Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Fall 2012 Release and Shipyard Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

wilco

LCBO Fall 2012 Release and Shipyard Feature

Post by wilco »

Since Grag hasn't posted it:

LCBO Autumn Craft Beer Release 2012

Item # / Product Name / Size (mL) / Suggested Retail
287466 / Pauwek Kwak / 330 / $3.00
287490 / Tripel Karmeliet / 330 / $3.00
284406 / Cannery Squire Scotch Ale / 650 / $5.80
174581 / Cannery Blackberry Porter / 650 / $5.80
173658 / Garrison Imperial IPA / 500 / $3.95
254656 / Ayinger Celebrator / 330 / $3.60
125435 / Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel / 500 / $3.05
288688 / St. Isid'Or / 750 / $6.25
285437 / Craftsman Oatmeal Chocolate Stout / 500 / $5.95
237875 / Box Steam Funnel Blower / 500 / $3.95
296939 / Meantime London Porter / 750 / $7.25
296830 / St. Peter's the Saints Whisky Beer / 500 / $4.95
236091 / Celt Bronze Crafted Ale / 500 / $3.65
297762 / Southern Tier Mokah / 650 / $9.85

LCBO Shipyard Brewery Feature Release 2012

Item # / Product Name / Size (mL) / Suggested Retail
288993 / Pugsley's Signature Series Imperial Porter / 625 / $7.95
289108 / Pugsley's Signature Serives XXXX IPA / 625 / $7.95
288969 / Pugsley's Signature Series BARLEY WINE / 625 / $7.95
254896 / Pugsley's Signature Series Smashed Pumpkin / 625 / $7.95

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Nice to see Mokah. Aside from the Shipyard stuff that is all that really caught my eye out of this release.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

nice. some good stuff in there. can't wait to stock up on tripel karmeliet (my favourite example of the style). will definitely run through a few bottles of the meantime porter and several others from the list.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Happy to see the Mokah, Karmeliet, Meantime, Isid'or, and Renaissance coming and the returning beers range from decent to great. The Shipyard stuff will be fun to try (especially the Porter). And all of this will be supplemented by the Halloween release. Not bad for the Board.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Nice to see Garrison and funnel blower returning. Other than that, the Mokah is the only one of any interest to me. Looking forward to the halloween realease, looks like we will have our fair share of pumpkin ales this year.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Nice to see the return of the Cannery black berry porter aswell. I remember really liking this a few years ago.

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

nice to see Mokah coming in. Also glad to see Funnel Blower coming back, didnt get enough of it before it was gone last year. Will definitely pick up some triple karmeliet, Renaissance and St. Isidor as well as trying each of the Shipyard beers.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I've had the XXXX IPA before, last October in fact according to my rating. I gave it a 3.6

Pours light amber with a thin white head, not much lacing. Big orange aromas waft out with some caramel and pine backing it. Rich sugary bread flavours with some candied orange type bitterness, not the bite expected based on the description Full body is cut well by medium carbonation, leaves with a pleasant spicy finish.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

likely won't spend a dime on any of it. :)

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

This is a substandard release typical of a communist regiment.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Will gladly buy some Mokah, the Shipyard beers and load up on Celebrator. I almost have enough of those little goats to decorate a christmas tree. Now here's hoping it comes in on time for Oktoberfest.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

This release is nothing to get excited about, i like the fact that there are certain brews coming back that ive enjoyed in previous years but i would love to see a little more variety that wasnt so euro heavy. Im happy to see Mokah as mentioned before but as for the shipyard release...anyone who buys brews in the states on a regular basis knows their stuff isnt anything to write home about. Maybe its just me but these releases and features just dont do it for me anymore, hence why i head down to the states every other month. Dont want to piss on anyones parade, but this is my personal opion.
Cheers.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Maybe not much to write home about except for the one and done beer ticking crowd, but there are some quality beers on the list.

I'm not the biggest Shipyard fan but I'll give the ones I haven't already tried a shot. Like the other releases, if I find myself really liking one of these beer I'll gladly go back for more.

Still, anytime I can get Ayinger locally, I'm going to stock up. The Garrison IIPA and Tripel Karmeliet are always quality and the Cannery Blackberry is pretty good. The Craftsman has me intrigued, and Mokah can always be cellared. Absoute worst case scenario - you get to save your money for a future release or spend it out of Province.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Not too much mass-market stuff, some solid returns of good stuff, and some worthy new ones to try out!

The ST MoKah is I believe a blend of the Choklat and the JahVa - and is supremely balanced, possibly the tastiest beer of the Blackwater series, which is to say for my own liking it's not too malty-sweet.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Belgian wrote:Not too much mass-market stuff, some solid returns of good stuff, and some worthy new ones to try out!

The ST MoKah is I believe a blend of the Choklat and the JahVa - and is supremely balanced, possibly the tastiest beer of the Blackwater series, which is to say for my own liking it's not too malty-sweet.
Overly sweet has been my criticism of some of the Blackwater series beers.