Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

groulxsome wrote: What's the over/under on "it's better on tap" or "the last batch was better" posts?
It's consistently great in all formats.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

cratez wrote:
groulxsome wrote: What's the over/under on "it's better on tap" or "the last batch was better" posts?
i was underwhelmed by the single bottle of this ive had, but i hope the bombers are filled with the beer that gets everyone around here so excited

i like that they priced this at $6.95 a bomber

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

matt7215 wrote:
cratez wrote:
i was underwhelmed by the single bottle of this ive had, but i hope the bombers are filled with the beer that gets everyone around here so excited

Is that really a good price though?

2 tall boys of Mad Tom, 946ml, $5.90.
1 bomber of RPA, 650ml, $6.95.

And IMHO I don't believe it to be far superior to Mad Tom.

I'll still buy some of it, as I love it... and it'll be a good companion to Mad Tom in my fridge. But I don't think it's a *great* price.

heebes

Post by heebes »

6 packs from the brewery were over priced too so its not a surprise.

no need to go into the "its not overpriced if people will pay it" argument again but yeah

i'd have prefered regular bottles, probably wont be getting many bombers of it...not liking the recent preference of large formats for IPAs (Lone Pine, 10 Bitter Years etc..)

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

heebes wrote:6 packs from the brewery were over priced too so its not a surprise.

no need to go into the "its not overpriced if people will pay it" argument again but yeah

i'd have prefered regular bottles, probably wont be getting many bombers of it...not liking the recent preference of large formats for IPAs (Lone Pine, 10 Bitter Years etc..)
No I'm not surprised. And yeah, I get the "if ppl will pay it" argument. I am a little surprised that matt made a point of saying he liked the price. That's all.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

JesseMcG wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
cratez wrote: It's consistently great in all formats.

Is that really a good price though?

2 tall boys of Mad Tom, 946ml, $5.90.
1 bomber of RPA, 650ml, $6.95.

And IMHO I don't believe it to be far superior to Mad Tom.

I'll still buy some of it, as I love it... and it'll be a good companion to Mad Tom in my fridge. But I don't think it's a *great* price.
i dont hink its a great price, im just happy to see it at $6.95, i was expecting $9.95 to be honest

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

I would have preferred this in 6-packs/cans, but I'm happy this is coming to the LCBO. Excellent beer.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

vandutchy wrote: Yeah I saw a set-up in one of the LCBO's yesterday for "Hoppy Beers" where they had the label for Founders, West Coast, Mad Tom and Hop Circle displayed. Now they are just waiting for product!
They had this display at Brock and Kingston. On the shelf was Mad Tom, Boneshaker, Hop Head, Souther Tier.. AND Alexander Keith's.. When I asked the guy stocking the shelf why it was there, he pointed at the can where it says India Pale Ale lol.

heebes

Post by heebes »

JesseMcG wrote: That's all.
yeah i agree with you, didnt mean to come off arguing

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
vandutchy wrote: Yeah I saw a set-up in one of the LCBO's yesterday for "Hoppy Beers" where they had the label for Founders, West Coast, Mad Tom and Hop Circle displayed. Now they are just waiting for product!
They had this display at Brock and Kingston. On the shelf was Mad Tom, Boneshaker, Hop Head, Souther Tier.. AND Alexander Keith's.. When I asked the guy stocking the shelf why it was there, he pointed at the can where it says India Pale Ale lol.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

hop circle now listed and in stock:

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/s ... anguage=EN

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

that didn't last long...

ORVAL TRAPPIST ALE
Belgium | Brasserie D'Orval, Canada Inc.
LCBO 439992 | 330 mL | $ 3.55 | PRODUCT DISCONTINUED

distr0

Post by distr0 »

matt7215 wrote:
cratez wrote:

ditto, the RPA was very very 'meh', and i've tried it on 4(?) separate occasions (all bottles though). no desire to try it again except maybe on tap

i really don't understand the hype over it

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

spinrsx wrote:that didn't last long...

ORVAL TRAPPIST ALE
Belgium | Brasserie D'Orval, Canada Inc.
LCBO 439992 | 330 mL | $ 3.55 | PRODUCT DISCONTINUED
this cant be an issue on the demand side of things, orval flew off the shelf around here

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Had a couple pints of the RPA on cask earlier this year. Thought it was fantastic, and once it reached the LCBO would never leave my fridge. So, good news, but a bit bummed it's in bombers.