Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westvleteren 12

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Yeah, I think I've seen Westy go for $50 at Volo, which is a lot for a single small bottle of beer.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

andrewrg wrote:Yeah, I think I've seen Westy go for $50 at Volo, which is a lot for a single small bottle of beer.
which is why 80 buck for this is a bit of a deal.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

If anyone's interested in the 8, it's on the menu at Le Select Bistro for $25.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I wonder why the glasses are so small in the set? Do they expect us to sh...sh...share? :P
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Don't really need the glasses since I brought back the gift set with the 12 and 2 glasses, but if anyone wants to split a pack and keep the glasses let me know.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

I have a coworker who recently relocated to Calgary who has placed a deposit on four of these gift packs. Last I spoke to Peter he was offered them but turned down the opportunity. I wonder who's brining them in, or perhaps he changed his mind..

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

TheBeeraholic wrote:Last I spoke to Peter he was offered them but turned down the opportunity. I wonder who's brining them in, or perhaps he changed his mind..
Horizon Beers are bringing it in. They're an import agency based in Alberta that recently branched out into Ontario.

http://horizonbeers.com/

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote:Depends on how greedy the restaurants feel. Face it, you could buy at 75 per six pack and turn it around at 40 a bottle. You could put it down for a year and charge more.
Ha ha. I was kind of thinking some store staff will 'Bogart' the supply holding for friends (or themselves, or restos) as 'sorry that's sold' inventory which still appears online days later while we lesser mortals scrounge around to actually find it chasing these false leads. Witness the Rogue Voodoo grab-a-thon.

That's lazy. Honestly people should pay and take product with them right away if they want to buy it. I would definitely feel the onus is on ME to physically get the product right that day if other people were champing at the bit.

Supply-wise - how much Westy? - well this could be one big easy shipment for St Sixtus, why not send Ontario tons!?!? The LC knows people will pay 120 for Utopias, Westy should be a walk in the park to unload.
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

GregClow wrote:
TheBeeraholic wrote:Last I spoke to Peter he was offered them but turned down the opportunity. I wonder who's brining them in, or perhaps he changed his mind..
Horizon Beers are bringing it in. They're an import agency based in Alberta that recently branched out into Ontario.

http://horizonbeers.com/
Ahhhh, muther ffff.... Got a pre-order on 3. There goes my trade bait. Ah well, I could be stuck with much worse, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

The reason they don't send Ontario tons is because there isn't tons. Essentially, what's happened is that some part of the monastery badly needs repairs, so this is kind of a one shot deal where the monks make more than they usually would in order to drum up funds for repairs.

Which means that by buying and consuming it, you're doing the lord's work.

Like you needed an excuse.
saintjohnswort.ca

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote:The reason they don't send Ontario tons is because there isn't tons. Essentially, what's happened is that some part of the monastery badly needs repairs, so this is kind of a one shot deal where the monks make more than they usually would in order to drum up funds for repairs.
Agreed. I simply mean that Ontario represents a certain convenient economy of scale for even small-scale releases. So, 'relatively a lot' is what I mean by tons.

Not just Utopias, but stuff like Ol Dubh 40, St. Ambroise Stout Russe Imperiale has made it here in strong showing - some very unlikely beers do show up here (I'm not sure the USA has even seen the St Amby RIS yet, or maybe I'm thinking of the Unibroue 17th...) Sometimes the LC gives us a few advantages of accessibility and price.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:If anyone's interested in the 8, it's on the menu at Le Select Bistro for $25.
Thanks man. I enjoyed one of those today.

They have the W12 for 25 bucks as well, and Westy can be requested at cellar temp if you don't like 'em ice cold. That's an awfully good price, and the place looks great.
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
Cass wrote:If anyone's interested in the 8, it's on the menu at Le Select Bistro for $25.
Thanks man. I enjoyed one of those today.

They have the W12 for 25 bucks as well, and Westy can be requested at cellar temp if you don't like 'em ice cold. That's an awfully good price, and the place looks great.
That's about half of what volo sells it for!!!! :o

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes Jeff, all TO bars are pretty expensive for Westy (if they actually sell it, not just make an annoying frouferah about having it 'in the cellar') - I think Le Select is a rare exception selling these beers for enough of a price break that it's actually worth a detour.
In Beerum Veritas

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Just noticed the update on the Horizon website:
Breaking news- The LCBO just ordered 2000 giftpacks of WESTVLETEREN- slated to arrive in late AUGUST!!!!!!