Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

FEUO wrote:
Ceecee wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote: There's nothing cautious about $10 a bottle.
Bingo.
Don't get it. :roll:
Bottle is $10. So what. They have made some solid beers in the past and I want to continue to support Ontario craft provided its a good product.
Maybe I could have phrased it better.
I am going to be cautiously optimistic when buying as 1) I like the style, 2) I like Beau's stuff, just been disappointed recently.

I've wasted a lot more money on a lot worse beers.
as I've said in many threads, I am a BIG supporter of Beau's. I don't love every beer they make but they always have interesting ideas and styles, their marketing is the best in Ontario, and they're fantastic people from top to bottom. but $10 a bottle is out of my price range. if I happened to scrounge together $40 to try these, I would not call my purchase "cautious", I would call it diving in head first. hence my initial comment.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
FEUO wrote:
Ceecee wrote: Bingo.
Don't get it. :roll:
Bottle is $10. So what. They have made some solid beers in the past and I want to continue to support Ontario craft provided its a good product.
Maybe I could have phrased it better.
I am going to be cautiously optimistic when buying as 1) I like the style, 2) I like Beau's stuff, just been disappointed recently.

I've wasted a lot more money on a lot worse beers.
as I've said in many threads, I am a BIG supporter of Beau's. I don't love every beer they make but they always have interesting ideas and styles, their marketing is the best in Ontario, and they're fantastic people from top to bottom. but $10 a bottle is out of my price range. if I happened to scrounge together $40 to try these, I would not call my purchase "cautious", I would call it diving in head first. hence my initial comment.
I don't read every thread so I have no idea where you stand with them.
And at no point did I mention dropping $40. There are TWO (wheat wine, and old ale) that interest me. Very few saisons on the planet are worth $10 of my money.
And other folks deeming what is not "cautious" to me is laughable.

Try buying Bruery beers at $18-20 US a pop. Or Crooked Stave at $9 for a 375 for brett saisons. NOW that is not cautious. ;)

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

FEUO wrote: Try buying Bruery beers at $18-20 US a pop. Or Crooked Stave at $9 for a 375 for brett saisons. NOW that is not cautious. ;)
How about a bottle of Grey Monday for over $40?

Back to Beau's - I am one of the many around here who have all but given up on them. That being said, this discussion seems to have become really focused on the cost of the bottles. Beau's certainly isn't alone on that front (in Ontario). Lake of Bays is probably the worst value beer out there (with even lower beer quality than Beau's across the board). Oast House has INSANE prices what they are offering. Even some Black Oak prices seem high when you look at what you are actually getting. I'm sure that you guys could throw out another 10 examples with ease.

Beau's is just easy to pick on because the quality is lacking (in the opinion of many around here).

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
FEUO wrote: Try buying Bruery beers at $18-20 US a pop. Or Crooked Stave at $9 for a 375 for brett saisons. NOW that is not cautious. ;)
How about a bottle of Grey Monday for over $40?

Back to Beau's - I am one of the many around here who have all but given up on them. That being said, this discussion seems to have become really focused on the cost of the bottles. Beau's certainly isn't alone on that front (in Ontario). Lake of Bays is probably the worst value beer out there (with even lower beer quality than Beau's across the board). Oast House has INSANE prices what they are offering. Even some Black Oak prices seem high when you look at what you are actually getting. I'm sure that you guys could throw out another 10 examples with ease.

Beau's is just easy to pick on because the quality is lacking (in the opinion of many around here).
GM for $40? Urd, no thanks.
But I paid $30 for Bois so whos the dumbass now. ;) But being a style that I like I was happy to pay it.

Back to Beau's, yes....
Hard to say if quality is lacking, as thats more factual and objective. Are beers infected? Or are we saying that a poor or boring execution of a particular style is the same as lacking in quality?
I know the quality of label application is not great, but the labels do look awesome.
I think many of the recent stuff has been lackluster in terms of flavor and too boring to justify the cost. So I agree with value being an issue.
HOWEVER, they have proven to make some great stuff (see: Bogfather) are are turning out interesting concepts regularly. Have to respect that.

Can anyone provide any answers as to WHY things/beers/flavors have not been appreciated by the public as of late?

