Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Just bought a "six pack" of 8 for just over $15. To put that in perspective...

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... anguage=EN

:o
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

ya.. there really is no reason not to stock up on rochefort. Probably one of the best beers at the lcbo and at an excellent price.. and it has a long shelf/cellar life

uno99

Post by uno99 »

Regarding the Rochefort - Amazing deal. I bought a case earlier for long term cellaring. Anyone know what these generally sell for in Buffalo? I seem to remember them being atleast $4 or so in Michigan stores.
@Wongafootball

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

spinrsx wrote:Central City Imperial Ipa For Autism showing stock now
The bottle proudly states that $5 of the $9 price tag goes towards autism research. Besides this impressive profit sharing, this is a very delicious IIPA from Central City and is highly recommended.
Last edited by Lukie on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

spinrsx wrote:ya.. there really is no reason not to stock up on rochefort. Probably one of the best beers at the lcbo and at an excellent price.. and it has a long shelf/cellar life

Oh people are stocking up all right. The Promenade location, which is not really known for having too many of the seasonals and many that they get tend to linger on the shelves for longer than normal, was cleaned out of around 50 bottles of Rochefort, in a single day.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

uno99 wrote:Regarding the Rochefort - Amazing deal. I bought a case earlier for long term cellaring. Anyone know what these generally sell for in Buffalo? I seem to remember them being atleast $4 or so in Michigan stores.
I think they go for six or eight bucks, retail- and bars often the same menu price, since there they can buy them wholesale. Meanwhile * here * there's such a wild price difference which must be Ontario's way of saying STAY HOME AND DRINK like good little Canadian mugwumps.
No, don't even do that outside if possible - and definitely on premises - see the awkwardly-worded 'picnicking' brochure at LCBO stores which implies and dances around yet never explains how you can 'picnic' (with alcohol) in your own backyard. What a freewheeling adventure! If you even have a yard... gee thanks for that. Let's pack the basket and go outside.

^ Sorry I just think that's funny. Seriously, go to Europe and get drunk in a public park on good, affordable liquor sometime. It's liberating.
In Beerum Veritas

MetalHead

Post by MetalHead »

Belgian wrote:
uno99 wrote:Regarding the Rochefort - Amazing deal. I bought a case earlier for long term cellaring. Anyone know what these generally sell for in Buffalo? I seem to remember them being atleast $4 or so in Michigan stores.
I think they go for six or eight bucks, retail- and bars often the same menu price, since there they can buy them wholesale. Meanwhile * here * there's such a wild price difference which must be Ontario's way of saying STAY HOME AND DRINK like good little Canadian mugwumps.
No, don't even do that outside if possible - and definitely on premises - see the awkwardly-worded 'picnicking' brochure at LCBO stores which implies and dances around yet never explains how you can 'picnic' (with alcohol) in your own backyard. What a freewheeling adventure! If you even have a yard... gee thanks for that. Let's pack the basket and go outside.

^ Sorry I just think that's funny. Seriously, go to Europe and get drunk in a public park on good, affordable liquor sometime. It's liberating.
You don't even have to go to Europe. Everyone in Quebec does it without a problem. But not here in Ontario where drinking outside is destroying the moral fabric of society and must be crushed.
Beer, not just for breakfast anymore.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

MetalHead wrote: You don't even have to go to Europe. Everyone in Quebec does it without a problem. But not here in Ontario where drinking outside is destroying the moral fabric of society and must be crushed.
Montreal is definitely more lax, but Toronto is not quite as rigid as you are making it out to be. Head to Trinity Bellwoods on a sunny weekend afternoon and look around. LOTS of people drinking beer/wine without making a serious effort to hide it. It's a stupid law but not quite as heavily enforced as sometimes suggested.
Ren

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

MetalHead wrote:
Belgian wrote: I think they go for six or eight bucks, retail- and bars often the same menu price, since there they can buy them wholesale. Meanwhile * here * there's such a wild price difference which must be Ontario's way of saying STAY HOME AND DRINK like good little Canadian mugwumps.

You don't even have to go to Europe. Everyone in Quebec does it without a problem. But not here in Ontario where drinking outside is destroying the moral fabric of society and must be crushed.
great rant, Belgian. it is so true.

the one change that blew my mind: when i was at Field Trip, i noticed alcohol everywhere. no more fences. no more separating kids from adults. a dad carried his infant and had a beer. giant wheelbarrows were being pushed around to sell Amsterdam beer to concertgoers. the beer tent concept was killed a year ago and to see it in action is almost - dare i say? - modern?

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

atomeyes wrote:
MetalHead wrote:
Belgian wrote:
great rant, Belgian. it is so true.

the one change that blew my mind: when i was at Field Trip, i noticed alcohol everywhere. no more fences. no more separating kids from adults. a dad carried his infant and had a beer. giant wheelbarrows were being pushed around to sell Amsterdam beer to concertgoers. the beer tent concept was killed a year ago and to see it in action is almost - dare i say? - modern?
Field Trip was great.. and I'd like to point out that there was no drunk people causing mayhem even with the large amounts of beer I saw being consumed.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Field Trip was the best run/organized festival I've ever been at...from the music, to TUM curating all of the food, to the kids section, to the artist collaborations, and, yes, the beer. It was one of the most fun days I've had in a long time.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Gavin wrote:Field Trip was the best run/organized festival I've ever been at...from the music, to TUM curating all of the food, to the kids section, to the artist collaborations, and, yes, the beer. It was one of the most fun days I've had in a long time.
Yep. I missed out on the Field TrIPA, but it was by far the best event I've been to. And Fort York is a great venue...

Normally I'm pretty critical of A and C's events...often disorganized and scattered...(kind of like one particular BSS member...) but it was fantastic.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Gavin wrote:Field Trip was the best run/organized festival I've ever been at...from the music, to TUM curating all of the food, to the kids section, to the artist collaborations, and, yes, the beer. It was one of the most fun days I've had in a long time.
i was involved on the food side. TUM was incredibly organized and the food was absolutely killer. butter chicken waffles at a food festival? hells yes.

and no visible drunken jocks. only a few dudes with their shirts off.

it also was neat that Amsterdam was giving out free samples of Fracture

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

When we were emptying out, the "Hand Pie" people had three butter chicken pies left and I snagged one, sooo good.

Also, I think La Carnita might be better than Grand Electric - there I said it.

Speaking of, "there I said its" - while there were so many good sets (Timber Timbre, Stars, BSS, of course) I thought Feist's was long and boring. And I love Feist's records. As my wife said, "She's trying to be like Bjork, but she doesn't have any good ideas - She's bjoring" - there I said it.

Sorry to get this thread off track.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

this stuff is going fast.. over 400 bottles sold at one location in just a few days

TORONTO-CENTRAL 10 SCRIVENER SQUARE down to 147
spinrsx wrote:looks like there is more than enough of this stuff to go around.. some of the stock levels are staggering

1. PICKERING 1899 BROCK RD UNIT K3 697 Units
2. TORONTO-CENTRAL 10 SCRIVENER SQUARE 567 Units
TheBeeraholic wrote:
vandutchy wrote: I thought it was a mistake as well so bought a bunch.

My work and I have been buying 10-15 cases of various beers from Espirit every six months or so. Pricing on the rocheforts below.

ROCHEFORT 6 $4.85
ROCHEFORT 8 $5.95
ROCHEFORT 10 $6.10

Quite the savings. Kind of pisses me off at the same time though after spending so much before. I just hope the Rochefort 10 makes it the LCBO for $2.55 or a simlar price.