Hops and Robbers

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Hops and Robbers

Postby JeffPorter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 am

"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John
TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Postby TheBeeraholic » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Aweomse, some in Pickering. Planned on dropping by there to get some Tree Black IPA.
JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Postby JeffPorter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:36 pm

TheBeeraholic wrote:Aweomse, some in Pickering. Planned on dropping by there to get some Tree Black IPA.

It's all still in the east end and making its way way west, I guess.

I actually quite liked this on draft - not a hop bomb by any stretch, but a nice, quaffable Britishy IPA.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John
TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Postby TheBeeraholic » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:40 pm

JeffPorter wrote:I actually quite liked this on draft - not a hop bomb by any stretch, but a nice, quaffable Britishy IPA.

Which I think I'm going to be a nice changed from all the hop bombs I'm sure everyones been drinking the last few months.
matt7215
Beer Superstar

Postby matt7215 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:45 pm

the reviews of this one are very mixed bag, but i do look forward to trying it when it gets a little closer to the KW area
Barncat Artisan Ales
aser

Postby aser » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:14 pm

had this on tap when visiting guelph, didn't like it at all, very bland.
cratez
Beer Superstar

Postby cratez » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:11 pm

To me it drinks like a North American-style ESB. Plenty of rounded hop flavour with low bitterness and a refreshing, moreish quality. The draught version at Morrissey House had a nice orangey-apricoty flavour and juicy palate but none of the intensity that I expect from an IPA (less dryness as well). If you view it as a sessionable, moderately hoppy ESB you'll probably enjoy it.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott
JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Postby JeffPorter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:12 pm

cratez wrote:To me it drinks like a North American-style ESB. Plenty of rounded hop flavour with low bitterness and a refreshing, moreish quality. The draught version at Morrissey House had a nice orangey-apricoty flavour and juicy palate but none of the intensity that I expect from an IPA (less dryness as well). If you view it as a sessionable, moderately hoppy ESB you'll probably enjoy it.

You always have the descriptiveness that I'm reaching for - well put!
hopdevil

Hops and Robbers

Postby hopdevil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 pm

Interesting to read the Best Bitter comparisons.

For those of you who have visited Pepperwood's Bistro in Burlington in the past: You should recognize this beer as the Pepperwood's Dry-hopped Best Bitter. ( I had quite a few of them )

Paul Dickey, brewer of Hops and Robbers, was the brewmaster at Pepperwood's a few years back.
hopdevil

Hops and Robbers

Postby hopdevil » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:01 pm

Interesting to read the Best Bitter comparisons.

For those of you who have visited Pepperwood's Bistro in Burlington in the past: You should recognize this beer ( as I recall ) as the Pepperwood's Dry-hopped Best Bitter.

Paul Dickey, brewer of Hops and Robbers, was the brewmaster at Pepperwood's a few years back.
kafercrazy

Postby kafercrazy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:32 am

cratez wrote:To me it drinks like a North American-style ESB. Plenty of rounded hop flavour with low bitterness and a refreshing, moreish quality. The draught version at Morrissey House had a nice orangey-apricoty flavour and juicy palate but none of the intensity that I expect from an IPA (less dryness as well). If you view it as a sessionable, moderately hoppy ESB you'll probably enjoy it.

^^this. 8)

It's a very nice beer, but probably shouldn't be called an IPA.
nickelass
Bar Fly

Postby nickelass » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:23 pm

Picked up a few cans, tastes great to me.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"
Stroonze

Postby Stroonze » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:00 am

Very light tasting ESB, if im looking for a sessionable IPA i will reach for hop head or smashbomb. Very disapointed with this. There is nothing "Extra delicious" about this at all.
kafercrazy

Postby kafercrazy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:17 am

Hops & Robbers is a weekly sponsor for the Peterborough Disc Golf Club!

The response has been pretty good so far. The craft beer drinkers like it 'cause it's sessionable and balanced. And it's a good introduction to craft beer for the PBR/Bud guys.
Gedge
Bar Fly

Postby Gedge » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:13 am

This is a thumbs up for me. Really like this one.

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”