Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Flying Monkeys/Barenaked Ladies Imperial Chocolate Stout...

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Showing stock...Laird Ave in TO, 12 on hand currently....Now just have to wait a couple weeks for it to show up in the capital...
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

If it's like the Meantime, that will be never!

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Has anybody seen the Tempest in Ottawa yet?

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

The Mick wrote:Showing stock...Laird Ave in TO, 12 on hand currently....Now just have to wait a couple weeks for it to show up in the capital...
Thanks for the heads up! Just put two aside! Hopefully get to crack into one tonight.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Ceecee wrote:Has anybody seen the Tempest in Ottawa yet?
They said this week, but it's still not showing stock, and I didn't see it at Bank and Walkley last night.

munrets

Post by munrets »

Picked up two bottles of BNL at the Leaside 'BO today. There was a box of the BNL sitting on a cart (along with a bunch of boxes of Innis and Gunn Treacle Porter - of which I bought one) that was opened - nothing shelved yet. The website lists 12 bottles so that would be this box. The packing for this beer is massive.

Also picked up the Rogue Pumpkin.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

The LCBO website says its in stock at Yonge and Summerhill. Though they do only say there are 1701 of them there...

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

groulxsome wrote:The LCBO website says its in stock at Yonge and Summerhill. Though they do only say there are 1701 of them there...
There's a launch event for the beer happening at Summerhill next Wednesday afternoon, with members of BNL present to chat and sign the boxes. I suspect that explains the heavy stock level there.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

GregClow wrote:
groulxsome wrote:The LCBO website says its in stock at Yonge and Summerhill. Though they do only say there are 1701 of them there...
There's a launch event for the beer happening at Summerhill next Wednesday afternoon, with members of BNL present to chat and sign the boxes. I suspect that explains the heavy stock level there.
Greg do you know if they're saving it for the launch? I'm heading downtown this afternoon, and want to pick up a bottle, but hopefully they aren't holding onto all of them...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Is that a public event? I have the day off!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

picked up a couple today at summerhill. Careful several of the boxes" cardboard were straining from the weight.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

JerCraigs wrote:Is that a public event? I have the day off!
I think it's open to the public. Or I hope it is, 'cause the press release I got didn't mention it being media-only, so I mentioned it on CBN.

It runs 1:30-3:30, with the BNL guys there 2:00-3:00.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:
ErkLR wrote: Not to mention the big heavy winter beers (which I love), don't necessarily go well at all with what I'm eating.
Another good point - while dessert beers are wonderful, I'm not always in the mood for a pint and a half of it...
You might want to match the meal to the beer instead of over-loading the meal with the big beer.

With BNL or other big beers you could plan to a) have a more substantial lunch and b) eat a simpler 'sherry and snacks' type of dinner - some breads, maybe a soup, lighter foods like grapes and walnuts that compliment the heavy, calorie-heavy beer. Foods like simple crepes or dumplings might make a light course that matches this type of heavy beer also.

It's balancing one extreme with another.

In any case - eating and especially drinking late does mess you up after a while, and it's not good for night rest!
In Beerum Veritas