Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

spinrsx wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote: I think it is great to see you guys continuing to push the boundaries with interesting styles and barrel aging. It is something we need more of in Ontario as many of our breweries shy away from this very thing. Stormy Monday was not for me, but maybe Norseman will be. I am not offended by the price (considering all the details) and will give it a try.
Well said, Bush Pilot guys. I will definitely give it a try too.
+1 to this

*cough* LCBO Product Number 369348 - Lake of Bays China Wall Vienna Lager $11.95 per 750ml bottle *cough*
I'll be echoing these sentiments as well. I agree that Stormy Monday wasn't for me but I love the mission you guys have set forth for your brand on principle. For the record, I'll be giving Norseman a try and if the bottled version is anything like the pilot batch at Cask Days last year I think I'll enjoy it very much.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

noticed this is listed again. Wonder if it will be better than last years version

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/nickel ... DVpokCy8nM

this is back too

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/nickel ... DVp8UCy8nM

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Pretty sure I still see Cuvee on shelves... have all year. Need to drink my '12 bottle.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

spinrsx wrote:noticed this is listed again. Wonder if it will be better than last years version

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/nickel ... DVpokCy8nM

this is back too

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/nickel ... DVp8UCy8nM
Why is this still being packaged in 750ml bottles? Shouldn't 12oz be relatively standard fare for high ABV beers?

Regardless, I'm not paying $13 to "see if this is better than last years version." Nickelbrook is consistently underwhelming across the board.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I've never tried the Cuvee so I'll probably get a fresh bottle if I happen to see it. I didn't mind Kentucky Bastard last year but there is no way I'd pay that much for it again. Yes I understand that barrels are expensive to acquire and there is lots of time and effort involved in the process. I still liked the unaltered Bolshevik Bastard more.

NB has fallen in love with those goofy 750 mL bottles and it really limits the amount of their beer that I am willing to repurchase. Do they can ANY of their good beers (Headstock excepted)? Because the only others I can think of off-hand are the organic lager, the apple pils and the gluten free one.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

darmokandjalad wrote:I've never tried the Cuvee so I'll probably get a fresh bottle if I happen to see it. I didn't mind Kentucky Bastard last year but there is no way I'd pay that much for it again. Yes I understand that barrels are expensive to acquire and there is lots of time and effort involved in the process. I still liked the unaltered Bolshevik Bastard more.

NB has fallen in love with those goofy 750 mL bottles and it really limits the amount of their beer that I am willing to repurchase. Do they can ANY of their good beers (Headstock excepted)? Because the only others I can think of off-hand are the organic lager, the apple pils and the gluten free one.
They moved Malevolent and Immodest into cans this year.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

liamt07 wrote:Nickelbrook is consistently underwhelming across the board.
Disagree. Equilibrium ESB, Immodest IIPA, the recently released Wet Hop are all excellent. Naughty Neighbour a very good standard quaffer. Bolshevik Bastard and Headstock are good too. What do you want? Perhaps some of their barrel aged efforts haven't been consistently great, but they are one of our better brewers IMO.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Craig wrote:They moved Malevolent and Immodest into cans this year.
I don't think either of those have ever made it to Sarnia in the first place (which is not their fault), but it's good to know they're at least trying.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Don't think either of those have made it to the LCBO at all, unfortunately. Brewery only.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

midlife crisis wrote:Don't think either of those have made it to the LCBO at all, unfortunately. Brewery only.
The LCBO has a strange thing with loving bombers and 750s, which may or may not be related.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Craig wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:Don't think either of those have made it to the LCBO at all, unfortunately. Brewery only.
The LCBO has a strange thing with loving bombers and 750s, which may or may not be related.
As long as "Single Serving Format, with Table Presence" is given as an equally weighted LCBO purchasing decision, we will continue to see overpriced 750ml bottles
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

icemachine wrote:
Craig wrote:
As long as "Single Serving Format, with Table Presence" is given as an equally weighted LCBO purchasing decision, we will continue to see overpriced 750ml bottles
How's it socially responsible to sell a larger format than required or desired by the consumer... it isn't. This is just their excuse when it's convenient.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

icemachine wrote:As long as "Single Serving Format, with Table Presence" is given as an equally weighted LCBO purchasing decision, we will continue to see overpriced 750ml bottles
I tend to overlook them completely now, don't feel I'm missing out most of the time. It's just a two-pack, not a whole birthday party in there.
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Blasphomet wrote:Pretty sure I still see Cuvee on shelves... have all year. Need to drink my '12 bottle.
So I drank my '12 NB Cuvee tonight. Wow... totally different then I remember. Even from the '13. Much more funky and sour. Still some of the barrel, but mostly a sour. Weird.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Blasphomet wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:Pretty sure I still see Cuvee on shelves... have all year. Need to drink my '12 bottle.
So I drank my '12 NB Cuvee tonight. Wow... totally different then I remember. Even from the '13. Much more funky and sour. Still some of the barrel, but mostly a sour. Weird.
No kidding? It went sour?

I had a 13 maybe a week ago and it wasn't sour at all. Different from fresh, but not sour. I guess I'll have to hold on to at least one bottle and see what it's like with another year on it.

The Cuvee isn't the best beer in the world, but I really like it as a different treat to pull from the cellar every now and then. It's pretty unique.