Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2012 summer release speculation

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

studious

Post by studious »

What Jolly Pumpkins are you getting?

I will be in Detroit in a couple weeks :)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

atomeyes wrote: no Saison Dupont. sigh!
I thought that might be there too! :(
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

studious wrote:What Jolly Pumpkins are you getting?

I will be in Detroit in a couple weeks :)
i *think* its a mix of:

Bam Bier
Bier du Mars
Oro de Calabaza
La Roja
and maybe 1 more.

yeah, go JP crazy. if you need a link to the places that have it, PM me.

BrausBackinTown

Post by BrausBackinTown »

I'm happy all those who are happy with this release are happy, but it gets a "meh" from me because there are maybe one or two beers on this list that I'm eager to try-and you can't argue taste. These are seriously the best beers we could get? the BEST? If we lower our expectations, and stop expecting better, we'll never get better. Classic Leafs fan syndrome... [slips out the back door]

elproducto

Post by elproducto »

Dammit, was really hoping for LIndemans again. I bought a bunch of the Gueze, but it's torture not drinking it all.

BrausBackinTown

atomeyes wrote:
BrausBackinTown wrote:
Torontoblue wrote: Schneider Tap X Nelson Sauvin - 97 pts Ratebeer
Brewdog Punk IPA - 90 Pts Ratebeer
Schneider Hopfen Weisse - 98 pts Ratebeer
Phillips Ginger Beer - 49 pts
Weinhenstephaner Kristalweisse - 88 pts Ratebeer
Ayinger Brau Weisse - 97 pts ratebeer
Shipyard Smashed Blueberry - 91 pts ratebeer
Birrificio Del Ducato Nuova Mattina - 96 pts Ratebeer
Thornbridge Kipling South Pacific Pale Ale - 94 pts Ratebeer

Yup, that's a really poor showing of products, isn't it? Jeez :roll:
If the lcbo likes German beer so much, why don't they marry it?
sorry, but that was fucking brilliant.

tut tut!!

LCBO executive meeting:

Executive #1 "We should get some beer from Europe. People like Europe. Good profit margin."
Executive #2: "So, which country in Europe makes the best beer?"
Executive #1: "Not really sure. I am more of a Smirnoff Ice kind of guy. SHould we google it?"
#2: "Let me jog my memory...hrm...I remember seeing European Vacation when I was young. Rusty got to touch boobies. THat movie was cool. and it was in Germany! So let's order in lots of German beer!"
#1: "Perfect! That pretty much covers all important European countries. Germany it is! Let me pass you another Ice so we can celebrate our ability to choose for Ontarians!"
+1

"the people want bananas and cloves. BANANAS AND CLOVES!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Torontoblue wrote:
Schneider Tap X Nelson Sauvin - 97 pts Ratebeer
Brewdog Punk IPA - 90 Pts Ratebeer
Schneider Hopfen Weisse - 98 pts Ratebeer
Phillips Ginger Beer - 49 pts
Weinhenstephaner Kristalweisse - 88 pts Ratebeer
Ayinger Brau Weisse - 97 pts ratebeer
Shipyard Smashed Blueberry - 91 pts ratebeer
Birrificio Del Ducato Nuova Mattina - 96 pts Ratebeer
Thornbridge Kipling South Pacific Pale Ale - 94 pts Ratebeer

Yup, that's a really poor showing of products, isn't it? Jeez :roll:
Well played sir.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

JeffPorter wrote:
Then again, is there a R and R beer in this release? Maybe it's yet to come?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

JeffPorter wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
Brewdog is R+R

BrausBackinTown

weren't there some grumblings about a belgian storm coming? I'm going to hope that happens, and that Saison Dupont is in there. [please]

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

PeenSteen wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: I thought that might be there too! :(
Brewdog is R+R
It's been a while but I don't remember being crazy about that beer...

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

JeffPorter wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: Then again, is there a R and R beer in this release? Maybe it's yet to come?
Brewdog is R+R
It's been a while but I don't remember being crazy about that beer...
Last time it was here, I'm fairly certain it was the best IPA available at the LCBO. This time around, it'll have its fair share of competition with Ontario IPAs, so I predict it will sell much less than last time.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

BrausBackinTown wrote:I'm happy all those who are happy with this release are happy, but it gets a "meh" from me because there are maybe one or two beers on this list that I'm eager to try-and you can't argue taste. These are seriously the best beers we could get? the BEST? If we lower our expectations, and stop expecting better, we'll never get better. Classic Leafs fan syndrome... [slips out the back door]
These are all, except the Phillips Ginger, pretty highly rated on ratebeer - as I said, the Ayinger is a top 10 beer for the style, two of the beers are single hop beers made with a hop variety you don't see beers made with up here - and one of those is a weizenbock! The HopfenWeisse, once again - one of the best beers out there in its style.

I fail to see what is "meh" about these beers. Now, if you don't like the style of beers represented in the release thats fine. But just because you don't like the style, that doesn't mean the beer is bad.

The Ayinger, for me, is a must try. I've already had Erdinger, Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Franziskaner, Weihenstephaner, and Schneider. I love weissbier. After the Ayinger, I need to track down the Andechser and then I'll have had the "classic" representatives of my favourite style of beer. :P This is an important tick! :lol: In all seriousness though, I expect to enjoy it and buy lots of it.

Same goes for the weizenbocks. Just a little less obsessive.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I think I'll enjoy the Brewdog this summer. It's drier than any of the APAs or IPAs we normally have access too, if I remember it rightly it's basically a golden ale that's hopped like an AIPA.

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

mintjellie wrote:
BrausBackinTown wrote:I'm happy all those who are happy with this release are happy, but it gets a "meh" from me because there are maybe one or two beers on this list that I'm eager to try-and you can't argue taste. These are seriously the best beers we could get? the BEST? If we lower our expectations, and stop expecting better, we'll never get better. Classic Leafs fan syndrome... [slips out the back door]
These are all, except the Phillips Ginger, pretty highly rated on ratebeer - as I said, the Ayinger is a top 10 beer for the style, two of the beers are single hop beers made with a hop variety you don't see beers made with up here - and one of those is a weizenbock! The HopfenWeisse, once again - one of the best beers out there in its style.

I fail to see what is "meh" about these beers. Now, if you don't like the style of beers represented in the release thats fine. But just because you don't like the style, that doesn't mean the beer is bad.

The Ayinger, for me, is a must try. I've already had Erdinger, Paulaner, Hacker-Pschorr, Franziskaner, Weihenstephaner, and Schneider. I love weissbier. After the Ayinger, I need to track down the Andechser and then I'll have had the "classic" representatives of my favourite style of beer. :P This is an important tick! :lol: In all seriousness though, I expect to enjoy it and buy lots of it.

Same goes for the weizenbocks. Just a little less obsessive.
Let's be honest. It's because German breweries don't tend to be as edgy or innovative as North American breweries, and we associate them with reliable high-quality traditional stuff. I can't say I know anything about the beers for this release (this is clearly MY shortcoming), but my gut reaction when I see German brewers is, BORING.

These beers may change my mind, but for now this has been my experience. Don't get me wrong; Celebrator is my favourite dopplebock, and Weihenstephaner makes a mean hefe. Maybe I'm just an uncouth New World savage that eschews tradition when I say, "take me to Munster, IN over any German city for beer".