Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Halloween 2012 release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

264184 / DDC Corne du Diable IPA / 341 / $2.90

I think this product number used to be a 4 pack.. Greg are you sure it's going back to singles? It's not like the LCBO to change the product format without changing the product number as well.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

carguy

Post by carguy »

I like pumpkin beer season, but usually the Halloween release has a couple of stouts as well, which I will miss this year. I've mixed pumpkin beer and stout in the past with pleasant results.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

If an Ontario brewer busted out a smoked pumpkin stout, I would, quite literally, lose my sh!t. But first things first, I guess - if an Ontario brewer got a smoked beer into the LCBO, well, I may not have to change my diaper, but I'd be pretty damn pleased. So many are doing pumpkins (which I admittedly love), but it would be nice to see someone step up with a rauchbier (a style I crave from Sept through December). As it stands, I've got to turn to Schlenkerla for my smoke fix (not that that's a bad thing at all, but I'd still love it if I could support a local).

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

velovampire wrote:If an Ontario brewer busted out a smoked pumpkin stout, I would, quite literally, lose my sh!t. But first things first, I guess - if an Ontario brewer got a smoked beer into the LCBO, well, I may not have to change my diaper, but I'd be pretty damn pleased. So many are doing pumpkins (which I admittedly love), but it would be nice to see someone step up with a rauchbier (a style I crave from Sept through December). As it stands, I've got to turn to Schlenkerla for my smoke fix (not that that's a bad thing at all, but I'd still love it if I could support a local).
maybe i'm wrong, but the audience for smoked beer is going to be very, very small.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

atomeyes wrote: maybe i'm wrong, but the audience for smoked beer is going to be very, very small.
Yup. Or at least it would be pretty brave. Anyone seen any Aecht Schlenkerla sitting around lately? :-?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Bytowner wrote:
atomeyes wrote: maybe i'm wrong, but the audience for smoked beer is going to be very, very small.
Yup. Or at least it would be pretty brave. Anyone seen any Aecht Schlenkerla sitting around lately? :-?
Hows about this?

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/trafalgar- ... out/75180/
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

edit nm.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

If anyone wants, I have some bottles of Bierpholie Grand Calumet sitting in my cellar. I'd love to get rid of them as I'm not a smoke beer fan.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I was at the LCBO on Dundurn in Hamilton tonight, trying to buy some Black Creek Pumpkin. After not seeing it on the shelf I was told that the wrong scan code had been assigned to it and they wouldn't be allowed to sell any until the problem was fixed on Monday.

I'm don't know a lot about the LCBO system. Is this a single store issue or a systemmic problem across all stores?

SMC

Post by SMC »

boney wrote:Is this a single store issue or a systemmic problem across all stores?
I bought a bottle of Black Creek Pumpkin this morning at Clarkson(Mississauga) with no trouble. You probably just got some lazy employee that didn't want to search for your "fancy" beer.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

The guy I talked to was courtious and apologetic. He said that a few people had been asking about it and that they had cases being stored in the basement and ready to go once the problem was solved. Guess it's a single store problem.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

boney wrote:Guess it's a single store problem.
Probably. I bought a few bottles over a week ago (before it was even showing on the LCBO site) with no problem. Hope you get some soon, it's pretty good stuff. Seems to have more of an emphasis on the gourd and the spices are dialed back a bit. So far my fave pumpkins of this year's crop are: 1) (by a substantial margin) Grand River, 2) Black Creek, 3) Mill St. I have a couple botles of GLB's offering, but haven't tried this year's yet, and I'm anxiously awaiting the Beau's Weiss-O-Lantern. What can I say, I love me a pumpkin ale.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I seem to remember this happening with the Thornbridge Jaipur when it first came out at 401 and Weston.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

JeffPorter wrote:I seem to remember this happening with the Thornbridge Jaipur when it first came out at 401 and Weston.
That's the store across from my work.. they love when I ask them to check in the back. But they usually find what I'm looking for.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

nickelass wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:I seem to remember this happening with the Thornbridge Jaipur when it first came out at 401 and Weston.
That's the store across from my work.. they love when I ask them to check in the back. But they usually find what I'm looking for.
Though, IIRC, the Thornbridge was actually on the shelf, with a tag, and it wouldn't scan, so they couldn't sell it.