Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Might try again on another batch if people seem to like it.
Nooooope!

Don't bother. This stuff it bad, it wasn't just you. I see now why they recommend it ice cold, served with ice. Do yourself a favour and forget about ever trying it again.

That goes for all of you! You hear that Bartowel? We drank this beer so you wouldn't have to.

I'm not putting this post under "Beer reviews" because I don't want to dignify Guinness Black Lager with that label.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Really weird. This is the sort of thing that gives craft a bad name. I mean, I realize Guinness isn't craft, but crap like this just reinforces uninformed newbies who say "I don't like any dark beer" or "dark beer tastes heavy and bad". What is the thinking behind putting something on the market that is unpalatable when anything but one degree north of frozen cold?

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze is now listed. I've never bought it before...is $22.80 a reasonable price?

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... anguage=EN

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Ceecee wrote:3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze is now listed. I've never bought it before...is $22.80 a reasonable price?

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... anguage=EN
And more importantly, is this the standard Oude Geuze or the Armand & Tomme version that was rumored to be coming?

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

It would have to be the Armand & Tommy to be priced that high. I bought a case of the regular oude gueuze last year (12 x 750) for around $160.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Fantastic.

Any info on when it'll start showing up, how much each city is getting, etc?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Kekumba wrote:Fantastic.

I especially want to know how much is coming. In other words, will I have to line up early to get it?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Ceecee wrote:3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze is now listed. I've never bought it before...is $22.80 a reasonable price?
$22.80 is a very good price. You won't get much change from $30.00 out West.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

squeaky wrote:
Kekumba wrote:Fantastic.

I especially want to know how much is coming. In other words, will I have to line up early to get it?
Apparently 105 cases. Whether there's 6 or 12 bottles a case, I don't know.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

^^^ Cases of 6.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Thanks guys.

So 630 bottles. Of which probably like 2/3 end up in the GTA. That's not many, hopefully the sticker shock will deter most people.

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

squeaky wrote:Thanks guys.

So 630 bottles. Of which probably like 2/3 end up in the GTA. That's not many, hopefully the sticker shock will deter most people.
Do we have any idea when they will hit shelves?

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

squeaky wrote:Thanks guys.

In my experiences, quite the opposite: "Hey this beer is selling for 22 bucks? It MUST be good!!!"
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Would be great if it would show up some time this week. The less attention surrounding it, the better. I haven't seen much info regarding it being in Ontario.

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Given how long the (limited) Chimay Speciale Cent Cinquante was around (and the price), I wouldn't be too worried. The average/curious beer buyer isn't likely to drop $23 on a bottle of something they know nothing about.