Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

spinrsx wrote: new at TBS: Cameron's Rye Pale Ale - Quantity: 6 x 341 ml bottle
I'm more than happy to pay $13.80 a sixer for this. Basically the same price as Centennial IPA and comparable in quality IMO. Good on Cameron's!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

cratez wrote:
I'm more than happy to pay $13.80 a sixer for this. Basically the same price as Centennial IPA and comparable in quality IMO. Good on Cameron's!
It's at the LCBO too:

CAMERON'S RYE PALE ALE 6-B
LCBO 371211 | 6x341 mL bottle

Price $ 13.80

Made in: Ontario, Canada
By: Cameron'S Brewing Co.

Beer
6.6% Alcohol/Vol.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

cratez wrote:
Also, check this math-a-magic:

Cameron's RPA Bomber: $5.95 per 650 mL -> $9.15/L

Cameron's RPA 6-pack: $13.80 per ( 6 x 341 mL) -> $6.74/L

25% of $9.15 is $2.29. $9.15 subtract $2.29 is $6.86. In short, a savings of around (just a little more than) 25% from the old price. 25% is a lot extra to pay for a bomber, no?

heebes

Post by heebes »

Remember when it was 16 bucks a six pack brewery only? Talk about a change...I wonder if its a recipie change using less pricey ingrediants or just typical marketplace pricing?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

heebes wrote:Remember when it was 16 bucks a six pack brewery only? Talk about a change...I wonder if its a recipie change using less pricey ingrediants or just typical marketplace pricing?
My guess would be economy of scale. Full capacity vs pilot/small system.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

groulxsome wrote:25% of $9.15 is $2.29. $9.15 subtract $2.29 is $6.86. In short, a savings of around (just a little more than) 25% from the old price. 25% is a lot extra to pay for a bomber, no?
Not if you can taste the additional Table Presence. Developing a taste for a beer's Table Presence is encouraged, and I believe the LCBO now offers courses for honing this special skill, just for appreciating Ontario bombers and 750mls.

Sorry couldn't resist fanning the flames. ;)
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Either way, good deal...I'm looking forward to paying that price for a six pack!
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Belgian wrote:
groulxsome wrote:25% of $9.15 is $2.29. $9.15 subtract $2.29 is $6.86. In short, a savings of around (just a little more than) 25% from the old price. 25% is a lot extra to pay for a bomber, no?
Not if you can taste the additional Table Presence. Developing a taste for a beer's Table Presence is encouraged, and I believe the LCBO now offers courses for honing this special skill, just for appreciating Ontario bombers and 750mls.

Sorry couldn't resist fanning the flames. ;)
Next year all bombers will be packaged in those little wicker baskets that Cantillon is sometimes served in. They will be an additional $2 and be mandatory. It's for our own good.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Now showing stock

100 MILE ALE
LCBO 372227 | 473 mL can
Price $ 2.95
By: Duggan'S Brewery
Beer, Ale, American Pale Ale
5.4% Alcohol/Vol.

100 MILE LAGER
LCBO 372037 | 473 mL can
Price $ 2.95
Beer, Lager, North American Lager
5.0% Alcohol/Vol.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

S. St. Jeb wrote: 100 MILE ALE
LCBO 372227 | 473 mL can
Price $ 2.95
Beer, Ale, American Pale Ale
5.4% Alcohol/Vol.
The name sure doesn't excite but I'm looking forward to trying this one.
Belgian wrote: Not if you can taste the additional Table Presence. Developing a taste for a beer's Table Presence is encouraged, and I believe the LCBO now offers courses for honing this special skill, just for appreciating Ontario bombers and 750mls.
LMAO!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

groulxsome wrote:
cratez wrote:
Also, check this math-a-magic:

Cameron's RPA Bomber: $5.95 per 650 mL -> $9.15/L

Cameron's RPA 6-pack: $13.80 per ( 6 x 341 mL) -> $6.74/L

25% of $9.15 is $2.29. $9.15 subtract $2.29 is $6.86. In short, a savings of around (just a little more than) 25% from the old price. 25% is a lot extra to pay for a bomber, no?
Interesting that their tag line is 'brewed by a connoisseur, not an accountant'...

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Not sure if it has been posted here yet (softly curses search function), but did find a batch of the Historic Ales from Scotland packs @ Summerhill had Kelpie in them. Same product # as the regular pack, but the regular mix was in a grey box whilst the one with Kelpie is in the trad brown box.

Been looking for that one for over a decade now... :D

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

skaghevn wrote:Not sure if it has been posted here yet (softly curses search function), but did find a batch of the Historic Ales from Scotland packs @ Summerhill had Kelpie in them. Same product # as the regular pack, but the regular mix was in a grey box whilst the one with Kelpie is in the trad brown box.

Been looking for that one for over a decade now... :D
Shame that both sets have the same product #.

The Erin Mills Mississauga LCBO only had the non-Kelpie set.

I wish there was an easy way to tell which stores had the Kelpie one.
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Droogy wrote: Interesting that their tag line is 'brewed by a connoisseur, not an accountant'...
Ultimately they've decided to sell this in a more affordable format, so I don't think they deserve to be slagged.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

cratez wrote:
Droogy wrote: Interesting that their tag line is 'brewed by a connoisseur, not an accountant'...
Ultimately they've decided to sell this in a more affordable format, so I don't think they deserve to be slagged.
Also, the problem is the endemic over-pricing of the format, not one brewery in particular. I could see it being hard to buck the trend. It could also lend credence to their tag line, since I'd imagine a connoisseur to just look at what the format goes for and sell them for that. Which seems to be the case here: just matching whatever a given format is generally listed for.