Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Was at Manulife at 10:00, woman wouldn't touch the skids for me. Went over to Atrium & snagged three (didn't grab them all!). Thought I was going to miss this release (at the airport as I type), but happy to know they're waiting for me when I return!

Ontario is changing, this release wouldn't have hit Ontario not that long ago...

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Scottatron wrote:Is this the regular Oude Geuze and Armand and Tommy is coming later? Either way, I'll be trying to get some of both.
It's the Armand and Tommy.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Ukie wrote:
cratez wrote:
boney wrote: Makes sense. I can't argue with logistics.
Even if you disregard the warehouse locations, it mostly makes sense from a population/market demand perspective. In terms of large urban centres, the GTA, Ottawa, Hamilton, and London are to Ontario what NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse are to New York. Or put another way, 58 percent of Ontarians live in these four urban areas. Beyond that they all have decent to excellent beer scenes that drive demand for niche products/special releases. So while it's fair to say that Hamilton and K-W (roughly the same metro pop. as London) have wrongfully missed out on this one, there's nothing unusual about it heading to the other three centres.

Quite true but.....but....the LCBO is a monopoly, if you cant get enough product to supply the area you are in control of then get out of the business.

My analogy would be Canada Post saying we arent doing the mail for Kenora, Moosonee and so on anymore because there is no demand. Although this may happen or CPC would like it to happen.

Private stores in the States get their product from private distibutors and may spread the product around, there may be not enough to go around but its not like one store or area gets it all, unlike here.

Me personally I dont care, I would have probably bought 6 (maybe try to bring in a case) if it didnt come to Hamilton, some for myself some for friends some for those in the area that didnt get any but now I have $136.80 to spend in Michigan next week, .....boo hoo!

I know we have covered this topic before and this is the only comment I will make.
Yeah. I hear all the comments. Hamilton and the KW seem to miss out on everything, all the time, though. That's the problem with monopolies, they are non-responsive. The KW has been in their glory times the past 5 years (maybe not right now) and Hamilton is poised as the next "it" spot in Ontario (I jest you not) and still there is no purchasing recognition from an LCBO standpoint.

If I hadn't stalked out Alberta bottle shops when this hit, I'd be super pissed about missing out on A&T. Even now, it just rubs me sideways.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

boney wrote: Hamilton is poised as the next "it" spot in Ontario (I jest you not) and still there is no purchasing recognition from an LCBO standpoint.
Hamilton is always the next "it" spot until people move there and realize it's full of people like them looking for "it". Constant ebb and flow of 416ers

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

admviolin wrote:
boney wrote: Hamilton is poised as the next "it" spot in Ontario (I jest you not) and still there is no purchasing recognition from an LCBO standpoint.
Hamilton is always the next "it" spot until people move there and realize it's full of people like them looking for "it". Constant ebb and flow of 416ers
But some online Toronto blog/magazine told me it was!!!! ;)

Real estate is cheap. Not the best location if you want to live where you work, though!

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

mixedup wrote: But some online Toronto blog/magazine told me it was!!!! ;)

Real estate is cheap. Not the best location if you want to live where you work, though!
Haha! As a Hamiltonian I grew up always hearing that Hamilton was going to turn around and get better. I have a soft spot for it, but only because I don't live there.

A wise man in a bar once said: Being from Hamilton is like having a loose sister - You're embarrassed by it, but you'll still defend it.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

admviolin wrote:

Haha! As a Hamiltonian I grew up always hearing that Hamilton was going to turn around and get better. I have a soft spot for it, but only because I don't live there.

A wise man in a bar once said: Being from Hamilton is like having a loose sister - You're embarrassed dby it, but you'll still defend it.
Haha. Hell, maybe you guys are right. I honestly don't have a lot of time depth here. I lived in Hamilton for 4 years, moved away for 3 and then moved back, by choice. I do like the vibe the city has and it changed ridiculously the 3 years I was gone. And maybe I like an underdog......and my gueuze. C'mon LCBO, there's,like, 750,000 people here, we aren't all drinking Colt 45!

Scottatron

Post by Scottatron »

squeaky wrote:
Scottatron wrote:Is this the regular Oude Geuze and Armand and Tommy is coming later? Either way, I'll be trying to get some of both.
It's the Armand and Tommy.
Thanks for the clarification Squeaky.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

boney wrote:
admviolin wrote:

A wise man in a bar once said: Being from Hamilton is like having a loose sister - You're embarrassed dby it, but you'll still defend it.
Haha. Hell, maybe you guys are right. I honestly don't have a lot of time depth here. I lived in Hamilton for 4 years, moved away for 3 and then moved back, by choice. I do like the vibe the city has and it changed ridiculously the 3 years I was gone. And maybe I like an underdog......and my gueuze. C'mon LCBO, there's,like, 750,000 people here, we aren't all drinking Colt 45!
I only visit Hamilton occasionally, but I am a ardent defender! I love that town! I always, think.."hmmm....is the Hamilton-Wentworth board hiring"? Then I realize no one is hiring, and that gets shut down pretty fast...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

jprime

Post by jprime »

Yesterday there was a shelf full at the store at Brock and Kingston in Pickering if anyone is out this way.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Lots in stock today. Nothing showing for Ottawa yet. Bah!

pushkinwow

Post by pushkinwow »

Kekumba wrote:Think I'm the only one from Ottawa posting about it, but I called Rideau/King Edward an hour ago and the guy said 42 on order, not in stock yet (and hopefully within the next 24-48 hours).

Even though I still don't trust them and it's probably on the shelf right now. :P
Maybe not posting but hoping :D
Called last night and got the same response you did...may call this morning to find out if its on the shelf yet but hard to get down there during the day to pick any up...

uno99

Post by uno99 »

Had my wife go to Cooper St right at 10:00. They are telling her they cant find the 3F

EDIT: They found them! I got six so they should be down to 18 now. go get 'em beer geeks
@Wongafootball

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

A bunch made it to the shelf at St. Lawrence Mkt this morning.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Wow, Belleville got some? That's so random.