sucks just because it doesn't suit your personal palate. Some of us might find these beers exciting. If all these beers suck, does that mean anyone who likes them has bad taste or a shitty palate too?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

boney wrote:OMG, there are no triple barrel aged, wild, dry hopped collaboration ales made with water collected from the original iceberg that sunk the Titanic in this release! :)

Lets just say that it's a better than average release organized by an improving but less than perfect institution and leave it at that.

:)

The last part sums it up nicely.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Before the list was posted, I almost said this could be a summer of wheat.

You're lucky to have Dennisons, Magnotta Wunderweisse and Great Lakes Miami Weiss as well. A variety of great locals (and I really do think wheats are best fresh & unpasteurized).

BC brewers are finally getting on the wheat wagon:
http://www.bartowel.com/?p=3153

I'm so glad we're no longer stuck with a few stale imports.

I'll probably still brew my own this year though... I like maltier banana bombs, rather than the thin & spicy ones.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

By this time last year, we knew what was coming. Wonder what the hold up is this year?
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott