Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

One-Off Rogue Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

If you get a bottle I want in on trying it. I don't think I could do a bottle myself.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blankboy wrote:Couldn't care less about the Double Dead Guy...
markaberrant wrote:Double Dead Guy is pretty boring for the abv...
.. what about that special 'rare' taste you get with DDG? That 'I got there first so I hoarded extra 750 ml bottles before it sold in 3 hours to feel special' flavor.

Yes it's over-hyped but I like it. A smooth drinker with fruity tones and mellow tofffee-like flavors.

Based on Matt's quoted review I won't be drinking much of the Maple Bacon disaster beer (if at a tasting I would try a miniscule amount.)
In Beerum Veritas

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Derek wrote:I love Rogue and the way they've pushed the envelope of certain styles...
I am not disagreeing, but I sure never think of them this way.

When I think of Rogue, I think:

-overpriced
-way too many products, many of which are not all that different

Cut back on all the gimmick crap, streamline the lineup, and get rid of the stupid ceramic bottles. But something tells me they won't be doing any of this...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

markaberrant wrote:
Derek wrote:I love Rogue and the way they've pushed the envelope of certain styles...
I am not disagreeing, but I sure never think of them this way.

When I think of Rogue, I think:

-overpriced
-way too many products, many of which are not all that different

Cut back on all the gimmick crap, streamline the lineup, and get rid of the stupid ceramic bottles. But something tells me they won't be doing any of this...
isnt rouge run by guys who used to work in the Nike marketing department?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

The Maple Bacon Doughnut is worth trying once for its bizarre melange of flavours; however, I'm wholly unexcited by this release. Seems like the Board is trying to show that they're responding to consumer demand by bringing in more US beers with "out there" flavours, but they've gone with two mediocre offerings here. And I'm still under the impression that, aside from the regular Dead Guy and Brutal IPA, Rogue sends its least notable brands to Ontario.

That being said, I'm optimistic that the Shipyard release will have some decent style variation and quality. They're not the highest-rated American crafter but so far I've enjoyed everything that I've had from them.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Sil

Post by Sil »

cratez wrote: And I'm still under the impression that, aside from the regular Dead Guy and Brutal IPA, Rogue sends its least notable brands to Ontario.
We got Yellow Snow IPA a few years ago, which is one of Rogue's most popular beers. Also, pretty much my favorite beer on the planet.

The Northwestern Ale from last year was really good. Probably my favorite of the brewery spotlight thingy the LCBO did.

But, yeah, generally we're not getting the best of the Rogue product line.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Sil wrote: We got Yellow Snow IPA a few years ago...The Northwestern Ale from last year was really good...But, yeah, generally we're not getting the best of the Rogue product line.
We get their better stuff from time to time - I'd add Hazelnut Brown Nectar to the list - but I'd like to see a general listing of a style that's under-represented at the 'BO (Mocha Porter, Shakespeare Stout, American Amber) or one-offs/features that are truly special (like the Chatoe Rogue or XS series). Beers like DDG, Somer Orange, Morimoto Soba, and the Maple Bacon don't excite me enough to pay a premium.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

We also had the Chocolate Stout a good 5 years ago. That's by far my favorite beer from Rogue.
We can get drunker than this!!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

irishkyle21 wrote: We also had the Chocolate Stout a good 5 years ago. That's by far my favorite beer from Rogue.
That beer combined with the three year-rounds I mentioned above would've made for a great Brewery Feature, though I'd be just as glad to see it return as a general listing.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I didn't try DDG before, so I'll give that a shot, but I doubt I'll try the maple bacon beer. Well, maybe just one...

I'd much prefer they get the Brutal Bitter/IPA whichever it is now. Also the Half-E-Weizen they had was very tasty. Haven't seen that for ages.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Buttload of DDG and Voodoo Bacon on the shelf at the Bayview store today at lunch.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Andicus wrote:but I doubt I'll try the maple bacon beer. Well, maybe just one...
No I don't think you should do that. Any beer that induces head-mangling hangover pain for no Godly reason can't be worth the trouble. 2¢
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
Andicus wrote:but I doubt I'll try the maple bacon beer. Well, maybe just one...
No I don't think you should do that. Any beer that induces head-mangling hangover pain for no Godly reason can't be worth the trouble. 2¢
Maybe we should have a gathering where six of us buy a bottle. That way we get to try it, and no one is stuck with 725 ml of 10 dollar drain pour.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

DDG and Bacon on side aisle displays at King & Spadina.
lister

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Wh'd it have to be Bacon Doughnut . . . ?

Why couldn't have just been Bacon?

That might be good!
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman