Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2012 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

munrets

Post by munrets »

I haven't heard anyone mention this yet, but this year's Muskoka Summer Weiss is out. I just picked up a couple at TBS, then a few Punk IPAs from the LCBO.

Really looking forward to the Weiss - it was easily my beer of the summer last year.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It should be noted (rumored?) that Denisons Weisse (and I'm not blaming Mukoka for this) has apparently traded the sometimes tart-lemony acidic profile for a more banana-estery taste with more clovey phenolics. It's delightful. You will need at least a small session. Bless you Michael 'The Brewer' Hancock.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:It should be noted (rumored?) that Denisons Weisse (and I'm not blaming Mukoka for this) has apparently traded the sometimes tart-lemony acidic profile for a more banana-estery taste with more clovey phenolics. It's delightful. You will need at least a small session. Bless you Michael 'The Brewer' Hancock.
I was thinking about re-visiting Denisons this week - is the new "profile" in the cans yet?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

hoptech

Post by hoptech »

That Brew Dog Punk IPA should stay on the other side of the pond. It's hops and soapy bath water mixed with a terrible looking can. What were they thinking?!

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Just read on NAC's facebook page that green flash west coast ipa is hitting the lcbo this summer. More US brews to look forward to.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

JeffPorter wrote:I was thinking about re-visiting Denisons this week - is the new "profile" in the cans yet?
We don't get the cans in Kitchener, or any Denisons at all really (at least since the Castle was taken away from us), so my experience with them is limited, but I picked up a few cans from Cool a couple weekends ago and they had the banana and clove profile. I thought it was a lot better than the last time I had it in a can. Mind you the last time I had it on tap wasn't enjoyable either, but paying $6-7 and having it served in a disposable plastic cup will do that.

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

hoptech wrote:That Brew Dog Punk IPA should stay on the other side of the pond. It's hops and soapy bath water mixed with a terrible looking can. What were they thinking?!
Has anyone else tried this? I was looking forward to trying some, and the reviews on RB seem to be mostly positive. Hopefully it's not an infected batch...
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

I had 3 tonight, its not bad at all, just an easy drinking ipa.

MasterChiefP

Post by MasterChiefP »

The Mick wrote:
hoptech wrote:That Brew Dog Punk IPA should stay on the other side of the pond. It's hops and soapy bath water mixed with a terrible looking can. What were they thinking?!
Has anyone else tried this? I was looking forward to trying some, and the reviews on RB seem to be mostly positive. Hopefully it's not an infected batch...
I had some in bottles from a private order last year and loved the stuff. I hadn't tried the cans yet from this release but I will this weekend. I even have one bottle left from last year so i will do a vertical tasting. This is one of my favorite IPAs and glad the LCBO brought it in.

The hardcore IPA they make is even better. If you can find that beer try it!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Stroonze wrote:Just read on NAC's facebook page that green flash west coast ipa is hitting the lcbo this summer. More US brews to look forward to.
Holy crap, really? As a regular release? One time deal? I really want to try this beer!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote:
Stroonze wrote:Just read on NAC's facebook page that green flash west coast ipa is hitting the lcbo this summer. More US brews to look forward to.
Holy crap, really? As a regular release? One time deal? I really want to try this beer!
It doesn't say but since it is not part of the summer release I assume it is a one-off shipment. If it sells well, it might very well be back. It's a very good IPA but I find it is over-hyped. If you like grassy hop flavours, you'll like this one.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

The New Morning saison is very good!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TheSevenDuffs wrote: It's a very good IPA but I find it is over-hyped. If you like grassy hop flavours, you'll like this one.
My impressios exactly.

Similarly the Nelson Sauvin, it's good, but not OMG this is good good. Frugal shoppers might enjoy Hopfen Weisse just as much if not more. Still - iNelson s not much more than a pint goes for these days! I'm sure it's less affordable in Buffalo.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:The New Morning saison is very good!
I need to try another bottle, but my first impression was it just wasn't doing it for me - mind you, I don't remember what "it" was that wasn't doing, so I'll have to give it another go...

Also - at the big Oakville store this weekend, saw that the Thornbridge Kipling was more expensive than the Jaipur (which they still had) - is this presumably because of the hop?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Buy the Kipling while you can, it's really good beer.