Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Horizon Beers/Agency

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Torontoblue wrote:You've covered the answer perfectly there. That's how it happens. And will continue to happen. It's a very 'fluid' business, if you pardon the pun, and brewers/wineries/distillers will always continue to move between agencies. Sometimes, an agencies portfolio will be too big so they decide to let a few suppliers go, mainly the ones that don't fit the new direction they are heading or looking for. And a new agency will step in. Suppliers approach agencies all the time, and vice versa.
So basically, it's only "stealing" or "poaching" when you're left on the short end of things. :P

Sounds a bit like sour grapes.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

mintjellie wrote:So basically, it's only "stealing" or "poaching" when you're left on the short end of things. :P

Sounds a bit like sour grapes.
Q: What's the difference between a slut and a bitch?

A: A slut sleeps with everyone. A bitch sleeps with everyone but you.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

About 15 years ago I had the LCBO list Duvel. Apparentlly it's no longer avaiable in Ontario. I receive calls every day from people looking for it even though I have not been the agent for over 2 years now. Sour grapes, of course, a new export manager who thought he would make great waves with agent changes around the world looks a bit silly right now. It does not matter to me. I spent so much money promoting Duvel at every major wine & beer fest in Ontario that it was not a profitable line for me. Horizon appears to be doing nothing. I don''appreciate the conments that have been posted about me and Horizon but, frankly, I don't care. I am an easy target because I am outspoken and say what I mean...doesn't matter. I have now resolved never to post on this site other than to announce new product offerrings...yes, it' my ball and I'm taking it away with me. Please let this thread die as I have no interest in further comments.,,but I know that there are those among you will feel the need to post...don't care! And if you're not careful, rabbit may come back...needelss to say, under another name. OK now I have to wash the dishes according to my wife. DRINK GOOD BEER.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

Oh noooooo drunky Mc drunk Peter is going to create a new account and abuse us!!!
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

esprit wrote:About 15 years ago I had the LCBO list Duvel. Apparentlly it's no longer avaiable in Ontario. I receive calls every day from people looking for it even though I have not been the agent for over 2 years now. Sour grapes, of course, a new export manager who thought he would make great waves with agent changes around the world looks a bit silly right now. It does not matter to me. I spent so much money promoting Duvel at every major wine & beer fest in Ontario that it was not a profitable line for me. Horizon appears to be doing nothing. I don''appreciate the conments that have been posted about me and Horizon but, frankly, I don't care. I am an easy target because I am outspoken and say what I mean...doesn't matter. I have now resolved never to post on this site other than to announce new product offerrings...yes, it' my ball and I'm taking it away with me. Please let this thread die as I have no interest in further comments.,,but I know that there are those among you will feel the need to post...don't care! And if you're not careful, rabbit may come back...needelss to say, under another name. OK now I have to wash the dishes according to my wife. DRINK GOOD BEER.
So what you're saying is that the client actively seeked out a new distributor, rather than the distributor actively seeking to convince the client to switch.

Well, that's an entirely different kettle of fish. Now you've made it sound even less like poaching.

How is it Horizons fault that your client actively went searching for someone else to rep them? What are they supposed to do? Say, "No mister brewer! We can't take your money, you're already giving it to someone else!" If one of your competitors brands were jumping ship and asked you to rep them instead, would you say no?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Garthicus wrote:Oh noooooo drunky Mc drunk Peter is going to create a new account and abuse us!!!
dude, why be an asshole? seriously.

next, you'll make fun of a diabetic?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

atomeyes wrote:
Garthicus wrote:Oh noooooo drunky Mc drunk Peter is going to create a new account and abuse us!!!

I guess you don't really know the history of Pete/Rabbit, do you?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Torontoblue wrote:
atomeyes wrote:

i don't need to know the details of anything to see that someone's taunting a person who had a drinking problem. that's pretty much where it begins and ends for me.

not only that, but it probably feels quite shitty to have a company from out west take away some of your business, especially when you're in a business with very low margins.

so while Peter's a person i've met 2-3 times for business purposes only, i'd kindly appreciate it if you and others would let things go and leave him be.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

"Don't you talk to Billy Idol that way!"
Fuckin' magnets... How do they work?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

atomeyes wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
atomeyes wrote: dude, why be an asshole? seriously.

i don't need to know the details of anything to see that someone's taunting a person who had a drinking problem. that's pretty much where it begins and ends for me.

not only that, but it probably feels quite shitty to have a company from out west take away some of your business, especially when you're in a business with very low margins.

so while Peter's a person i've met 2-3 times for business purposes only, i'd kindly appreciate it if you and others would let things go and leave him be.
But that company out west didn't take away his business at all. He said himself that the brewery sought out a new rep. Was the company out west supposed to say no?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
OK you bastids. I'll explain it to the new kids, since you had to kick the old hornets nest. Peter has quit BarTowel and come back a number of times.

He is a little famous for flying off on semi-abusive rants set off by pretty much anything other people post he doesn't like to see. These rants *may* come off as power-tripping, condescending, needlessly abrasive and wildly off-base in their presumption... while earnestly trying to impart a certain worldly wisdom, of course! The fellow just does not come across well in the written word. Oh yeah, and he's threatened someone here via email, as posted in the forum. Not sure what's up with that, and clearly a dumb move.

Personally the guy doesn't bother me much. I totally empathize why some people may be offended though, but PLEASE no more sending him anonymous personal threats - VERY uncool, and it's just against the law!!
In Beerum Veritas

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

^^^^

What Belgian said.. although if I remember correctly it was Pete who was sending abusive messages in PM's..
"A pint is too much, but I do not mind pickles" and " even more synthetic (and natural) aroma."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Garthicus wrote:^^^^

What Belgian said.. although if I remember correctly it was Pete who was sending abusive messages in PM's..
Yes both seemed to have happened, like what Belgian said. 8)
In Beerum Veritas