Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2012 summer release speculation

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I heard from a brewer that DFH won't sell in Ontario anymore, because they got in some big fight with the LC, so now bars and pubs, can't even get any...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

JeffPorter wrote:I heard from a brewer that DFH won't sell in Ontario anymore, because they got in some big fight with the LC, so now bars and pubs, can't even get any...
Heard the same thing from Peter. Tried getting some 60min a while back, responded to me saying they no longer wish to do bussiness in the Ontario market.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

JeffPorter wrote:I heard from a brewer that DFH won't sell in Ontario anymore, because they got in some big fight with the LC, so now bars and pubs, can't even get any...
I thought I read somewhere that the reason DFH isn't in Ontario is because there is such a massive demand for their products in the US that they can't meet it. So if they can't produce enough to meet their domestic demand, then there is no point exporting to another country.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that the reason DFH isn't in Ontario is because there is such a massive demand for their products in the US that they can't meet it. So if they can't produce enough to meet their domestic demand, then there is no point exporting to another country.
^this is true^

there is no other reason DFH isnt here anymore

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Kel Varnsen wrote:... if a hypothetical California brewery wants to add distribution to Texas all they have to do is find a Texas distributor and sell their beer to them. If they want to sell to the LCBO, they have to worry about things like producing special labels with metric measurements and french on them at the very least.
How many French-speaking people have you actually met in Ontario who can't speak English? Met maybe TWO in my entire life... they were likely visiting.
In Beerum Veritas

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

matt7215 wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:
^this is true^

They pulled out of Ontario the same time they pulled out of half a dozen+ other states. I agree with you.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

liamt07 wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote: I thought I read somewhere that the reason DFH isn't in Ontario is because there is such a massive demand for their products in the US that they can't meet it. So if they can't produce enough to meet their domestic demand, then there is no point exporting to another country.
^this is true^

They pulled out of Ontario the same time they pulled out of half a dozen+ other states. I agree with you.
Yup. It was many US states plus all of Canada. Alberta had a dozen or more DFH products that are now no longer available despite selling like gang busters. Word was that they would try to increase distribution once their massive expansion was complete. I have no idea if it's complete by now or if they're still working on it.

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

I can't find it right now, but they made a post explaining why, they had also said they had every intention of returning once they have sufficient capacity to do so.

Here is a similar blog post but not the one I'm thinking of.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

[quote="matt7215"

also, why would american breweries want to deal with the LCBO's labeling requirements[/quote]

Why do people still peddle this labelling issue and blame the LCBO? Labelling requirements have nothing to do with the LCBO; it is the Government who stipulate the regulations for labelling. It's all to do with the CFIA, can't blame the LCBO or any other Province for this ruling.

9 times out of ten a simple strip label will suffice if all the required information isn't on the bottle.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Absolutely right that the feds are in charge of labelling, it's just that the LCBO enforces the rules and other jurisdictions in Canada don't.

But it's not the labelling that keeps American breweries out - there's a whole slew of issues and headaches that one has to deal with to have beer on the shelves here.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
also, why would american breweries want to deal with the LCBO's labeling requirements
Why do people still peddle this labelling issue and blame the LCBO? Labelling requirements have nothing to do with the LCBO; it is the Government who stipulate the regulations for labelling. It's all to do with the CFIA, can't blame the LCBO or any other Province for this ruling.

9 times out of ten a simple strip label will suffice if all the required information isn't on the bottle.
good to know, so if the LCBO is easy to deal with and the labeling issue is easy to fix what are the reasons you dont see more american craft at the LCBO?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

matt7215 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
also, why would american breweries want to deal with the LCBO's labeling requirements

good to know, so if the LCBO is easy to deal with and the labeling issue is easy to fix what are the reasons you dont see more american craft at the LCBO?
Could just be as simple as not having an agent representing them. Just look at the lack of US breweries that come through the consignment program. I think it really is down to lack of representation. Plus, a lot of breweries are scaling back their distribution. Why would they now export to another country when they are having difficulties supplying their own?

There are a lot of variables at play here, and I assume the biggest one is cost.

And I didn't say the LCBO are easy to deal with. They aren't. They are just as difficult to work with as the BCLDB.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: Why do people still peddle this labelling issue and blame the LCBO? Labelling requirements have nothing to do with the LCBO; it is the Government who stipulate the regulations for labelling. It's all to do with the CFIA, can't blame the LCBO or any other Province for this ruling.

Could just be as simple as not having an agent representing them. Just look at the lack of US breweries that come through the consignment program. I think it really is down to lack of representation. Plus, a lot of breweries are scaling back their distribution. Why would they now export to another country when they are having difficulties supplying their own?

There are a lot of variables at play here, and I assume the biggest one is cost.

And I didn't say the LCBO are easy to deal with. They aren't. They are just as difficult to work with as the BCLDB.
ok, so basically everthing that is posted in this thread already

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

matt7215 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote: good to know, so if the LCBO is easy to deal with and the labeling issue is easy to fix what are the reasons you dont see more american craft at the LCBO?

Yes, but I was just correcting the usual incorrect spiel regards labelling and how this is perceived as an LCBO issue and the reason American breweries don't come to Ontario. Just trying to get a little bit of truth involved, seeing that the mis-truth about DFH pulling out of Ontario reared its head again!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: Could just be as simple as not having an agent representing them. Just look at the lack of US breweries that come through the consignment program. I think it really is down to lack of representation. Plus, a lot of breweries are scaling back their distribution. Why would they now export to another country when they are having difficulties supplying their own?

Yes, but I was just correcting the usual incorrect spiel regards labelling and how this is perceived as an LCBO issue and the reason American breweries don't come to Ontario. Just trying to get a little bit of truth involved, seeing that the mis-truth about DFH pulling out of Ontario reared its head again!
true but that one was quickly corrected, thanks for pointing out that the labeling issue is a problem in all provinces though i actually thought it was only in ontario because of the LCBO