Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Holy crap. $13.95??!

MILL STREET BARLEY WINE
LCBO 70359 | 500 mL bottle

Price $ 13.95

Made in: Ontario, Canada

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ceecee wrote:LA RESOLUTION
LCBO 401166 | 750 mL bottle

Price $ 8.95

Made in: Quebec, Canada
Finally. Had a pint at Beer Bistro recently...really enjoyed it. It is a bit sweet and not as big a bold "Unibroue" profile as some of their beers.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Price $ 8.95

damnit, i just bought some in quebec

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

and it was more expensive there? confused about the 'damn it'

distr0 wrote:

Price $ 8.95

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

new:

MILL STREET WINTER SAMPLER**
Canada | Trillium Beverage Inc.
LCBO 397059 | 6x362 mL | $ 13.85

ROGUE YELLOW SNOW 5L PARTY KEG**
USA | Rogue Ales Brewery
LCBO 385427 | 5000 mL | N/A

and this is back?? (not supposed to be)

ST. AMBROISE RUSSIAN IMPERIAL STOUT
LCBO 171413 | 341 mL bottle
Price: $ 6.00

and the vintage vertical pack is listed again.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Ceecee wrote:Holy crap. $13.95??!

MILL STREET BARLEY WINE
LCBO 70359 | 500 mL bottle

Price $ 13.95

Made in: Ontario, Canada
i think that's been the standard price on that one since they switched from stubby's to ceramic. the sad part is the stubby's were around $5-6 if i remember right... so you're paying aaaaall that extra just for the ceramic bottle. barely worth the original $5-6 cost and certainly not worth the artificially inflated ceramic one.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I believe Mill Street is barrel aging their barley wine now as well. Started last year if memory serves.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

spinrsx wrote:and it was more expensive there? confused about the 'damn it'

distr0 wrote:

Price $ 8.95

haha, it just seems like every time i get something from outside ontario, the LCBO gets it in 2 weeks later

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

cfrancis wrote:I believe Mill Street is barrel aging their barley wine now as well. Started last year if memory serves.
all of it or just a selection for special events? don't recall hearing anything about the bottles being BA, but i may have forgotten...based on my past experience and the price tag, that's still not enough to make me buy it.
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

cfrancis wrote:I believe Mill Street is barrel aging their barley wine now as well. Started last year if memory serves.
You mean this:

Not sure how long they have been "careful[ly] aging in whiskey barrels", but that same copypasta is on all the 2012-13 bottles I can find.

Not that it does any good, this is a piss-poor example of a barley wine IMO, let alone a "barrel aged" one.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

There was two whole flats of last year's Mill Street barleywine batch sitting on the shelves of my local LCBO for at least 6-8 months. Pretty much untouched. They vanished overnight sometime in the early summer; maybe someone spontaneously decided to buy 24 bottles of the stuff, but I have a feeling management just wanted to free up the shelf space and foisted them off on other stores.

Barrel aged or not, $14 for a half-litre of beer that has received lukewarm reviews (at best) is outside of my price range, and I don't think I'm a minority as far as that sentiment goes. Mill Street should strongly consider ditching the ceramic bottles because as it stands the price point is way too god damned high.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

grub wrote:i think that's been the standard price on that one since they switched from stubby's to ceramic. the sad part is the stubby's were around $5-6 if i remember right... so you're paying aaaaall that extra just for the ceramic bottle. barely worth the original $5-6 cost and certainly not worth the artificially inflated ceramic one.
Stubby's were about 330ml to the Ceramic's 500ml. Still it's like they are now charging equivalent to 9.25 bucks for a stubby so over 50% price increase by volume. And you're right it (IME used to be) drinkable but no great shakes as a BW.

I think I had bottle number 98 of the '02 or '04, it was small runs in the beginning. Mill Street were this funny, cult-y little brewery back in the day (pre-sports bar) and it was fun to go there. Now I feel like I'd need to tap my line of credit to go dining in the Distillerahhh....
In Beerum Veritas

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

great lakes lake effect is on the shelves at the clarkson lcbo

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

tempest showing stock now

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

spinrsx wrote: ROGUE YELLOW SNOW 5L PARTY KEG**
USA | Rogue Ales Brewery
LCBO 385427 | 5000 mL | N/A
Well, I know what I'll be guzzling over the holidays. Can't wait for this one.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott