Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JProulx

Post by JProulx »

Blasphomet wrote:LOOOOOOL!

"Uhhhh, we couldn't sell most of our below average, extremely overpriced 'imperial' stout' last year in Ontario because people finally caught on to the fact that it is below average and overpriced, so we're just going to say it's 'cellar aged' to make it sound like it was in the basement of our brewery when really it's just been sitting in the backs of stores and at the headquarters and shit.".

"Oh, and on top of that, we've also decided to jack the price yet another dollar this year".

Wasn't this stuff like $8.95 just two or three years ago?

If they don't at least re-package this shit absolutely beautifully, and is literally just the same bottles from last year, it will be Pure LOLocaust! But even if so... I hate paying for packaging, like I thought we were doing with their swing-top bottles... until they corked them and still molested us with their seasonal prices for 'meh' beers.

If it wasn't for Mad and Twice as Mad, I'd tell Muskoka to just fuck off completely.

To be fair, their Summer Weiss is pretty solid as well. Let's not downplay these guys unfairly.

Mr.X

Post by Mr.X »

While we're all complaining does anyone understand why this is so expensive?

NIAGARA OAST HOUSE BREWERS SAISON
LCBO 359877 | 750 mL bottle
Price $ 11.20

To be fair I've never had this beer so I don't know if this is a straight up Saison (ala Dupont) or if it's something more funky but $11.20 for 750ml of Saison seems pretty steep to me. Dupont currently costs $7.45 for the same amount.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Mr.X wrote:While we're all complaining does anyone understand why this is so expensive?

Price $ 11.20

To be fair I've never had this beer so I don't know if this is a straight up Saison (ala Dupont) or if it's something more funky but $11.20 for 750ml of Saison seems pretty steep to me. Dupont currently costs $7.45 for the same amount.
Again, pricing is out of control. Small brewers, big orders, small grain/hop contracts, new equipment, big investments, too much marketing, they will sell at that price, small workforce, shipping, risk... whatever. It's too rich for my blood.

I've always found Oast House's Saison to be a little sweet, like fresh mashed barley (lots of grain character), and not as dry (or funky) as I like the style. I'd never turn one down, but as far as saisons go, it's nothing with a really refined character to be a good value at that price. That price for a 6 pack? Hell yes. 4 pack? Maybe, yah, probably yah. Almost $15/L? No sir.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

"Uhhhh, we couldn't sell most of our below average, extremely overpriced 'imperial' stout' last year in Ontario because people finally caught on to the fact that it is below average and overpriced, so we're just going to say it's 'cellar aged' to make it sound like it was in the basement of our brewery when really it's just been sitting in the backs of stores and at the headquarters and shit.".

"Oh, and on top of that, we've also decided to jack the price yet another dollar this year".

Wasn't this stuff like $8.95 just two or three years ago?

If they don't at least re-package this shit absolutely beautifully, and is literally just the same bottles from last year, it will be Pure LOLocaust! But even if so... I hate paying for packaging, like I thought we were doing with their swing-top bottles... until they corked them and still molested us with their seasonal prices for 'meh' beers.

If it wasn't for Mad and Twice as Mad, I'd tell Muskoka to just fuck off completely.
Wow - that's pretty sad.

I'm sitting here stuck with an empty keg from Muskoka because they no longer do retail keg sales in the city and don't seem capable of finding a way of getting my keg from me without me driving 2 hrs to cottage country. Guess that's $50 down the drain :(

Muskoka had a great run but it looks like they are starting to slip badly.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

groulxsome wrote: Also, the swingtops were/are great for homebrew and I miss them.
That's how I justified buying those beers. I still did get a couple Harvest Ales this fall, but I used to buy a lot more than that, plus all the other seasonals too.

All I buy now from Muskoka is cans of Mad Tom, even that has been reduced since I prefer Headstock, and its slightly cheaper.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

matt7215 wrote:
Droogy wrote:What is Muskoka doing with it this year? Hearing reports that the 'BO has 2012 bottles?! Did they make a '13?

