Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

distr0

Post by distr0 »

spinrsx wrote: UBER BERLINER STYLE WEISSE
LCBO 386466 | 750 mL bottle
Price $ 7.95
is this different from their regular berliner?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

distr0 wrote:
spinrsx wrote: UBER BERLINER STYLE WEISSE
LCBO 386466 | 750 mL bottle
Price $ 7.95
is this different from their regular berliner?
Same beer as Green Light, just a new name.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Any sighting of Shoulders of Giants anywhere other other King&Spadina yet?

http://drinkvine.com/drinkdetail.php?pr ... 8&type=ont

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I saw some at Front and Sherborne yesterday, but they looked like they weren't full enough. I was nervous of the amount of air so I didn't bother picking any up.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

groulxsome wrote:Also!

AVENTINUS ICE BOCK
LCBO 58875 | 500 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
Price $ 5.60
What's with this shitty rollout?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Lukie wrote:
groulxsome wrote:Also!

AVENTINUS ICE BOCK
LCBO 58875 | 500 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
Price $ 5.60
What's with this shitty rollout?
Best rollout ever if you live in Pickering. That one store always has like 100 bottles and everywhere else combined has like 10.

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

Wasn't this 3.50$ a bottle last year?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

cattersley wrote:Wasn't this 3.50$ a bottle last year?
It hasn't been listed for a few years IIRC, the Weizenbock was available, not the Eisbock
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

icemachine wrote:
cattersley wrote:Wasn't this 3.50$ a bottle last year?
It hasn't been listed for a few years IIRC, the Weizenbock was available, not the Eisbock
I remember it about 3 years ago. I'm pretty sure the price was below $5 back then....anyways, this is one of the more bizarre roll outs. They release about a hundred to a single store in Pickering, only about a dozen for the entire GTA, while sitting on thousands of bottles for almost a month now.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

are they aging them for us?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Lukie wrote:Wicked to have the almighty Eisbock back. This was my first Schneider brew and I instantly loved it. But i will slightly balk at this $5.60 price I will now be paying. Its by no means exorbitant, but I've come to think of the mellower Aventinus and the Hopfenweisse as great bargain beers that I can now enjoy on a regular basis. The quality, format and price of these just hits that sweet spot for me. This one is $2 more than those. Now the BO does have a good record when it comes to import beer prices, but does anyone remember the price on the last time this was here about 3 years ago?
It was $3.95, same price in 2007 as the Ayinger Brau-Weisse in 2014.

Here's my geek notes from 2007, and why I think it is still well-priced.
Der Belgianer wrote:Unlike Trappist ales, the Eis-Weizenbock does not rely on the addition of spices, sugars or non-malt 'adjunct' grains. It is all in the yeast and craftsmanship.

It has all the stength, warmth, fullness or aroma, and persistence of flavour as Chimay Bleue and perhaps even seemed better in some aspects - more rounded-out fuller and smoother the way Achel Extra is.

It's all different though - It still has the signature 'tang' of good cleanly-brewed German wheat beers, making it very original. I wish the German Monastic breweries would get in on making this style!

The aroma from the empty glass stays in the room for a long time. It is great warm or chilled, and so could be enjoyed much in the way people drink dessert wines such as Muscat, Tokaji, Sauternes or Eiswein at many times the cost. Try it "Vin Santo" / Tuscany style, warm with some biscotti after a meal & see what you think.
In Beerum Veritas

sianspheric

Post by sianspheric »

So are those St Bernardus Wit's ever going to arrive?

:(

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

sianspheric wrote:So are those St Bernardus Wit's ever going to arrive?

:(
Who knows?

What about the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Apparently the date on Shoulder of Giants is May 6th bottling. 2 months to market after bottling date on a DIPA is unacceptable...

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

ercousin wrote:Apparently the date on Shoulder of Giants is May 6th bottling. 2 months to market after bottling date on a DIPA is unacceptable...
in any other retail model you would be correct but with only one retail option shit like this happens