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
i had their black lager a few weeks ago. couldn't finish the sample glass. another "what were they thinking?" beer.
FEUO wrote:
Can anyone provide any answers as to WHY things/beers/flavors have not been appreciated by the public as of late?
everything i've had from them tastes like it is made with swampwater.
Boom Gose the Dynamite? couldn't finish a pint. last 1/3 was nasty.
Black lager? not sure what they were thinking or trying to do.

as a rule, i don't try most of what Beau's makes. love the labels, don't love most of their styles or have not liked their execution.

it's like watching MIley Cyrus. you can see someone trying too hard to get noticed. same with Beau's. Try not being so zany with your new releases. don't release a gose and have a bag of salt attached to the bottle. that's just silly. almost like they didn't know how to perfect their beer themselves (or that's how it comes across).

nickw

Post by nickw »

Are you talking about Beau's Dark Helmut schwarzbier? Funny, that was one of theirs in recent years that I quite liked the most and I don't seem to be alone in that. Different strokes, perhaps.

I'm not jumping up and down for this release, and find that $10 is a bit much to pay for a less-than established beer, but if the reviews come in that say that one or two of these (especially the old ale and wheat wine) are overwhelmingly exceeding expectations, I'll happily buy a bottle and enjoy it with as little prejudice as I can.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

nickw wrote:Are you talking about Beau's Dark Helmut schwarzbier? Funny, that was one of theirs in recent years that I quite liked the most and I don't seem to be alone in that. Different strokes, perhaps.

I'm not jumping up and down for this release, and find that $10 is a bit much to pay for a less-than established beer, but if the reviews come in that say that one or two of these (especially the old ale and wheat wine) are overwhelmingly exceeding expectations, I'll happily buy a bottle and enjoy it with as little prejudice as I can.
I can vouch for both of you guys on this. Had it on draught at BarHop a couple years ago, and thought it was solid. Had it out of the bottle at some point last year and it was ridden with DMS, rendering wholly undrinkable.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: as I've said in many threads, I am a BIG supporter of Beau's. I don't love every beer they make but they always have interesting ideas and styles, their marketing is the best in Ontario, and they're fantastic people from top to bottom. but $10 a bottle is out of my price range. if I happened to scrounge together $40 to try these, I would not call my purchase "cautious", I would call it diving in head first. hence my initial comment.
That's sort of where I am at too. I mean I liked a lot of Beau's stuff, but to me $10 for 600ml of something is pretty steep, and once I get over a certain price point my expectations get super high. I mean I am sure the beers will be good, but if I got one I am sure in the back of my head I would be thinking "is this really twice as good as a $5 600ml beer?".

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Kel Varnsen wrote:...I mean I liked a lot of Beau's stuff, but to me $10 for 600ml of something is pretty steep... I am sure the beers will be good, but if I got one I am sure in the back of my head I would be thinking "is this really twice as good as a $5 600ml beer?".
In some cases there are beers at least twice as good for half the volume cost.

The un-flashy price does not sell them as hard. Even the fact that we're griping about Beau's prices makes them a marketing success.
In Beerum Veritas

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

All showing stock now -
ECBS wrote:Listed, no stock yet:

BEAU'S ASHANAN WHEAT WINE
LCBO 378786 | 600 mL bottle
Price: $ 9.85

BEAU'S GILGAMESH OLD ALE
LCBO 378778 | 600 mL bottle

BEAU'S SARGON
LCBO 378802 | 600 mL bottle

BEAU'S SIDURI WHITE PEPPER SAISON
LCBO 378794 | 600 mL bottle

LIEFMANS CUVEE BRUT
LCBO 362665 | 375 mL bottle
Price: $ 5.95

One of these things,
is not like the others...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

St Feuillien Saison and Abbaye des Rocs La Montagnarde Ambree showing stock too

as is this

BLACK CREEK IRISH POTATO STOUT
Canada | Black Creek Historic Brewery
LCBO 379271 | 500 mL | $ 3.95

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

spinrsx wrote:BLACK CREEK IRISH POTATO STOUT

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

liamt07 wrote:
What Shatner says!

Does Black Creek use the Trafalgar facilities at all? I may pick a bottle up but won't if it has a whiff of Trafalgar on it...
lister

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

As far as I know they still use Trafalgar for production brews, don't buy a lot of the Black Creek stuff, but I have never had the infection issues with their line that the Trafalgar products show. Some uninspired, muddled products to be sure, but no gushers or unintentional sours
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole