Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

rfrf wrote:Winey showing stock already, picked up a few at KingSpadina
Love to hear how this year's tastes guys, is it winey enough / can you taste the barrel oak?
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blasphomet wrote:Now that is a fair if you ask me for a 6 pack of the Twice as Mad Tom. Beats the 4 packs. And the new bottles like fantastic.
:) Gotta love mobile devices making us post like we have the ADHD app turned on... :lol:
In Beerum Veritas

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote:
rfrf wrote:Winey showing stock already, picked up a few at KingSpadina
Love to hear how this year's tastes guys, is it winey enough / can you taste the barrel oak?
Not sure about this year's yet, but I know as of a few weeks ago, they still had 2013 bottles at the brewery. The barrels are different, and the 2013 bottles are bottle conditioned, not sure about this year's...

Interesting to do a side-by-side.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Peche is showing stock today... Hopefully this means a larger roll out is coming very soon.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

spinrsx wrote:new:

Beaus Gigantic La Formidable
$5.25
This stuff is excellent

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

spinrsx wrote:

$5.25
This stuff is excellent
I've drank two of these over the last two days, i wouldn't call it excellent(IMHO) but I agree that it's a damn tasty beer.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
spinrsx wrote:

$5.25
This stuff is excellent
I've drank two of these over the last two days, i wouldn't call it excellent(IMHO) but I agree that it's a damn tasty beer.
What makes it not excellent then?

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

midlife crisis wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:
spinrsx wrote: This stuff is excellent
I've had this beer as well, and I would also say that while it's not excellent, it's pretty good.

To be excellent, it has to be as good as/better than the best beers in that style.

It's tough to find Belgian IPAs better than Houblon Chouffe, Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus and De Ranke XX. Hell, even Anchorage's Bitter Monk for that matter.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

liamt07 wrote: I've had this beer as well, and I would also say that while it's not excellent, it's pretty good.

To be excellent, it has to be as good as/better than the best beers in that style.

It's tough to find Belgian IPAs better than Houblon Chouffe, Dominus Vobiscum Lupulus and De Ranke XX. Hell, even Anchorage's Bitter Monk for that matter.
But that doesn't neatly fit in with the narrative/myth that most Ontario brewers are "as good, maybe better" than the best breweries in the world! :x

*throws hat on ground and stomps out of forum*
Last edited by cratez on Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

liamt07 wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote: I've drank two of these over the last two days, i wouldn't call it excellent(IMHO) but I agree that it's a damn tasty beer.
I've had this beer as well, and I would also say that while it's not excellent, it's pretty good.

Haven't had all of those, but it is at least the equal of, if not better than Houblon Chouffe. All a matter of personal taste of course. But following your logic, Stone IPA is not excellent because it is not better than Heady Topper?

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

cratez wrote:
liamt07 wrote: I've had this beer as well, and I would also say that while it's not excellent, it's pretty good.

But that doesn't neatly fit in with the narrative/myth that most Ontario brewers are "as good, maybe better" than the best breweries in the world! :x

*throws hat on ground and stomps out of forum*
Perhaps you prefer "anything with the name Beau's on it is crap and therefore doesn't need to be tasted".

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

cratez wrote: But that doesn't neatly fit in with the narrative/myth that most Ontario brewers are "as good, maybe better" than the best breweries in the world! :x
True story: when asked why VQA wines were so expensive, one local winemaker said that because Niagara is on about the same longitude as Bordeaux that they therefore had the potential to make just as good wines and therefore could charge just as much.

It also sometimes bothers me that there's many at the LCBO for whom their idea of "craft beer" is not only synonymous with "OCB" but often confined to it.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

midlife crisis wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:
spinrsx wrote: This stuff is excellent
It was tasty and enjoyable, but just doesn't give me that "holy shit" moment. I will be enjoying more of it, as I find it to be a pretty good deal

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

midlife crisis wrote: Haven't had all of those, but it is at least the equal of, if not better than Houblon Chouffe. All a matter of personal taste of course. But following your logic, Stone IPA is not excellent because it is not better than Heady Topper?
if one's a 8.5 out of 10 and one's a 9.5 out of 10, then yes, that is correct.

if Liam's saying it's a pretty good beer, but don't lose your shit and drink cans of it every day because it's life changing, then i'd listen to him (because i'd normally expect him to tell me that Beau's is crap)

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

atomeyes wrote:if one's a 8.5 out of 10 and one's a 9.5 out of 10, then yes, that is correct.
In that case I would call the first one excellent and the second "outstanding", "superlative" or "world class" then. But it's just semantics I suppose.
atomeyes wrote:if Liam's saying it's a pretty good beer, but don't lose your shit and drink cans of it every day because it's life changing, then i'd listen to him (because i'd normally expect him to tell me that Beau's is crap)
Think he said "damn tasty", which to me is better than pretty good.