Are they switching to releasing it as an aged product or did they simply have too much left over?

Anyone shed some light?

It's always been a bit pricey but have enjoyed it...
Greg has your answers:
http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2013/11 ... -editions/
Funny, I checked there right after I posted....I agree this makes no sense!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

(13.95 - 2012 Muskoka Cranberry Non-imperial Chocolate Stout in a box, with a kiss on the cheek afterwards...)

While I appreciate Blastcomment's usual candor, I think Muskoka are far from bad in their intentions - they, and Lake Of Bays with their Porter, just don't yet know how to price the good things they sell.

Hawking what is essentially an old bottle of Rogue Chocolate Stout for twice the cost is silly. And trendy!! I've started to just ignore anything Ontario-made in a lot of fuss and packaging, and I really do wish 'em luck.

We have some killer beers in Ontario, though so chin up. Maybe Black Oak Chocolate Cherry Stout will appear in well-priced bombers and put many others to shame.
In Beerum Veritas

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Mr.X wrote:While we're all complaining does anyone understand why this is so expensive?

Price $ 11.20

lmao

no way they're getting my business at that price. spot on with the dupont comparison, who the hell do these guys think they are? i've yet to have a beer from them that was any better than a 'meh'

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

+1 Liam, what were they thinking?

They must think they are Fantome, to answer your question. And in our province, who's to say they are not. (<Rhetorical question.) You think there even hope for a Hills Farmstead-level saison brewery in Ontarrio? Paying a bit more for incredibly well-made stuff doesn't seem to hurt nearly so bad...
In Beerum Veritas

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Belgian wrote:You think there even hope for a Hills Farmstead-level saison brewery in Ontario? Paying a bit more for incredibly well-made stuff doesn't seem to hurt nearly so bad...
If they were on their way to being Hill Farmstead-level, they might have attracted substantial more hype from their tap offerings and to their brewery. Last I checked, there wasn't a line up at Oast House unless a wine tour bus had just parked at Stratus.

Not to say they not a great brewery - I like their beer - but from the 5-6 offerings I've had from them, the quality does not seem to be trending to a world class farmhouse brewery (I've yet to see bugs used in their saisons, for example, and the Berliner I had from them tasted sadly unfinished).

I would consider, for example, paying the asking price for a Bellwoods saison with brett (or spices like Blitzen... wait, how much did I pay for Blitzen?) because I know those to be "incredibly well-made." I would not and I do not see Oast House trending that direction. I hope I'm wrong and, again, I do enjoy their beers, I just haven't found their beers incredible (or tending towards "incredibly well-made") enough to lineup to that price point.

nickw

Post by nickw »

So, the obvious next question arising from the past page or so: who exactly is buying these overpriced beers?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^^ Groulx agree with your thoughts, esp Bellwoods, good discussion. I of course meant is there *any* brewer with Hills Farmstead type potential for great Saisons, not seriously asking about Oast House which I've not tried.

^And Nick, it ain't me buying them. I too go our of my way for a nice Bellwoods one-off (as with the equally fine regulars)... but that's a much different thing than just glorified bland wheat ale in a fancy pricey bottle called a "Berliner" or "Gose" or "Saison." We're already far too sophisticated a beer market to buy into that hype at wine-bottle prices, in my view. Which perhaps means best will succeed.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new to the lcbo

BIG ROCK SAAZ REPUBLIC PILZ +
LCBO 360024 | 473 mL can

Price $ 2.80

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

nickw wrote:So, the obvious next question arising from the past page or so: who exactly is buying these overpriced beers?

The same yuppies that buy overpriced Beau`s and Muskoka beers. Paying for the bottle because it is nice to have a centerpiece on the table.

Personally, I`ve always enjoyed paying for what is in the bottle but sometimes they just dont allow it if you know what I mean.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

orval is listed now:

ORVAL TRAPPIST ALE
LCBO 439992 | 330 mL bottle
Price $ 3.60

as is this:

SUNTURN BREW
LCBO 343939 | 500 mL bottle
Price $ 7.70

and this