Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Radical Road Brewing Co - Canny Man at the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Radical Road Brewing Co - Canny Man at the LCBO

Post by spinrsx »

not sure what this is all about.. but according to NAC's fb page

"We have a barrel aged scotch wee heavy ale coming out soon to the Lcbo. 9.1% alcohol and only have a small amount available for the Ontario market. We have pre-sold 80% in the first 3 days. Get Radical Road Brewing Co - Canny Man while you can! $10.95 per 750ml bottle. Once this is gone, well, it really is gone!"

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

never heard of this brewery

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

matt7215 wrote:never heard of this brewery
Nor can I find anything about this brewery or the beer...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

https://twitter.com/RadicalRoadBrew

Doesn't have much, but it's a start.

I'm investigating...

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

From what I have heard it is affiliated with Black Oak, I think its one of their brewers and someone else and I was under the impression this was being brewed at Black Oak.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Confirm the above from PennSteen is basically correct. I talked to someone at Cask Days wth first hand knowledge. Not sure it is affiliated with Black Oak though -- may only be using their facilities, like other contract brewers.
Last edited by midlife crisis on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

And out of the gate, they're into the LC with a barrel-aged beer???

Wow...

...even spearhead spent a year invading every bar in Toronto.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

It's gonna be a good one.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:And out of the gate, they're into the LC with a barrel-aged beer???
Wow...
...even spearhead spent a year invading every bar in Toronto.
Sure. Spearhead was a financing & marketing campaign long before it was even physical beer.

Radical Road / Black Oak has their business in place already, and (I think) now rises to the 'ultra-premium' challenges from Beau's, Amsterdam, Muskoka and Great Lakes.

It's an exhilarating time for 'local' beer.
In Beerum Veritas

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

Contract brewed at Black Oak, then aged in single malt whisky barrels, followed by secondary fermentation in bombers with caged corks. I was given a sneak preview: smoky-peaty nose, a velvet smooth mouthfeel, Scotch ale maltiness with definite Scotch whisky overtones.

If you are on my Santa list, you'll probably be getting a bottle of this for Xmas, if I can force myself to part with it.
Too many beers, too little time...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

AlanB wrote:Contract brewed at Black Oak, then aged in single malt whisky barrels, followed by secondary fermentation in bombers with caged corks. I was given a sneak preview: smoky-peaty nose, a velvet smooth mouthfeel, Scotch ale maltiness with definite Scotch whisky overtones.

If you are on my Santa list, you'll probably be getting a bottle of this for Xmas, if I can force myself to part with it.
Am I on your list?

AlanB

Post by AlanB »

JeffPorter wrote:
AlanB wrote:Contract brewed at Black Oak, then aged in single malt whisky barrels, followed by secondary fermentation in bombers with caged corks. I was given a sneak preview: smoky-peaty nose, a velvet smooth mouthfeel, Scotch ale maltiness with definite Scotch whisky overtones.

Am I on your list?
If you have to ask, you're not. :)
Too many beers, too little time...

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I'm on your list. :wink:
We can get drunker than this!!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Can I be on A list?

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

JeffPorter wrote:Can I be on A list?
List of people who want to be on a list:

JeffPorter
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.