Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Nøgne ø Brewery Feature - December 2012

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

JeffPorter wrote:Haven't had the Two Captains yet, but I think the 100 might be the best barley wine (It is a barley wine, right?) I've had in some time. Nice big US hops with a real UK malt profile. It works beautifully.
I've heard #100 is a Imperial IPA, however there was labeling issues in the States so they went with Strong Ale and classified it as a barley wine. When I checked into untappd they had it listed as Imperial IPA as well.

I don't remember who told me this so my information could be incorrect, and so to could untappd (shocking!), but from the hop profile alone I think it's more to a IIPA style myself.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

_sloth wrote:
Belgian wrote:Our LC shelves runneth over!
In the GTA.
Yes usually the first, at any rate. Wish good luck to those in the UNGTA.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: I've heard #100 is a Imperial IPA, however there was labeling issues in the States so they went with Strong Ale and classified it as a barley wine. When I checked into untappd they had it listed as Imperial IPA as well...from the hop profile alone I think it's more to a IIPA style myself.
It's an American-style barley wine, and a great one at that. Looking forward to revisiting this one as it's almost up there with Big Foot and Old Ruffian IMO.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

cratez wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote: I've heard #100 is a Imperial IPA, however there was labeling issues in the States so they went with Strong Ale and classified it as a barley wine. When I checked into untappd they had it listed as Imperial IPA as well...from the hop profile alone I think it's more to a IIPA style myself.
It's an American-style barley wine, and a great one at that. Looking forward to revisiting this one as it's almost up there with Big Foot and Old Ruffian IMO.
From it's Ratebeer description:
Editor’s note: Even though the label says "Barley Wine" in the States, the brewery usually says it’s brewed to be an IIPA. The American label was supposedly a glitch. In Europe it’s sold as an IIPA. But to save the admin crew some time dealing with user feedback, it’s listed as a Barley Wine.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Is it just mine, or do a lot of these Nogne beers have a wack load of yeast sticking to the top of the bottle near the cap. I found this on both my Two Captains and both the Tiger Tripels but not the stout. Is this a shipment issue? It's the first time I've opened a bottle to see this much muddy residue greeting me and its not very appealing.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Probably cases turned upside down somewhere along the supply chain
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

mintjellie wrote: From it's Ratebeer description: Editor’s note: Even though the label says "Barley Wine" in the States, the brewery usually says it’s brewed to be an IIPA. The American label was supposedly a glitch. In Europe it’s sold as an IIPA. But to save the admin crew some time dealing with user feedback, it’s listed as a Barley Wine.
Have you tried this beer before? Besides the big hop character, there's nothing about it that resembles a Double IPA. If the brewer considers it a DIPA, it's undoubtedly the darkest, sweetest, and most barleywine/ASA-like example I've ever come across. Unless they've changed the recipe?

cratez wrote: 4.28/5 rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep mahogany brown with one finger of beige head and stringy lacing on the tulip. Smell and taste are floral and earthy hops, a hint of spruce, light yeastiness, prunes, toast, ripe pit fruit, taffy sweetness, roasted barley, dark plums, chocolate, caramel, a touch of boozy heat in the back of the throat, and an excellent citric hop bitterness to end. Definitely a hop-forward barley wine in the American mold, but there's enough malt flavour and complexity to balance things out. Mouthfeel is thick and full-bodied, sticky sweet, gooey syrup-like middle with a dryly bitter and round hop finish that coats the mouth. Some warmth kicks in after a few sips. Overall, a great interpretation of the style.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez wrote:
mintjellie wrote: From it's Ratebeer description: Editor’s note: Even though the label says "Barley Wine" in the States, the brewery usually says it’s brewed to be an IIPA. The American label was supposedly a glitch. In Europe it’s sold as an IIPA. But to save the admin crew some time dealing with user feedback, it’s listed as a Barley Wine.
Have you tried this beer before? Besides the big hop character, there's nothing about it that resembles a Double IPA. If the brewer considers it a DIPA, it's undoubtedly the darkest, sweetest, and most barleywine/ASA-like example I've ever come across. Unless they've changed the recipe?

cratez wrote: 4.28/5 rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep mahogany brown with one finger of beige head and stringy lacing on the tulip. Smell and taste are floral and earthy hops, a hint of spruce, light yeastiness, prunes, toast, ripe pit fruit, taffy sweetness, roasted barley, dark plums, chocolate, caramel, a touch of boozy heat in the back of the throat, and an excellent citric hop bitterness to end. Definitely a hop-forward barley wine in the American mold, but there's enough malt flavour and complexity to balance things out. Mouthfeel is thick and full-bodied, sticky sweet, gooey syrup-like middle with a dryly bitter and round hop finish that coats the mouth. Some warmth kicks in after a few sips. Overall, a great interpretation of the style.
It definitely drinks like an American Barley Wine or ASA, but don't really care because it's delicious.

Only question is, is it worth ageing? Or are the hops just too yummy right now to let them go to waste?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

The brewer at Nogne O said it was Shelton Bros. who gave it the title "Barleywine" as they felt that's what best fit the flavour. Supposedly for their 100th batch they wanted to make a beer "for themselves" - the brewer wanted a DIPA, another guy wanted something darker. The result is what we have, and they don't refer to it by any style at Nogne O. I have not yet tried it so I can't offer an opinion.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JeffPorter wrote: It definitely drinks like an American Barley Wine or ASA...Is it worth ageing? Or are the hops just too yummy right now to let them go to waste?
I personally prefer to drink hoppy beers fresh, but many of the great US-style barleywines retain their bold hop character for years. I say enjoy as many as possible now and put 1 or 2 aside for down the road.
Cale wrote: It was Shelton Bros. who gave it the title "Barleywine" as they felt that's what best fit the flavour...the brewer wanted a DIPA, another guy wanted something darker...I have not yet tried it
Yeah, I guess I just don't understand the brewer's indifference/contrarianism when the beer is so obviously a barleywine. Why not call a spade a spade and avoid the trouble of trying to obfuscate things? In the case of 10 Bitter Years, the pre-launch mystery surrounding the beer's style made sense because it created interest and hype for the release. But at least the brewery acknowledges it's a DIPA now that it's won awards under that category.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Managed to grab the release today. Did the LCBO make them change the label for Tiger Tripel? Who else would be crazy enough to remove goggles from a tiger. Maybe it fell under the "pink elephant" law.
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cale wrote:Managed to grab the release today. Did the LCBO make them change the label for Tiger Tripel? Who else would be crazy enough to remove goggles from a tiger. Maybe it fell under the "pink elephant" law.
No, the depiction implied Beer Goggles which is a term offensive to women that resemble Ronnie Corbett. :evil:
In Beerum Veritas

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

So far I've tried the Jungling Jul, the Two Captains, and the Tiger Tripel. I really liked all of them but the tripel tasted kind of astringent. Not sure if it was a wonky one or if that was supposed to be there.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

Lukie wrote:Is it just mine, or do a lot of these Nogne beers have a wack load of yeast sticking to the top of the bottle near the cap. I found this on both my Two Captains and both the Tiger Tripels but not the stout. Is this a shipment issue? It's the first time I've opened a bottle to see this much muddy residue greeting me and its not very appealing.
I had alot of lees in mine but just at the bottom. I just tilted the bottle upside down and slowly rotated to mix it in. Works like a charm, free probiotics!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Picked up three of these along with a couple other goodies at my local 'BO tonight. Looking forward to trying over the holidays. Nice that I could just walk in and casually pick up such great beers with no lineups :-)