Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Radical Road Brewing Co - Canny Man at the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Anyone try this yet? Thoughts?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

It's a damn sexy beer. From the packaging, to the sweet and smoky taste.

I quite liked it. If you were able to get your hands on a bottle of the BA Nutcracker, same barrels, obviously, but I liked this beer a lot more.

I don't know if it was the blending ratio, or what, but the barrel ageing didn't drown out the base qualities of the beer.

The vanilla and wood flavours worked really well with the toffee-ness of the malts. The peat was there, but less in the forefront. It never really gets cloying but 750 is a bit much for me - so good for sharing.

I drank it with chocolate, and I have to say I think it goes better with that than any stout I've ever had.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I quite liked it. My first impression was "wow, that is a lot of peat smoke", but it really grew on me as I worked my way through the 750 ml. Packaging is perhaps the most elaborate ever for a beer brewed in Ontario.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

If you like single malt whiskey (the smokey / peaty kind) this is quite the brew!

It's like consuming a lower ABV / larger volume whiskey and I've already acquired some more.

I've had some of the other scotch ales (holy smoke; amsterdam wee heavy; cannery and walkerville) and this is by far the best and most unique. If I recall also the most expensive.

mol_son

Post by mol_son »

How does it compare to St. Peter's The Saints?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

mol_son wrote:How does it compare to St. Peter's The Saints?
I Haven't opened mine yet but I will bet everything that it is better than The Saints. I mean it couldn't be any worse.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

JeffPorter wrote:It's a damn sexy beer. From the packaging, to the sweet and smoky taste.
To be honest, I originally had no intention of purchasing this bottle as I have a hard time getting into the smoked beers. But when I saw that packaging yesterday it went right into the basket.
JeffPorter wrote:I quite liked it. If you were able to get your hands on a bottle of the BA Nutcracker, same barrels, obviously, but I liked this beer a lot more.
That is good news. I had the BA Nutcracker, and although I am not a fan of the porter style, I did not mind it and actually throughly enjoyed it. So hearing this has a similar profile, but better is great.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:It's a damn sexy beer. From the packaging, to the sweet and smoky taste.
To be honest, I originally had no intention of purchasing this bottle as I have a hard time getting into the smoked beers. But when I saw that packaging yesterday it went right into the basket.
JeffPorter wrote:I quite liked it. If you were able to get your hands on a bottle of the BA Nutcracker, same barrels, obviously, but I liked this beer a lot more.
That is good news. I had the BA Nutcracker, and although I am not a fan of the porter style, I did not mind it and actually throughly enjoyed it. So hearing this has a similar profile, but better is great.
But do you like single malt whiskey? It's the best way to describe this beer IMO

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:...Packaging is perhaps the most elaborate ever for a beer brewed in Ontario.
Yes I think they out-Beau's Beau's on this one. Some fancy shizzit here, yo!

I like the way Radical Road come screaming out of the starting gate with a niche-market beer that looks this good. And I haven't even opened it yet.
In Beerum Veritas

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I don't care how good it is, I wont pay for sexy packaging on a new breweries product.

More for the rest of you. :wink:

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

mintjellie wrote:I don't care how good it is, I wont pay for sexy packaging on a new breweries product.

Cheaper than GLB RIS, which has relatively mediocre packaging. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

cmadd wrote:
mintjellie wrote:I don't care how good it is, I wont pay for sexy packaging on a new breweries product.

Cheaper than GLB RIS, which has relatively mediocre packaging. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Didn't pick that up either. I'm sort of burnt out on good but not exceptional beers at high prices from local brewers. I've been buying and drinking more ordinary, everyday sorts of beers for awhile now.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

So I gave this a shot. Looks, smells and tastes just like — you guessed it — scotch. And I know I'm losing "man points" here by admitting it, but I've just never liked scotch that much, and I've tried all kinds of putatively good ones. I'm more into bourbon and rye myself.

Also, the head on this was enormous. A regular pour into a pint glass yielded about 75% foam. Wild.

With the awesome-looking packaging, I think this'd make a great gift for the scotch-liker in your life. But it's definitely not for me.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

As a scotch fan, I totally and thoroughly enjoyed this. I could quibble over a minor flaw or two but really this is a quality beer at a reasonable price when you factor in ABV, packaging, barrel aging, size, etc... Glad to see interesting things like this pop up here in Ontario.

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

Had high hopes but it didn't come through. Too much smoke, not enough anything else. Like shintriad said, I thought I had a decent pour but the head was still a little excessive.

Pretty bottle though!