Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Philip1 wrote:Is Dupont Cervesia or Saison Dupont available anywhere? I've been trying to use the new search engine at the LCBO website but it said these beers are unavailable in Brampton, Guelph, or Orangeville. So I tried Toronto and again none available. That seems unlikely unless they've all sold out.
Cervesia was just a one-off hit, so you're not likely to see it again. From what I hear, the next shipment of Saison Dupont is going to be arriving soon, so it's possible they're out at the moment.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

Cervesia was just a one-off hit, so you're not likely to see it again. From what I hear, the next shipment of Saison Dupont is going to be arriving soon, so it's possible they're out at the moment.
Do you mean Dupont only made cervesia once? Or that the LCBO only imported it once? I'm truly hoping it's not a one-time only brew!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cadbury102 wrote:
Do you mean Dupont only made cervesia once? Or that the LCBO only imported it once? I'm truly hoping it's not a one-time only brew!
Only imported once.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I can guarantee you that there's none in Guelph, i've been looking for the Saison each time I go into any one of the 4 stores. Luckily enough I have 2 saisons and one cervasia in the cellar.

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

Night Marzen is back for the fall at the LCBO. I've got the press release here: http://www.torontobeerblog.com/beer-new ... urns-lcbo/

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

chris_schryer wrote:Night Marzen is back for the fall at the LCBO. I've got the press release here: http://www.torontobeerblog.com/beer-new ... urns-lcbo/
Instant pass.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

^^^^^ +1

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

BEAUS OCTOBERFEST
Canada | Beau'S All Natural Brewing
LCBO 399089 | 4x600 mL | $ 24.00

from beaus webpage:

The 4-pack features the following beers: Dark Helmüt, Happy Pilsner, Rauchstack, and Dial "Z" for Zwickel.

1) Happy Pilsner
Bohemian Pilsner • 5.3% alc/vol
The Bohemian pilsner is a staple of the German diet, and we're happy to include one for you in the 2014 Beau’s Oktoberfest mix pack! Pale blond in colour, Happy Pilsner’s light floral, herbal and honey aromas take your senses on a trip to their happy place: the ever-enjoyable taste of a crisp, clean traditional lager. Traditional to the style, the flavour has some yeast-derived soft sulfur notes. The hopping provides medium bitterness that balances the malt profile without harshness.

2) Dark Helmüt
Imperious Schwarzbier • 7.3% alc/vol
Dark Helmüt is an extra-strong version of a German black lager. It displays a mellow roasted character that is juxtaposed with the enjoyable lager crispness. Malty, bready notes (think pumpernickel without caraway) provide the backdrop to this clean, crisp beer. Dark Helmüt has refined mocha inflections and a surprisingly subtle roasted flavour for a beer as dark as the furthest reaches of the galaxy. Malt depth maintains a pleasant balance and keeps the bigger alcohol presence nicely integrated.

3) Rauchstack
Smoked Dunkel • 6.9% alc/vol
Rauchstack is a smooth, full-bodied smoked ale. The distinctive smoky character, courtesy of wood-fire kilned malts in the recipe, is balanced by rich, malty sweetness. The body is luscious and the flavour echoes the smoky scent, giving the sense of a beer that could almost be a meal. Our friend Thomas at Weyermann Malts in Bamberg, Germany, custom-designed the malt profile for this recipe (over breakfast no less!), and we brewed it in tribute to our close ties with them.

4) Dial "Z" for Zwickel
Zwickelbier • 5.7% alc/vol
Dial “Z” for Zwickel is a rare new creation from the Beau’s brew team, a hazy copper-coloured lager called a zwickelbier – a beer so über-fresh, it tastes like you walked right up to our tanks and poured it yourself. The flavour and aroma are ripe with bready, yeasty goodness and fresh grassy notes, and a finely balanced hop presence. Zwickelbiers are seriously not meant for aging, and best served… right now!

sooo, $6 for a bottle of beaus pilsner..

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Or 24 bucks for the Dark Helmut and you get the other three for free. ;)

Actually that makes it seem worse
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Total rookie beer. The only beer worth drinking for the price is Lug Tread, and I won't even buy that anymore as it only supports the continuous brewing and LCBO inundation of mediocre to bad, and overpriced Beau's beer.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

spinrsx wrote: sooo, $6 for a bottle of beaus pilsner..
Without commenting on quality, a bottle of Karma Citra is about the same price for basically the same size so it doesn't seem that far out of line with what else is available from Ontario breweries. And I imagine that a bottle of an IPA can be produced and shipped from a brewery a lot faster than a bottle of pilsner.

That said if they hadn't put the smoked beer in this thing I probably would have checked it out. But I can't stand those smoked beers.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Blasphomet wrote:Total rookie beer. The only beer worth drinking for the price is Lug Tread, and I won't even buy that anymore as it only supports the continuous brewing and LCBO inundation of mediocre to bad, and overpriced Beau's beer.
Not sure if you're trolling with the Lug Tread comment or what, easily one of the worst Kolsch's I've had

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Total rookie beer. The only beer worth drinking for the price is Lug Tread, and I won't even buy that anymore as it only supports the continuous brewing and LCBO inundation of mediocre to bad, and overpriced Beau's beer.
Not sure if you're trolling with the Lug Tread comment or what, easily one of the worst Kolsch's I've had
There seems to be a large group of beer drinkers in Ontario that loves Lug Tread and all I can attribute it to is that many bars with Lug Tread are places where the other choices are Bud Light, Canadian, etc.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I'm actually a fan of Lug Tread. I get the talk about the majority of the 7.85 beers and echo it somewhat.

I've been to Köln, multiple times and have had proper Kölsch in the Gaffel bierhaus, Reissdorf, Früh, etc. When I come home, I try to get some Lug because I have the proper Kölsch flavouring on my palate. I'd argue that Lug is right there with the Köln breweries.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Lugtread was a perfect gateway beer for me. It seemed like overnight it was in several bars and had wide LCBO availability. Their one-offs and mix 4-packs encouraged me to try different beers, which in turn refined my tastes towards more superior beers. I rarely ever drink any Beau's offerings anymore, but I can appreciate the brand. If they sold their products in cans, I would buy their products occasionally.

On a similar note, whatever happened to Lone Pine showing up in tall cans? I don't see it listed on Drink Vine or the LCBO's website.

Even this article from The Toronto Star today shows Lone Pine being available in 473ml cans for $3.25.

http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2 ... noRedirect