Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Peche is coming back

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Peche is coming back

Post by andrewrg »

Thought this deserved its own thread. Woohoo! I can drink my last one from 2011 without fear that there won't be more.

Iceman

Post by Iceman »

andrewrg wrote:

Thought this deserved its own thread. Woohoo! I can drink my last one from 2011 without fear that there won't be more.
YES!
"Beer that is not drunk had missed its vocation."
http://www.twitter.com/IcemanFTW

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I was getting a little low in my cellar. I think this winter will bean especially cold one, and I'm looking forward to having this infront of the fireplace after the wife and kid go to sleep 8)
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Best news in a long time!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

sprague11 wrote:I was getting a little low in my cellar. I think this winter will bean especially cold one, and I'm looking forward to having this infront of the fireplace after the wife and kid go to sleep 8)
Anyone have experience with cellaring Peche. Does it improve? Stay pretty much the same?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote:
sprague11 wrote:I was getting a little low in my cellar. I think this winter will bean especially cold one, and I'm looking forward to having this infront of the fireplace after the wife and kid go to sleep 8)
Anyone have experience with cellaring Peche. Does it improve? Stay pretty much the same?
Coffee flavour generally fades over time so theoretically that's what will happen as you age Peche. I have had a 2 year old bottle that was still very coffee-forward although still less than a fresh bottle. I would be interested to hear from people who have aged Peche for longer.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

oldest bottle I had was 4 years. Faint hint of coffee, but still a very good stout. I tend to like it with 6-12 months on it.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gets more winey and round with less 'sharp' espresso snap to it & maintains a fullness that becomes more smooth. Peche ages well for years (Volo may have some pre-ged stock for you to try.)
In Beerum Veritas

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

JeffPorter wrote:
I just scored 2 bottles of 2007 (original public bottling). I'll let you know when I open 'em!

If you're ever in O-town, we can share one.

Cheers.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

iguenard wrote:
I just scored 2 bottles of 2007 (original public bottling). I'll let you know when I open 'em!

If you're ever in O-town, we can share one.

Cheers.
Quite the score! And I may take you up on that sometime, Ian :P

Guess I'll have to cellar some.

It's back on Nitro @ Bar Hop, and it's just delicious that way!!!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

ErkLR

Post by ErkLR »

sprague11 wrote:I think this winter will bean especially cold one...
Was that an awful pun on coffee beans or a Freudian slip?

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I had the chance to speak to one of the brewers at the brewpub a few years back. Probably at least 4 years ago. He told me he only enjoys Peche with at least a years worth of aging. I personally don't care wether it is fresh or aged. I've always enjoyed.
We can get drunker than this!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

ErkLR wrote:
Typo, he means it will be an espresso-ly cold winter.
In Beerum Veritas

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Belgian wrote:
ErkLR wrote:
Typo, he means it will be an espresso-ly cold winter.
How long have you been letting that joke percolate? I don't mean to press you, but you don't seem to have a filter on these.

Dark Roast.
saintjohnswort.ca