Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

That makes more sense. Nice work, LCBO web site!

Bar_Hop

Post by Bar_Hop »

PeenSteen wrote:The brewery listed is Sweetgrass....I'm assuming they brew out of Cool. Recipe was made with the brewmaster from Sawdust City
It was brewed at Muskoka and yeah, Sam Corbeil of Sawdust City was the brewer/recipe designer with input from the bars.

In my opinion this beer turned out really, really good- all credit to Sam.

Matt

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

There is no reason at all in the world that this Session Saison should be this convoluted.

Brewed one place by the brewer from another and then the credit for packaging is given to a brewery that doesn't have a facility and didn't brew the beer. This is the kind of dumb, easily avoidable decision that ruins people's confidence.
saintjohnswort.ca

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

saints_gambit wrote:There is no reason at all in the world that this Session Saison should be this convoluted.

Brewed one place by the brewer from another and then the credit for packaging is given to a brewery that doesn't have a facility and didn't brew the beer. This is the kind of dumb, easily avoidable decision that ruins people's confidence.
you forgot that the word "session" is in its name, when it isn't a session beer (6%??)

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I thought session was more a reference to the "Session" event in June.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Yup. For the 2 Session events, in collaboration with several brewers and many of TO's beer bars, as already stated. So that explains why it's "convoluted". It's pretty obvious that the breweries and brewers involved are pretty genuine about making good beer, so why would anyone's confidence be ruined in the first place?

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

boney wrote:Yup. For the 2 Session events, in collaboration with several brewers and many of TO's beer bars, as already stated. So that explains why it's "convoluted". It's pretty obvious that the breweries and brewers involved are pretty genuine about making good beer, so why would anyone's confidence be ruined in the first place?
The lack of transparency. We complain about "crafty" beers because the labels are misleading. Why should we root for the small guys if their labels are also going to be misleading?
saintjohnswort.ca

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

saints_gambit wrote:
boney wrote:Yup. For the 2 Session events, in collaboration with several brewers and many of TO's beer bars, as already stated. So that explains why it's "convoluted". It's pretty obvious that the breweries and brewers involved are pretty genuine about making good beer, so why would anyone's confidence be ruined in the first place?
The lack of transparency. We complain about "crafty" beers because the labels are misleading. Why should we root for the small guys if their labels are also going to be misleading?
because we should be more educated? if we're going to let a label or the brands marketing choose the beer we are going to drink then forget it... craft beer will never beat out the big boys.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

It's convoluted in the sense that it's difficult to figure out who brewed it and where. It isn't really a collaboration, but rather a mess of breweries and brewers involved. The "identity" of the beer is difficult to figure out, which is often our complaint about Crafty beers.

I'm willing to bet it's a good beer, and I'd like to try it, but the "language" of where the beer came from is quite confusing.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Wow. Tough crowd. I understand your points but I think you guys are being a little hard on the beer and the people involved.

Given that Sam Corbeil and others involved did a lot of media explaining most of the aspects of the collab, I don't think it was an intentional lack of transparency. I don't think integrity is an issue either, but I know different people have different thresholds. As far as supporting the little guy and defeating big macro/fighting "craftiness" etc., thats an ideological question with many layers of context. I don't think one specific beer epitomizes the argument or has that much significance. I do understand that all the individual beers and projects do form a body that can be debated, but It's a super complex issue, so I'm not going to come down on one fun project that had good intentions.

Eli

Post by Eli »

Didn't see this mentioned before, Wag the Wolf Hefe and Matt Sleepy Time Belgian Stout from Beau's are on the shelf at King & Dufferin in Toronto but they are not appearing in the website yet.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

sooo many beau's beers at the lcbo

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

That there are. I try to keep an open mind about Beau's and not dislike them on principle, like some, but Gilgamesh Old Ale (which I just tried) really missed the mark for me, especially at that price. Expected more.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

They're gong to have to pull a Muskoka and bring everything off the shelf and re-release next year call it vintage and mark it up another dollar or two.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Those are two of my Beau's favourites. The price is kind of a problem, however...